Leaf Switch

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-76609000-1399713843_thumb.jpg

According to the result of one search on Google the above type of switch is known as a leaf switch. I can't locate a supplier of them under that name, nor searching under multi-pole or multi-way switches.

Does anyone know if they're still readily available and from where?

Thanks.

Twenty or so years ago, when relay type telephone kit was being replaced by electronics they were fairly easy to intercept on the way to the skip. Nowadays I expect that source has dried up and they will be very hard to find. Best to find alternatives.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I found the switch in a box that's been lying around for ages. This one is On-Off-On (both locking on). It has a mate that is On (Lock) - Off - On (Spring). More to the point, as can be seen, it has numerous sets of changeover contacts.

I've found some 4 pole mini toggle changeover switches but I could do with slimmer switches than those and ones that have more poles.

As Keith has said "Best to find alternatives". My problem is not knowing where to look or what they would be called. Rotary switches aren't really an option, nor are push/pull switches.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

That's the unknown (and please excuse the somewhat long winded response)!

We're building a club layout that uses Conrad point motors. We want to add "route selected" indicator LEDs and may need to route their wiring through numerous switches as the illuminated LEDs may be dependant on the lay of several turnouts. There are only eight points/crossovers so eight 4PDT sub-miniature toggle switches will easily meet the requirements. In fact some of the switches need only be DPDT but I need to assume the use of 4PDT to keep the switch spacing the same throughout. Simples!

Alas, there's a desire by some to add working signals to the layout. However, some of us have a view that signals that don't work look worse than no signals and some are of the view that working signals that aren't obeyed look even worse. Consequently we've reached a compromise. We'll fit a couple of signals initially (although there's no decision which ones yet) and if they are used and obeyed properly we'll add some more (although whether we add the full number - about 15 - is unknown). The signals are only likely to require single pole switches.

It seems logical to place the signal switches in the same bank as the switches for the points. My concern is that aesthetically the switch bank should have all switches equally spaced and providing for a maximum of about 23 x 4PDT switches requires a lot of room on the control panel.

The slim line switch shown in the picture (or similar) seems to address the space problem if they are reasonably readily available. We could use 10 initially but provide space for all we're likely to need allowing us to add others as required. Having the additional poles on the switches may provide scope to incorporate the signal positions (On or Off) into the LED display on the panel.

And so, to answer your question, initially a dozen, allowing for some spares  and possibly as many as 2½ dozen in the longer term (also allowing for some spares). Needless to say, cost will also have a bearing.

They are PO type 1000 lever switches but as far as I know they are no longer available. Around 10 years ago they were available from Canford Audio but were horrendously expensive. I used to have an ice cream tub full of them but I've no idea where they've gone.

As has been stated you're probably best to use alternatives or use relays to do the switching. You could then use a another choice of switch to operate the relays, which would be a cheaper way of providing multiple poles without being tied to a particular type of switch, and then replace the switch if a supply of the key switches became available.

Julian

• 3 weeks later...

That looks like a switch salvaged from an old GPO telephone exchange.

Gordon A

Bristol

It most certainly is a telephone switch. Cropped up most anywhere including, test desks and office "key and lamp, 2+ 10" switches. My experience of trying to use them for model railway situations is not really good. They suffer from dirty contacts or ones which go out of adjustment. I don't use them anymore for those reasons.

Archived