Swad Lane.

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Overall a pleasant long weekend.  Spent some money ... as usual.  The 'odd problem' as always but some pleasant surprises after yesterday - the class 08s and 20s ran well whereas the 37s were mixed.  The crane would not complete its route through to the fiddle yard so that will be a modification before Ruddington in July.  Replaced one of the handset leads and put a 'holder' behind the layout near the control box.  A further thought - would it be better if the fiddle yard points were controlled in the fiddle yard rather than from the main control ... especially if lone working ... just a thought but I will not change it ... yet?

Completely packed up and loaded in half an hour thanks to Big John helping to load 'the cradle' with its entire load in one operation.  No photographs taken but, someone has said that they will send me some photographs and agreed that I could put them on the web ... we will see when they arrive.

Cheers Peter

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No photographs yet but all the repairs now completed.  Trying to find a replacement estate that will take the 'cradle' - current one well over 100,000 miles on the clock but, thankfully, still going well.  All the modern estates ones are too 'rounded' with limited 'boot' headroom and have seats that do not fold down flat - so unsuitable and unable to fit the cradle into them.  They seem to have this 'electronic brakes'  agh!

Cheers, Peter

• RMweb Gold

No photographs yet but all the repairs now completed.  Trying to find a replacement estate that will take the 'cradle' - current one well over 100,000 miles on the clock but, thankfully, still going well.  All the modern estates ones are too 'rounded' with limited 'boot' headroom and have seats that do not fold down flat - so unsuitable and unable to fit the cradle into them.  They seem to have this 'electronic brakes'  agh!

Cheers, Peter

Peter,

I assume the Peugeot 308 is no good.  I think that is the car Andy P. has.  It certainly is roomy inside and the seats go flat.  It is bigger inside than the 407.

Peter,

I assume the Peugeot 308 is no good.  I think that is the car Andy P. has.  It certainly is roomy inside and the seats go flat.  It is bigger inside than the 407.

Your right Chris, Peter and I both have 308's and my 6ft Glen Roy / West Shed would just go in with the front passenger seat forward a notch or two, but it wouldn't go in my 408.

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

Chris,

Thanks for your input to which I cannot agree with your first statement so will reply here.  The 308SW - the one Andy and I both have is fantastic ... but the later one and the 508 and the Skoda just do not match up with the 'headroom' or 'the width' to enable the cradle to be on the right and leave enough space for everything else,  The distance between the wheel arches must also be just over 1m.  Andy can get his longer one in if he puts the front seat forward but, of course, this reduces passenger comfort.

Cheers, Peter 

Spelling edit.

Edited by PeterBB

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Thanks for your input to which I cannot agree with your first statement so will reply here.  The 308SW - the one Andy and I both have is fantastic ... but the later one and the 508 and the Skoda just do not match up with the 'headroom' or 'the width' to enable the cradle to be on the right and leave enough space for everything else,  The distance between the wheel arches must also be just over 1m.  Andy can get his longer one in if he puts the front seat forward but, of course, this reduces passenger comfort.

Cheers, Peter 

Spelling edit.

Peter,

It does seem that they are making cars smaller, unless you want a 4x4 which can be enormous. I had a Volvo 240 (?), then  two 406s, and now a 308.  Getting smaller without really downsizing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Swad Lane will be at GCR Nottingham on 30th and 31st July.  Andy P and Binny will be there on the 30th and Beefy56100, a new member of the RMweb on the 31st with Big J.

Welcome to the RMweb Beefy56100

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Swad Lane at GCR Nottingham this weekend with Andy P,  Binny, George T, et al joining and running on Saturday and Beefy and Big J on Sunday.

Some changes to the track; more people on station and 'working' elsewhere  ... the schoolboys show the 'bullied' one on his own and the 'late' one waving his hand to the rest, not forgetting the superb Trevor Toone works buildings.

Look forward to seeing some of you.

Cheers, Peter

Spelling only

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1

Should be a good day Peter, I will be bringing my Sound fitted 33, 25, and 2 x 47's for a play, I must remember to take my Kadee Couplings off and re fit some Tension Locks for compatibility with your Stock.

Looks good. Saw it briefly at the GCR event. As for transport, a Mondeo estate is rather massive and (at least for the mk3 (upto 07 plate)) has fold flat seats and whilst it curves down at the back, it is long enough not to be a problem probably.

• RMweb Gold

Setup today went quite well, lights, points and track lined up well and worked.  Initially smoked out by an 8F steam up but the air cleared after a while.

Strange how floors affect things - had to loosen the 'chains' by 4 stops compared to last nights check, to get Swad Lane level.  Generally clear runs, possibly one rail join to check first thing tomorrow.  Class 8 do not run over point 5/6 so will not run but Class 20 and 37 seem OK.

We are in the long shed on the right which has a greasy floor, the amount not noticed until I went home and left grease marks on the carpet ... you can imaging the response obtained from  S....   On cleaning later the soles of my shoes had about 1/8th" crud stuck to them and you should have seen the knees on my jeans!

There are additions on Swad Lane as previously mentioned now including passengers in the Volkswagen (Andy P did not like it in the front without passengers so there are now 5 plus luggage) painted with the help of my son whose initial features in wagon attachment GCRN_4_160729 and who built the Airfix kits. There is also a military unit movement a Troop Squadron of HCR and, as stated above more people everywhere either waiting or 'doing'.

