Bit of a progress report (after a lengthy flu related hiatus):

The last pic of the brass bridge shows the first side soldered together with its arc. Second side was made the same way. Then these both had to be connected – all square and strong, please.

So another jig came into play. I glued two lenghts of (very thick) ply together; this gave me the horizontal distance I wanted. These were packed with two bits of masonite (ahh – sort of…) to provide the needed depth:

post-12822-0-11078600-1416089969_thumb.jpg

post-12822-0-10652600-1416090007_thumb.jpg

And this was the result:

post-12822-0-62512100-1416090037_thumb.jpg

Looking no bad, me thinks…

Watch this space!

Armin

Andy, thanks for your favourable comment - it's appreciated!

The DIORAMA too saw a bit of improvement:

I got my grassmaster (formerly electronic fly swatter), put various brands of “grass” into the sieve (the short ones first, later the >6mm), and strained the fibres with a coffee stirrer down onto the various places.

I never coat all the area over with the same kind of fibres; I choose and PVA various spots – small as well as larger – to cover. I too observe to vary the colours, e.g. fresh green in the trench alongside the track, dry looking beige at the elevation left:

post-12822-0-43033700-1416512238_thumb.jpg

A few bushes are already grown – they are still rather small for the time being… Above right the grass is quite low and dull (must be very dry there!), and along the right edge we even see bare ground. Here I sprinkled some real soil found in our garden (after washing baked half an hour in the oven and then strained through a fine (!) sieve).

Btw: this shows that soil (the prototypical one) rarely is brown as many want make us believe. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Instead it is just grey, plain warm grey. Quite often, at least… :O

Here another pic at the same stage together with the converted swatter. Experience tells me that it is not necessary to stick the nail into the wetted portion of the diorama. I can place it anywhere – as you see, even sideways into the foam – and it still delivers the x000-volt potential all over the layout:

post-12822-0-96135700-1416512264.jpg

This step already brought relatively high and dense grass – looks a bit like a fur, unkempt and varied. I think that’s sufficient. :yes:

Now a lot more bushes, brambles and higher grass on single spots. And the track and ballast, of course…

A tree, perhaps…? A little person? 8)

Watch this space – more to come…

Armin

To complement the last instalment:

When I add longer static grass on top of an already laid layer, I need not wait until it’s dry; instead I go along immediately. Anyway surplus will be hoovered away – this after thorough drying.
Also I do not soak the already laid grass (that would flatten it to a mat, sort of), rather what I do is more like dry brushing with PVA. Just the tips get glue, thus the new fibres will stay on top of the lower ones, making it all more fluffy. You know, I’m not after an original Eng­lish lawn. Not near the track of my layouts…

Back to the BRASS BRIDGE:

I have to confess a little sin – no, it’s not a sin – just an oversight. In my quest for a really elegant bridge I didn’t look closely enough at its height. HaHa, beginner…

Result: when I started with the little trusses on top, I discovered that the whole thing is a bit low, to say the least. Well, I didn’t like the idea of messin around or starting from square one again. So I went along and what I now have is a bridge that is just suited for low Köf locos,

post-12822-0-73753600-1416672074.jpg

surely not for steamers with high rise smoke stacks and high roofed wagons, like here:

post-12822-0-43843900-1416672098.jpg

But it still looks really elegantly…

That's how it looks after priming and painting (also added a little rust – not much, as I don’t like those hopelessly grotty structures):

post-12822-0-58289700-1416672124_thumb.jpg

post-12822-0-33489200-1416672147_thumb.jpg

Now I must ponder how to make it an integral part of ENIGMA SIDINGS…

Your comments etc. are appreciated

Armin

Adrian, thanks for the many C/C buttons - really appreciated esp. when they come from the builder of a truly marvellous layout (with a lot of wit in the comments)!

Michael, thanks too for your comments, they're helpful. In this case, however, I will leave it as it is. First, it bears a non working track across the layout. Second, it's painted already, don't like to unsolder it. Third: I like it as it is.

Cheers

Armin

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I finally stopped procrastinating and got some pictures ready for this thread.

First I positioned the bridge on the layout where I had fancied it – this came out:

post-12822-0-61532300-1418845380.jpg

It's just a mock up, but in comparison to the version I presented in post #44 this is a huge improvement, I think – even if neither the abutments are done nor the ends are finished.

Also on the diorama I made some progress: track relaid and ballasted plus a first hint of shrubbery:

post-12822-0-64519400-1418845424.jpg

Which reminds me I need to get much better at making trees. See here:

post-12822-0-18317000-1418845452.jpg

post-12822-0-94415200-1418845475.jpg

I welcome your thoughts…

Armin

Hello, Armin,

Very nicely done with the bridge there! Just get on with mounting it. :declare:

As for the small diorama: the siding must have been freshly ballasted - not a blade of grass within the ballast  ... :sungum:

The tree looks like a beech to me ...

Best Regards,

Christian Klammer

• RMweb Gold

Hi Armin, The tree is really good with some lovely colouring in the bark, and sits just nicely in it's surroundings on the bank of grass, I think when you have blended the bridge in with the abutments it will be a great feature. all the very best for Christmas and the New Year Adrian.

Christian and Adrian: thank you for your comments – they’re appreciated!

To close the chapter of these three Divertimenti:

The bridge is finished – eventually I will do new abutments and fit track bearing planks plus track. In hindsight I’m rather satisfied about the outcome;    :sungum:   one year ago I would have laugh­ed at any invitation to start such an undertaking    :no:  :no: 

The diorama too does need just a little attention: the widget that has to accept my various trees still is a contraption which results in rather wonky plants. It is a magnet buried in a hole. Will get a collar hidden in grass, much high grass…  :whistle:

Last comes the boxcab I bodged together. Here I’m not so glad about the result. But as a first attempt to scratchbuild a vehicle it may be presented to polite company, I think. Here it is (still to be weathered):

post-12822-0-85791200-1419103915_thumb.jpg

To be honest: I've never been really happy with this vehicle, but after I had begun it, it had to be brought to an end – to the best of my efforts… :danced: :danced:

In the background there loiters another of my trees around – another one of my various diver­timenti. Something unspecified deciduous in the fall. In this case I used real fall leaves (cherry me thinks), dried, crushed and sterilized in the oven (no dissens with the Good Lady):

post-12822-0-99301600-1419103947_thumb.jpg

I think, it's time for the lazy guy to close his journal and rise before it becomes really frosty…

Now I would like to wish you all
a very Merry Chistmas
and all the Best for the New Year

Armin

Archived