Do you own a Panasonic FZ38 or a Canon SX20?

Poindexter

Hi. I am getting seduced by the idea of owning a "decent" camera but I don't want to (Can't afford to!) go to the expense of a DSLR with the cost of associated add on lenses. I have been looking at the Panasonic FZ38 and the Canon SX20. Both are getting good(ish) reviews. Does anyone on the forum have one of these cameras? and what do they think of it?

Or does anyone have a similar camera they are pleased with? I want to take low light level shots without flash (Exhibitions) and indoor and outdoor action shots and portraits of my two kids that can then be printed out at a decent size.

My present Compact (Casio Exilim) suffers from noise as can be seen in these pics http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/223-darlington-2009-in-the-round-2/page__st__50 Especially when compared with the photos taken by Geoff Griffiths on the same page. Also the Casio wont take indoor action shots without whacking the ISO up which then causes LOADS of noise!!

Cheers

Guy

The Panasonic FZ38 has the advantage of a Leica designed lens, and I tried one out, not owner, and it turned in supurb results. It is less expensive than the SX20, which I have not tried, but reviews well. Both should do well in lower light.

( for reviews the FZ38 is known as FZ35 world wide outside Europe).

Stephen.

I have the FZ38. Great bit of kit. The cheapest place online that I could find was Dixons.co.uk? 

Still getting used to all the features and options, I'#m not dissapointed with anything top notch. I'd say it's more technically advanced than some low end/budget DSLRs at a fraction of the cost.

You won't get anywhere near that kind of noise with the fz38 until your well past ISO800 and then thats only if your viewing the image at its full size. You may find a lot of review sites say that it does suffer from noise. But that really is only ISO800+ viewed fullsize on your computer screen, which to be fair no one really views all their images at those huge sizes.

1 tiny difference between the worldwide version is the software for some reason the software non UK allows you to save and manipulate RAW files in any photo suite that takes RAW images, however the fz38 uk software you only seem to be able to use their bundled photo package to view and manipulte the RAW images the camera produces I believe a update is on the way though.

hth

The Panasonic FZ38 has the advantage of a Leica designed lens, and I tried one out.......

Stephen.

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you buy a different camera in the end or were you just having a look at a few models? I love to go into shops and play with stuff to get a feel for it even if a potential purchase is miles (or never) over the horizon!!!

I have the FZ38..................

hth

That has helped a lot! Cheers Dave just what I wanted a real world review. I must admit this is the camera that I like out of the two but I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money untill I'm sure its the one. What is the Video like in your opinion?

Thanks

Guy

No I can't afford any at that price these days, I was in the camera trade though for years, and was shown one. I must admit to trawling Ebay for jus past sell by date earlier models!, using a Fuji 6900 at the moment.

I would not worry about noise too much, the differences are not much, often the major internal "hardware" is much the same in these cameras despite the various makers, it's the software that makes the differences. Of far greater concern is image stablisation, and lenses, both under the makers control.

Stephen.

Glad to help.

A few more thoughts.

If you have really big hands then you might find holding it with both hands awkward, but operating the buttons and menus wouldn't be as some people have reported as the camera really is compact size.

Currys I think still sell the fz28 at full price ??250+ but its worth a look as its practically identical and I wouldn't advise an upgrade from the 28 to 38 unless you want the latest version, as its only really an extra 2mp and the stereo mic instead of the mono. The FZ28 seems to have been considered the best in its hybrid/bridge class for the last 18 months or so. So its got a great rep.

The full manual comes on disc in pdf as per most these days and is well laid out.

Critisism probably that the auto intelligence mode doesn't cope with the yellow hue of crappy energy saving light bulbs indoors, but thats easily sorted in an editing package or adjust the white balance and other settings yourself. Not difficult.

The OIS image stabilisation is great at normal viewing the full zoom needs a steady hand and I'm no surgeon and have had good results.

Have you thought about the TZ7? I've the TZ5, and the results both for stills and video are very good (and it easily fits in a pocket) - I understand the video is even better on the 7, plus there's a new TZ10 (not considered a major improvement apparently) so you might get one cheap. The image stabilisation on all Panasonics is excellent, so you can often get away with using a low ISO to avoid noise problems.

There's also a new model (HX5 or something) from Sony that sounds very promising.

• RMweb Premium

I've been considering a TZ6 for a while ( I don't need HD video), as you say the 6 & 7 are being superseded, so will probably drop in price for a while at least. The only downside for me is the lack of manual control, I can probably live without manual exposure modes, but lack of manual focus is a bit of a bummer for layout photography. 25mm equivalent at the wide end is big plus from my point of view.

Most of my stuff is taken with a Panasonic FZ20, I suppose that's the FZ38's great grandad or thereabouts, good for wildlife stuff (OK not exactly dSLR + L glass quality but it's good enough for me), OK ish for layout photography, viz:-

post-107-12648856984776_thumb.jpg

post-107-12648857144845_thumb.jpg

as its only really an extra 2mp

just a note to anyone considering a new compact - don't get too sucked in by needing an extra 2mp.

The physical overall size of the chip actually negates this theoretical increase - you effectively have softer, more washed out & noisier images (softer cause the camera tries to hide the noise).

Cramming lots of pixels on a small dimensioned chip means increased potential of softer images, not sharper.

for example the Panasonic LX3 (not a camera I think the OP will want though!) has a larger chip than most compacts (well it's changing now with new canons etc) but only 10mp... and it's capable of shooting comfortably above iso 800 with minimal noise.

Whereas you'll find cameras that are cheaper, but with higher MP counts, particularly those over 12mp, who are pretty woeful above ISO 400 - that's why the G11 has less pixels than the 10 - Canon realised this was what people were starting to find out.