Odd story here, following discussion I thought about getting him a Scimitar as a surprise item for his birthday but had to source from Canada.  He had a similar idea independently because he thought a military scene on Rothleigh would be good and sourced the same supplier in Canada.  She contacted him since our surname is not exactly common and as a result sent all four to him in one package - the surprise therefore became mine not his.  If you are able to see closely (unlikely) one of the LWD Landrovers has dials painted inside it but unfortunately it went through a huge puddle on the way! 

Hope it works tomorrow and does not do a "Deesdale Road' like it did at Stafford a couple of years ago.

Remembered my camera this time so  ...

post-12576-0-47028000-1469826481_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-62456500-1469826587_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-03915800-1469826548_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-95759100-1469826609_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-32074900-1469826633_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-89726500-1469826659_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-13151600-1469826672_thumb.jpg

Hope to see you, cheers, Peter

Edit spelling only PBB

post-12576-0-66671500-1469826528_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 6

I'm pleased to say Swad Lane worked well today, but it was a very good job the A TEAM (That's me BTW) arrived with my small Fleet, as Peter had left his Locos at home. We managed a good service with a pair of Duffs a Rat and a Compton. Normal Service was resumed about 11.15.

Thanks Peter for allowing us to have a good Play on SL.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My pleasure and thanks for holding the fort because of my fault during a 60 miles dash to retrieve.  I too was pleased that it worked well but forgot to take pictures of you, Binny, George T, John B and Mike while you were there.

PS Added lighting to the layout and boy was I pleased to have done so.

Thanks again, cheers, Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys, your help was appreciated as was Big Jon and Michael today with some timely help from Chris Spinks who just appeared right on time to do a useful stint.  Swad Lane itself went well today and there were many favourable comments.  On my part I am so pleased that I added overhead lighting which also did not 'lose' the layout lighting.  The fiddle yard will need its own source because we could not see the points to check that they were as needed so, there is more work to be done prior to its next outing.

Cheers, Peter

PS Will hopefully add some pictures soon PBB  

• Like 2

Swad Lane itself went well today and there were many favourable comments. On my part I am so pleased that I added overhead lighting which also did not 'lose' the layout lighting. The fiddle yard will need its own source because we could not see the points to check that they were as needed so, there is more work to be done prior to its next outing.

You may find a recent post here about a small cheap usb led light useful for the fiddle yard, or underneath for emergencies perhaps as only needs 5v.

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys, your help was appreciated as was Big Jon and Michael today with some timely help from Chris Spinks who just appeared right on time to do a useful stint.  Swad Lane itself went well today and there were many favourable comments.  On my part I am so pleased that I added overhead lighting which also did not 'lose' the layout lighting.  The fiddle yard will need its own source because we could not see the points to check that they were as needed so, there is more work to be done prior to its next outing.

Cheers, Peter

PS Will hopefully add some pictures soon PBB

There will be plenty of light when you bring the layout to Weston on Trent in November.

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to know there will be light Andy.

Having said that it was also difficult  to check that the fiddle yard points had changed for 'Operator One' and "Operator Two' had to go to the main control to change the FY points and therefore I intended at some time to make them dual operator possible.  I had the opportunity to repair odd bits of Swad Lane that were needed and thought about the points while some more 'people painting' took place and started on a control panel and progressed.

The current state of incompleteness is shown in the attached photographs;

post-12576-0-25334800-1470591899_thumb.jpg

I started with the control panel planning then found three suitable switches and decided to fit them

post-12576-0-66694600-1470591964_thumb.jpg

Well, I might as well try to do some wiring but  - How am I going to connect them up?  Cut a tag bar down to 15 and worked out which wires needed to go where. I then thought that I might try to connect the 3 to the tag board.

post-12576-0-19628600-1470591996_thumb.jpg

Then I thought I could wire up a couple of them (please do not look too closely at the soldering) realised that I could connect all the wires to the tag board from the existing points so did so.  The back of the fiddle yard board as is  - and all the wires labelled.

Need more switches to complete the job and then a chance to set up and check it all out.  Its still taken me hours but, hopefully, it will all come out right in the end.  NB Andy P - its not me its these keys 'ned'!  

Cheers, Peter

Edit - spelling only PBB  Edit - spelling 2 and even trying 'right the wrong' the automatic keys tried to change it three times - thanks for POINTING it out!  PBB

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a good lesson to all of us who don't label our wiring. I for one will be following your lead with future builds Peter. That is a rather neat job too BTW. 

regards Shaun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shaun,  

Thanks for that - although I didn't initially build Swad Lane I think that I can call it 'mine' now always allowing for the fact that there is no way that I can build buildings to the quality of those on the layout built by Trevor Toone.  George T thought that I had 'blossomed' in the last year and Andy P agreed with him.  What I do know is that I am prepared to tackle a lot more things since adding the extension to Deesdale Road and now (even though the recent soldering could be better - I used some of my Dad's old stuff initially, vintage 30 years old, and not fluxed). it seems strange that my first soldering was only 6/12 ago and I am beginning to enjoy it, paint people and take vehicles apart to add them and am now planning to add vehicle lights ... we will see how it goes.

Hope things are going better for you and yours now, cheers, Peter

• Like 2