Class 114 DMU

JCL

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I'm looking at kitbashing a Lima 117 into a 114 DMU, mainly because they were very common on the line to Skegness, which is where I used to live. I've found some photos on Flickr, and the smallish diagrams on www.railcar.co.uk, but I was wondering if any of the first generation DMU books have either a good plan or a good side view (hopefully with underframe detail).

I''m in Canada, so unfortunately I can't get to a transport bookshop to look at them. If not, then I'll head back to the Flickr photos and put something together from there.

Thankyou

Jason

That may not be a particularly easy conversion to do unless you can find bodyside overlays from somewhere. While they were about the same length (give or take 6 inches) the Class 117s were suburban units so they had lots of doors all the way along the bodysides while the 114s only had a couple on each side.

There may be other sources, but I know DC kits do kits of class 114s

• RMweb Premium

I have Hugh Longworth's "British Railways First Generation DMU" book. There are photos of each class of DMU with diagrams and seating plans BUT these are tiny (no bigger than my little finger) and give no underframe detail.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone. I'm going to produce the sides myself using the Silhouette Cameo cutter, and keep the top and front. I'm not sure if the inner endure the same as the 117, so I'll have to look into that. I found Jim Smith Wright's website a couple of days ago, and it's proved to be very interesting and I think it will be a help. Hi Welly, thanks for that, it sounds like I might be better trawling the web. Thanks also Clive, I found that book on Railcar.co.uk, but it looks like the PDF you linked to is at a higher resolution, so it could be a much better piece in the jigsaw. Once I get to my computer this evening I'll download it and look at importing it in.

Cheers

Jason

Didnt Craftsman do a brass etch conversion kit (overlay sides) to make a class 114 from a Lima 117?

Craftsman still supply such kits, and include a myriad of other detailing bits to make a proper job of things. I know I did a Derby Lightweight overlay kit of theirs onto a Hornby 110 and it looks particularly darn good with flush glazing etc.

Thought it was worth mentioning

Didnt Craftsman do a brass etch conversion kit (overlay sides) to make a class 114 from a Lima 117?

Craftsman still supply such kits, and include a myriad of other detailing bits to make a proper job of things. I know I did a Derby Lightweight overlay kit of theirs onto a Hornby 110 and it looks particularly darn good with flush glazing etc.

Thought it was worth mentioning

Yes they did (and still do - Item MU9 @£33.50 here http://www.craftsmanmodels.co.uk/cat.pdf).

What is very sparse is underframe info for the DTCL I've tried to find info with the help of others - see thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1893-derby-heavyweight-dmu-tops-114148/ J S-W had not done his at this time - but that should fill in some detail as well.

Hope that helps?

• RMweb Gold

The Craftsman etched sides are lovely I have a part done one in as box pending a very wet day ! For a quick fix very reccomended but cutting your own sounds fun. trailling end of coaches more like a Mk1 with a three faceted face with windows let in end of van trailer had solid ends due to toilet compartment postition.

I guarded several trips on them in the west midlands and did last ever trip on T025 in 1992, put it on TS depot ok and next visit the following day show on cond list! DTSL heaters a nightmare due lack of battery power but power car and van always toasty warm! 

I think one set remains in the real world at Midland Railway Centre.

I look foward to progress!

Robert

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone. I think I have enough now to make a start planning and drawing up the sides. I did notice the end there being in three planes, I'll have to have a look at how this will affect the model's roof.

power car and van always toasty warm! 

I seem to remember that I used to travel in the guard's van a lot because my kid brother was still in his pram. We used to get on at Wainfleet which had a low platform, so the guard used to help my mum get his chariot into the train.

Thinking about the fact that this is in the Prototypes section, I'll put the build up on my Wainfleet thread. I'm toing and froing between here and the big city (Calgary), so I've got a couple of things on the go at the moment, so this could take a bit of time.

Thanks again

Jason

Archived