Finale !

Saddletank, Christian and Stu: thank you all for the encouraging comments! Quite helpful they are!

Stu: you are soo right! An important missing detail, the more as the Faller people have even provided the holes in the bottom for six (!) rods!

I’m afraid, however, that I’m not yet prepa­red for point rodding: maybe this will follow later (pls see the penultimate paragraph below! :derisive: ).

Now a last lap of progress:

It occurred to me that I stumbled across the Scalescenes Warehouse I had made some time ago (and never used – just learning practice, a very good one). I put it behind one of the bridges, grabbed the camera – this came out:

post-12822-0-97776700-1408438804.jpg

I like this look, but this building will not be permanently attached (I fancy already a layout to put it on… :onthequiet: :onthequiet: ).

Finally here a few overview pics (weather being fair today, could do some photos):

post-12822-0-81149500-1408441234_thumb.jpg

Left hand side:

post-12822-0-74620400-1408439021_thumb.jpg

Camera a bit raised:

post-12822-0-06815600-1408439116_thumb.jpg

Then I tidied my basement a little (!) and found a nearly forgotten background I had made years ago for another layout. Gave it a try and this came out:

post-12822-0-72779200-1408439186_thumb.jpg

Quite a grey day, isn’t it? Could be made a little nicer… I got the blue rattle can, went into the garage (no smell in house, otherwise Better Half would become SWMBO…  :nono:  ) and tried my luck:

post-12822-0-01269600-1408439260_thumb.jpg

Lesson: I must learn to stop spraying before the blue becomes too prominent, and spray before adding the “structures”.

Well, this too is not a permanent part of the layout, was just another experiment. But not too bad the result, me thinks…?

Now only a few (or a lot??) minor betterments are to be cared of – in principle this Micro Time Saver is finished. In principle…! :boast:  :boast: 

Enigma Sidings looks like I had intended – yeah, some amendments are always inevitable as life goes in. But all points and the sector track thingies work flawless, my locos negotiate them without problems, uncoupling magnets do their duty…

It’s a pleasure to work play with it :senile:  Mind you: its central purpose was 1) to prove that Shortliner’s plan is workable (YES!) and 2) to spend some delightful hours with grandson no. 1 – and we are havin fun (even without point rodding… :derisive:  :derisive:   )!

Thank you all for following!

Regards

Armin

edit: wrong grammar

Hi Daniel and Richard !

Again thanks for your favourable comments! Help people to continue :locomotive:

A photo of the underside isn't worth any effort, 'cause in fact it would show no more than the untouched foamboard.

All the (simple) electrics and mechanics are laid down in grooves in the upper side and hidden under soil/grass.

Regards

Armin

Moin, moin Armin,

Will you submit the layout to the late Carl Arendt's site for small/micro layouts? It would fit right in there.

Ah yes: and do keep the additions - it looks very well now. The background looks cool already but I should think that some spray coat(s) with very, very much diluted black/dark grey will help improve it: which is an old theater trick ...

Best Regards,

Christian

Edit: Typos .. as usual 

• RMweb Premium

If a good layout is a compromise between good aesthetics and good operating interest, and a micro is a small layout, then this is surely one of the best micro layouts.

I hope Carl likes it ... it seems to be very much in his style.

- Richard,

Thank you, Christian.

This was what I had in mind from the very beginning. Did a start already as you can see at Railroad Line.

Regards

Armin

Och, Armin,

Do you really expect me to remember posts from 2 pages and four-and-a-half months ago?  :sarcastichand:  

I am like the ship's captain in whose jacket pocket they found the mysterious scrap of paper: "Port is left and starboard is right ..."  :sungum:

Will you do some more weathering, then? This is still not grimy enough IMO - especially with the muck the steamies had to have been putting out. But check with the SWMBO first - she may not like a grimy layout in the house ... I am speaking from personal knowledge here.  :scratchhead:

Best Regards,

Christian

Hi, Christian,

afraid, but I don't understand your first statement above. In fact, I didn't mention the New Scrapbook on page one... :O

And re. the weathering: in the flesh it looks pretty filthy. Enaff is enaff – – –  :triniti:

Armin

Hi, Christian,

afraid, but I don't understand your first statement above. In fact, I didn't mention the New Scrapbook on page one... :O

And re. the weathering: in the flesh it looks pretty filthy. Enaff is enaff – – –  :triniti:

Armin

Armin,

I assumed ... and did not check ... I am sorry. In my defense I can only that I read and replied today on the mobile with rather smalish display ...  navigating to different parts of a thread is rather cumbersome on my mobile.

Re. weathering: It often happens that the camera lessens the effects of weathering.

