Swad Lane.

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Just a recent edition from Hattons - my BD/FD present 3 X Warwells.  Pictured on the test track - great items and heavy enough to go round small curve.  Also pictured with Hornby Manston and kit built Saracen - oops Scimitar with apologies to ABB.

post-12576-0-91931100-1498472383_thumb.jpgpost-12576-0-81362100-1498472360_thumb.jpg

Edit = correction of military item by son

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks and welcome.

Following on from your comment I have accessed your own and understand why you are modelling Wigan - a place I hear of because of its rugby team but have never visited.  I will drop in to watch your progress.  Swad Lane was initially built as DC by Trevor Toone whose scratch buildings are superb.  I added the DCC and control panel, fiddle yard and cameos etc.  It is now 12' x 2' and has its own cradle which at exhibition also acts as part of the support and with ply divisions also acts as the stock table.

The only problem here is that the new 'estate' cars have sloping rears and are more like hatchbacks so are not very useful as the rear openings do  to have enough height. 

Cheers, Peter

Thanks and welcome.

Following on from your comment I have accessed your own and understand why you are modelling Wigan - a place I hear of because of its rugby team but have never visited.  I will drop in to watch your progress.  Swad Lane was initially built as DC by Trevor Toone whose scratch buildings are superb.  I added the DCC and control panel, fiddle yard and cameos etc.  It is now 12' x 2' and has its own cradle which at exhibition also acts as part of the support and with ply divisions also acts as the stock table.

The only problem here is that the new 'estate' cars have sloping rears and are more like hatchbacks so are not very useful as the rear openings do  to have enough height. 

Cheers, Peter

Wigan has lots of potential spots to model too! Ironic that there are two of us on here modelling Wigan Wallgate. I'd certainly recommend a visit to Wigan if you have the time. You have certainly done a good job of making the layout your own. I will be following closely from now on.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I hope you enjoy the Weston Show mate, it's always a good event.

Thanks Andy - I am hoping that this year's event will be the biggest one yet. It could be my last as organiser. Looking forward to welcoming Peter and Swad Lane to the show.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Swad Lane initially worked well - the work carried out during the week paying dividends,  Later in the afternoon was not so good.  Thanks to our young member who did a sterling running job.

I was extremely pleased that the organisers enabled us to observe the Two Minutes Silence of Remembrance.

Edit = spelling correction

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Final programme for our Open Event Easter Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday 1st and 2nd April.

Swad Lane, Welham Yard and the beginnings of a club N-gauge layout.

Cheers, Peter

post-12576-0-77204900-1521280916_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very happy with Swad Lane over our open weekend.  The three young members of our club were let free to run it so that I could concentrate on the event itself.  They were fantastic throughout the event and many visitors said they were pleased to see them actually running layouts.  They alternated between Swad Lane and our main Coopers Dale and Marston (Railway Modeller March 2017) layouts.  Thanks also go to those RMwebbers who visited.

I am happy to sell it now as I cannot commit to exhibitions with it this year.

Cheers, Peter

Edit - As Andy P said it should be Coopers Dale and Marston!

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 2

Very happy with Swad Lane over our open weekend.  The three young members of our club were let free to run it so that I could concentrate on the event itself.  They were fantastic throughout the event and many visitors said they were pleased to see them actually running layouts.  They alternated between Swad Lane and our main Coopers Dale and Wychnor (Railway Modeller March 2017) layouts.  Thanks also go to those RMwebbers who visited.

I am happy to sell it now as I cannot commit to exhibitions with it this year.

Cheers, Peter

Good news about the Kids Peter, and I'm sure you meant Coopers Dale and Marston. 

Selling such a fine Layout? 

I hope it finds a good home.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately not been able to exhibit this year because of variable other commitments.  Currently set up in our clubroom, for sale includes cradle and trestles but not stock or controller, but not part of our Mince Pie Weekend on 8th and 9th December 2018.

post-12576-0-83722500-1536349133_thumb.jpg

Not on flyer is that the O Gauge Guild will have a presence.

Hope to see some of you there, cheers, Peter

Edited by PeterBB

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is no longer for sale as now under new ownership, pity I can only fit the two scenic boards up in its present location.

Thanks to Peter for his hospitality etc when I collected it yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got the scenic boards up and everywhere except one length of track is fully operational. I suspect a loose wire has happened in the move so will fault find that one when I get some time. It's not a part of the track I'll really be able to use that much without the fiddle yard connected so I can still operate.

Now I need to remember how to use my powercab and what all the sound functions on my locos are!

• Like 4

Did a fair bit of operating yesterday and all track is live and working. I do have a couple of streetlights out but there are a couple of loose thinner wires underneath, easy fix I think.

One problem I am having I believe are the wheels of my DCC sound 08 and 20 shorting across the insulfrog point frog. Solving this might be a bit of a pain as you really need to cut the link wires under the point then treat it as you would an electrofrog. I don't want to, but might end up pulling the points out and fitting electrofrog ones with the wired frog/crossing. I'd probably go for cobalts to switch them and remove the over centre springs at the same time,

Like I say I don't want to do it really, but I don't know of another solution without pulling the points up. I guess it's not that bad as long as I match the ballasting... eek.

• Like 1

I have moified laid points before Norman, take a dremmell to roughly where the join wires are and cut. then take a thin wire from inside the Frog ''V'' not where the wheels go, and drop that through, and then cut the rails beyond the ''V''. 

post-9335-0-22612500-1545838024_thumb.png

Hope that helps.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Informative/Useful 1