ANYWAY

to the topic starter - panasonic every time at the moment mate, unless your wallet's bigger (Panasonic GH1/GF1/Lx3/ Canon s90/G11 fall outside the budget esp the Gh1!)

- indeed the TZ series is defo worth looking at over the FZ in many respects, but you know what you want so I'm sure the FZ would fit the bill. I'd take that over the Casio anytime, because Panasonic have a very solid rep right now. Not for nothing are the TZs so highly regarded.

just a note to anyone considering a new compact - don't get too sucked in by needing an extra 2mp.

The physical overall size of the chip actually negates this theoretical increase - you effectively have softer, more washed out & noisier images (softer cause the camera tries to hide the noise).

Cramming lots of pixels on a small dimensioned chip means increased potential of softer images, not sharper.

That was the reason for me advising not to bother with the upgrade from the FZ28 to the 38, as its really only the sensor size that makes much difference in these things I've found.

I've had an FZ18 since they first came out, and, more recently, a TZ6 for "slip in the pocket" trips.

For me, even though it's now way out of date, the FZ18 is phenomenal -- I mostly photograph architecture, and for the detail stuff the zoom and image stabilisation is great.

The TZ6 has less optical zoom (12x against 18x), but for most of the time it is more than capable of what I want. Plus both cameras benefit from top-notch Leica lenses. Where else can you get Leica for these prices?

I'm a very happy customer!

Paul

Hmmm. I think I am going to have to take a look at the TZ 6 or 7 and see what they have to offer. Heart still set on the FZ38 though. By the time the credit card is down to a decent enough level to make a purchase I should of made my mind up!!

Hmmm. I think I am going to have to take a look at the TZ 6 or 7 and see what they have to offer. Heart still set on the FZ38 though. By the time the credit card is down to a decent enough level to make a purchase I should of made my mind up!!

You could always try Amazon they allow you try it and send it back no bother if your not happy with it. I know quite a few people who have done this especially with cameras, you keep trying until you get what your looking for. Someone made a really good thread on the old rmweb about getting the best from your compact, some of it has been discussed on this version I think but not to the same depth worth a read in a couple of weeks when hopefully the old archive is re established on the new server.

Yep,I'll have one of them to duct tape on the front of my cameraphone!

"When used in available light photography, the lens exceeds the perception of the human eye."

what?...

well yes... given that it's a manual focus lens, I do rather wonder how it would be possible to focus it when the eye's perception has been exceeded...!

ps sorry for dragging this off topic - but this is what a Leica lens is really about - manual focus, and all the quality put into the glass & hand-built construction. Their compact camera lenses are indeed a cut above other compact lenses, but clearly all things are relative!

Strickly speaking its not a Leica lens. Leica gave Panasonic permission to make their own lenses from the Leica design patterns and allowed Panasonic to use their brandname too. So while its a Leica design it was Panasonic who've made the lens, but its still a pretty darn good lens for a compact.

Edit sorry just to add I'm back to the FZ38 the above lens is obviously a Leica.

• 7 months later...

I've just found this thread having decided to look at the FZ38 myself. I was just wondering what this was like for taking close-ups of models - can anybody who has one post a few pics?

thanks

Stu

Hello,

I've been following this thread with interest and find the FZ38 hard to ignore (me being a life-long Fuji adherent). I think the contributions confirm what we all know: go for the lens quality first, and then worry about the bells and whistles.

Unfortunately, modern cameras seem to be almost too clever, with most owners not knowing about, let alone exploiting, many of the so-called features. Surely we need an excellent lens, full manual control, semi-auto. (aperture/speed priority) for sustained sessions and full 'point-and-shoot' auto. for the 'cor, look at that' moments.

So the FZ38 fits the bill. Now let's find a good price with decent customer service: Best value?

Regards,

BR(W)

I purchased many years ago the Panasonic FZ10, which I was very pleased with and only recently I replaced this with the FZ38. The main reason for the upgarde was the movie facility and better screen.

I cannot fault the camera and there are some examples of photos I've taken of my layout on the GEAG forum.

Regards

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my sx20 in may as a compliment for when i didnt want to take my 20D and lenses out and about (and for HD video recording at concerts).

The results are great - but it has taken me long enough to get the hang of it - it does seem quite an aquard camera to get the best out of and off and the working window (i tend to take a lot of pics of my build late in the evening) in terms of apature/ISO/exposure is very small. THere is no way i can take hand held macro type photos under room light after dark without noise becoming too much of a problem.

Of course, the manual modes and low light performance are never going to be anything on the SLR - its always going to be limitting in that respect but i was surprised at how limiting having not bought a compact for 5 or 6 years (my last was an olympus C750UZ, good cam in its day) and to be honnest, other than interface, ISO speeds, reaction time, start up/shut down time and focus speed the actual exposure control and window for getting the exposure you want is not much improved, but i suppose you have to work with what light you have so it was never going to be an amazing improvement although i thought there would be more in 6 years. The only thing i havent been happy with is the flash, i just cant control it effectivly, so much so that i use my external speedlite - the results mind you are very good as the speedlite is a beast and i can either bounce the light off the wall or use my diffuser.

I purchased many years ago the Panasonic FZ10, which I was very pleased with and only recently I replaced this with the FZ38. The main reason for the upgarde was the movie facility and better screen.

I cannot fault the camera and there are some examples of photos I've taken of my layout on the GEAG forum.

Regards

Paul

What's the shutter delay like on the FZ38? I would like to take pictures of moving objects e.g. trains and my current camera has unacceptable delay for such things.

Thanks

Stu

Archived