I like what you have achieved: so now go and have a serious play test layout operations  :senile:

Best Regards,

Christian

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread and I must say that it is a lovely little layout Armin.  I like the way you have developed the thread showing how you have done things.

Perhaps the layout is the German branch of the UK Enigma Engineering?

post-807-0-24188900-1412200509.jpg

Many thanks for your remarks, 5050 – indeed all of you for recent comments, it really is helping my modelling along.

"…perhaps the German branch of the UK Enigma Engineering?" well, one could say so – but ES pales in comparison with the masterly execution of EE (which I always have admired).

And I have to admit: the first part of the name indeed is shamelessly "inspired" by EE.

Kind regards

Armin

Many thanks for your remarks, 5050 – indeed all of you for recent comments, it really is helping my modelling along.

"…perhaps the German branch of the UK Enigma Engineering?" well, one could say so – but ES pales in comparison with the masterly execution of EE (which I always have admired).

And I have to admit: the first part of the name indeed is shamelessly "inspired" by EE.

Kind regards

Armin

Aww, shucks....................... :smile_mini2:

I feel all embarrassed now :blush_mini:

Three Divertimenti

Well, a few weeks are gone since the MicroSaver is finished ready for regular use. I thought I needed some diversion from what I’d made in the last months…

So I started three different jobs – very different.

The Adventure with the Bridge:

In post #34 above I mumbled about a bridge at the left side of the layout. I wrote “I fancied something light and slim, in no way obtrusive, in two words: a truss bridge. Should bear a single track railway…” Followed an image, and later on: “But I don’t think I’m able to make such a delicate structure in my workshop.”

To tell you the truth, already a week later I ordered the brass rods I considered necessary for the job. But only last week I felt ready to roll up the sleeves and get to grips with my bridge enterprise, or my First Divertimento.

From earlier lessons learned (i.e. making small amateur telescopes) I knew that a suitable jig is sometimes more important than the real work – here to cut and solder the rods.

So I got a scrap piece of wood (roughly the length of the intended bridge) and glued a stick along its edge.

Further I downloaded the picture that had sparked my imagination to use it as a template for the following procedure: with the trusty (rusty?) paint-shop-pro program I created a second layer, where I traced the trusses – first right half only, later mirrored and ad­ded to the left (makes the result symmetric - below in red).

post-12822-0-42062200-1412523350_thumb.jpg

This was printed to an A4 sheet, just the right length to span my layout (12"). Then trimmed and glued to my wooden jig:

post-12822-0-21178200-1412523375_thumb.gif

Next step was to provide channels for the vertical brass rods to be soldered. Pieces of thin card were glued down, separated by a 1mm Evergreen strip the same width as the brass rods:

post-12822-0-81653600-1412523402_thumb.jpg

Between card and wooden stick at the rear I left space for the truss to be laid along the bridge.

Then came the fun part: first solder two 30cm lengths of 1x1mm rod together to make said hori­zontal truss. Then cut the vertical rods to fitting length according to my template and solder that all together.

Of course the corresponding trusses (four to each length) must be of exactly equal length. Don’t want the structure to look oblique instead of square… A vice, a Dremel, a keen eye and a steady hand, that’s it.

Looks like I will go along with some success…

Watch this space, I will update as work will progress - comments welcome!

Armin

Armin - we have a saying over here, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" - meaning that "If it does everything you hoped when it is made, then the concept is right!" You have certainly proved that my concept would/will work, and made a really good job of it - Great job!

This is a shunting puzzle? There is no way of a train leaving the scene?

Julie

They don't have to. My 'Peforia Narrows' is completely self-contained.  Operators spot cars depending on the way the cards are dealt.  Once done, the cards are shuffled and off you go again!

Armin - we have a saying over here, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" - meaning that "If it does everything you hoped when it is made, then the concept is right!" You have certainly proved that my concept would/will work, and made a really good job of it - Great job!

Thanks Jack, that's much appreciated… and, yes, I really am rather pleased with how it's turned out :sungum: 

Armin

Some progress made:

Here we go: first half of one side laid out

post-12822-0-07852600-1412798502_thumb.jpg

then soldered:

post-12822-0-04626900-1412798531_thumb.jpg

Looks promising, doesn't it?

Secondly – The Diorama:

If you think that I went into another “task” with the intent to relieve my burnt fingertips – no way! I know how to use tweezers etc. and keep the skin away from iron and tin. (Without Blood, Sweat and Swears…  :declare:  )

Well, I had never seen the need for any of my layouts to produce a nice green on sloping ground, sprinkled with various bushes etc. So I decided to try exactly this – on a little piece of scrap plywood not much would be lost if it should not go like I imagine. My goal was to come near to what masters like Giles (The Loop, The End of the Line) and others exhibit here ( or Milocomarty there).

