Brass Gear Suppliers

Hi RM web, it has been a while since I posted on here but I have a gearbox to build for another engineering project that uses a series of small gears. These are currently nylon and I am stripping the teeth off the test sets.

I need a good wide range of gears to choose from to complete my project and need to know how they are specified i.e. number of teeth, diameter etc?

I would also like the contact details of some cottage industry gear manufacturers, as it have need of a small batch of bespoke gears making as well.

I thought of RM web as there are some superb loco builders on here, as well as some great small scale suppliers.

I'm not sure if a cottage industry would have the machinery to produce a wide range of gears easily.  A couple of commercial sources in the UK are HPC

http://www.hpcgears.com/

and Muffett

http://www.muffettgears.co.uk/

There are two ways of measuring gears.  The first one is the Imperial system of Diametric Pitch  where the DP is the ratio of the number of teeth to the pitch centre diameter of the gear - i.e. a 32DP gear with a PCD of 1" will have 32 teeth,  with a DP of 64 and a PCD of 1.5" will have 96 teeth, etc., etc.  The second method is the metric MOD system where the MOD value for a gear gives the ratio of PCD to tooth count.  A 1 MOD gear of 25 teeth will have a PCD of 25mm,  an 0.5MOD gear with 40 teeth will have a PCD of 20mm,  a 0.2MOD with a tooth count of 90 will have a PCD of 18mm, etc., etc.

Jim.

Thank you gentlemen, I will be investigating those suppliers ASAP. The beefy gears are for an AEG gearbox in a foam dart blaster, as the spring load is now 8kg instead of 2.5kg they get eaten from time to time. Power unit is usually a hot RC helicopter motor running off a 3s Lipo battery!

The small gears are for a rotary feed mechanism in another blaster, the gearbox is being rotated at higher speeds than it's gears were designed for, and thus the smaller teeth strip. I suggested the builder use the same size gear with coarser teeth. Would this help reduce strain on the gears as each tooth would be stronger, or would it simply focus the load on fewer teeth?

Imagine running your favorite loco at totally un scale trainset speed pulling a house brick! At least all the parts for this are huge compared to my usual 2mm stuff.

Archived