hawksworth 15XX pannier tank from MOK

steve fay

Hi all I've been I've been in touch with Dave Sharp at Modern Out Line kits about the possibility of doing a kit of the 15xx pannier tank. I've sent him drawings and he has actually measured up 1501 at the SVR.

If you would like a kit of this loco then please register your interest with MOK on there web site,

modernoutline.co.uk

MOK only produce a limited number of kits now as with the 9F which is being done in a batch of 75.

We have also been talking about a kit of the BR standard class 3 tank. Especially as the new build is taking shape at Bridgnorth

post-5983-0-07108500-1399292228_thumb.jpg

It's such an imposing locomotive and very different from any thing else from the Swindon stable.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 3

post-5983-0-03432100-1399306071_thumb.jpg

This is the other loco I would like to see MOK produce, again you can register your interest on there web site. May be a BR standard class 4 4.6.0 as well seen as they have done the mogul version

I must admit, I am tempted by the 15xx. It would be a crazy, luxury purchase for me as it could only be run in secret when no one was watching, but I would like to build a MOK kit, and somehow I don't think they are going to get around to a Sacre 6A or something of that sort. I am giving it a lot of thought. 

Hmmm. 1501, 1502 and 1509 were sold to the NCB for use at Coventry colliery in 1961. It would be a bit of a stretch, but I suppose could run one on the colliery line at Cwm Bach. This requires further meditation.

• Like 2

Get in there quick Chris, only 75 being done.

Put me down for one as well.

The BR standard 3 tank would be great for your Cambrian theme at the moment. Don't forget guys just take the time to register your interest with Dave

Not sure about the standard 3. Got a standard 2 tank on the go which will do me.

I need one other small tank to meet my needs as a station pilot. Hence my interest in the 15XX. A little different to the normal bog standard pannier.

• Like 1

Hmmm. 1501, 1502 and 1509 were sold to the NCB for use at Coventry colliery in 1961. It would be a bit of a stretch, but I suppose could run one on the colliery line at Cwm Bach. This requires further meditation.

Chris does this help you with your decisionpost-5983-0-32312500-1399319132.jpg
  • Like 3

I've just heard from Dave and he's putting a list together of all those who are interested in both the 15xx & BR std 3 tank

So if you haven't already, contact Dave on DSharp@modernoutline.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

Shame only 1501 survived, with the other 2 being donors. She will pull the back end of a house with her dustbins and as excellent acceleration. Its a darn sight eaiser to prep than a standard pannier.

I am sure it would make quite a model

• Like 1

Here a 15 at work at Didcot, it seems these locos got about a lot more than I first thought which is great because now every one should have one!!post-5983-0-97889700-1399368037.jpg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 3

Here a 15 at work at Didcot, it seems these locos got about a lot more than I first thought which is great because now every one should have one!!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And it will force those of us brought up on a diet of GWR locos to learn the mysteries of assembling walschearts outside valve gear. By the way, if you ever  find yourself playing the parlour game "Name a Famous Belgian", which doesn't usually last very long, you can pipe up with Egide Walschaerts.

• Like 2

post-5983-0-59588900-1399389543_thumb.jpg

Here's a better picture of 1502 at work at Didcot.

post-5983-0-18904600-1399389600.jpg

A basic drawing,

post-5983-0-73926200-1399389646.jpg

Hers an early picture showing the rear steps which are parallel to the buffer beam, they were later turned around 90 degrees.

• Like 4

I've just heard from Dave and he's putting a list together of all those who are interested in both the 15xx & BR std 3 tank

So if you haven't already, contact Dave on DSharp@modernoutline.co.uk

The 15xx is another one crying out for a 4mm scale kit, but I sense Dave won't be doing this one either, so it looks like his proposed 4mm work announced back in 2010/11 is probably dead in the water.