Some cork out of the bits box, a few inches of track plus the fitting bumper –
here we are:

post-12822-0-20360600-1412798829_thumb.jpg

I knew I had kept some blue packaging foam, somewhere in the darkness under my work­table… :O   For exactly such an occasion. Ah, here it is, spiderwebbed and dusty, but… Then re­mainders of foamcore, all well trimmed and glued down:

post-12822-0-00374500-1412798890_thumb.jpg

Then came what boys (regardless of their age!) like so much: playing with mud. In this case it was homemade paper-machée:

post-12822-0-50298500-1412798948_thumb.jpg

How I make this stuff: tear sufficient pages of old newspaper, fill it with water into my oni­oncutter.

MY cutter! I don’t borrow the blender from the kitchen – not even when SHE is out of town! Cause I know how to behave and bought my own – cheaply (Aldi). This may beco­me dirty as it likes – newspaper inks are rather ugly to remove!

This paper-water-mix is blended until no more pieces are discernible, just fibres. Strain this stuff, press the remaining water out and then… I have a dumpling (kinda) to which I add one or two spoonful of wallpaper glue (Metylan). Knead this thorougly (as I said: boys like this :mosking: ) and that’s all! (May even be kept in the fridge for some weeks – just don’t let it get dry.)

The wallpaper glue will hold the stuff together. To keep it firmly on the underground, how­ever, the usual measure of PVA is needed.

Others like to add brown paint before putting it down; IMO this is needless, since later it anyway will be covered with soil, grass etc… (Also, soil is more often grey than brown.)

Now its drying time, a modellers biggest enemy… :threaten:

You know, this will continue, so wait a little…

Armin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the brass bridge is coming along. I managed to bend one of the 2x2mm brass rods without producing kinks and to round out the first side. May be shown to polite comp, me thinks:

post-12822-0-48315000-1413579834_thumb.jpg

post-12822-0-20953300-1413579872_thumb.jpg

The little diorama also made its way. It got its first ground cover – plain green flocks nearly over all:

post-12822-0-41723500-1413579950_thumb.jpg

The hoover relieved the track of its unsightly burden:

post-12822-0-57592000-1413579979_thumb.jpg

Next step will see the appearance of the grassmaster (homemade). It will sprinkle various areas with various grasses…

Third Divertimento: The Boxcab:

Obviously I do not have enough to do to fill my days. Or how could I otherwise start into the next adventure?

Since some time I wanted to have a BOXCAB (I have some US stock). If not a boxcab, then a TRAM, or maybe a TRACTOR. Regardless how we name it – one of those early Diesel engi­nes used at plants, harbours etc. or running along streets (like these – unfortunately they are On30).

But (for H0) I could find only a Grandtline kit, the GE 23ton. Nice, but very small and unable to pull much more than itself. Still, it was an interesting experience to put this little beauty together. Became a siding queen…

So I pondered how to deliver something bigger and stronger. I had no real prototype in mind, so a lot of modeller’s license came into play. Eventually I stumbled over a curious “tractor” shown by Giles in his The Loop thread – last picture in this post – I slowly got the needed ideas.

There was a diesel engine (unknown make) of bad behaviour; had gotten it for cheap money in that wellknown bay. Had not thrown it away, don’t know, why… OK, this could perhaps serve as basis for my “boxcab”?

Also I searched for and found a brake van with roofed ends. What about using its shell and putting it on top of the diesel mechanics?

Quite a curious idea: take an Amtrak shunter (well: it’s H0!) and combine it with an OO brake van (I believe, it’s Dapol…). Silly, isn’t it? Yeah, typical for Armin!

And these parts in fact went together not too badly (brake van body already sprayed blue and dark grey plus chimney attached):

post-12822-0-24133800-1413580012_thumb.jpg

post-12822-0-59400000-1413580035_thumb.jpg

post-12822-0-50276600-1413580075_thumb.jpg

What could be best used as side plates and as a cow catcher…? Your ideas are welcome!

Quite a lot to do (not that I'm complaining…)

Watch for further developments

Armin

There are these cow catchers/pilots from the USA ; http://www.locopainter.com/store/product.php?id=703

Plenty of other cow catchers here ; http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=CAST%20BRASS%20OLD%20TIME%20HO%20STEAM%20LOCOMOTIVE%20WOOD%20COW%20CATCHER%20PILOT%20DECK&_itemId=370601206378

As for the side frames/covers, sheet it in styrene and add a few thin strips for detailing and maybe a couple of Archer rivets ; http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88103.html

Cheers, Gary.

Archived