The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Advice on new TV please

edcayton

Sony may make their top and mid-range TV's in Japan, but their ultra-budget cheapo sets (sold in the likes of Tesco or Argos) are made for them by the Ying Tong Diddle Hi Ho company in China or the Wok Da Fook Company in Vietnam.

Are you real?   :whistle:

Check that you get on with the supplied remote contro when you visit a retailer. Our LG TV is great but the remote control has so many buttons that are small and all the same colour that we now have to remember which button does what when viewing the TV at night with only wall lights for room lighting.

That's a good point.

My Daughter has an LG 20" TV in her bedroom. The remote is cheap looking and is cluttered with buttons. The volume and channel buttons aren't big enough either and blend in with buttons that are hardly ever used.

In contrast, my son's Sony 22" has a good quality remote, similar to those used on their more expensive big TV's and much better in design, actual usage and looks.

It's like comparing chalk and cheese.

I do not know if this is the same with Virgin but with Talk Talk you can use the box remote in place of the TV remote.

Been satisfied with LG both as a customer of their products for many years and while doing a lot of work for them when they first came to the UK.

Bernard

Make sure its not a corded remote control like in the 70's, the dog spent ages tripping over it.  I found a 6' length of 2" x 1" handy as from my sofa I could change channels real easy with it.  Also test whether rattling your backdoor keys nearby the sensor changes channels.

Also have a look at the back of the tv to see if it is solid enough to take a good wham with the fist to stop the picture rolling!

oopsI have regressed.  Hat, coat!

• RMweb Gold

That's a good point.

My Daughter has an LG 20" TV in her bedroom. The remote is cheap looking and is cluttered with buttons. The volume and channel buttons aren't big enough either and blend in with buttons that are hardly ever used.

In contrast, my son's Sony 22" has a good quality remote, similar to those used on their more expensive big TV's and much better in design, actual usage and looks.

It's like comparing chalk and cheese.

Just depends on the model, some LG TV's have well designed remotes. When I bought ours I was aware of the remote control issues after reading reviews. However I ignored it on the basis that I dont mind loads of buttons but it is a bit of a pain and the next TV we will take more notice of the remote control design.

Ian

I had already decided that I don't want 3D, but haven't heard of 4K-what is it?

4K is the next step up from HD and is also known as Ultra High Definition (UHD).

An HD TV has a resolution of 1920*1080, 4K has a resolution of around 3840*2160 or thereabouts as there appears to be no fixed standard as to exactly what 4K means at the minute.  There is very, very little material commercially available in this format and certainly not from any of the broadcasters in the UK although both Sky and Netflix are going to be trialling it in the near future.

As a relatively new technology, it is a lot more expensive than HD and, at the moment at least, 4K TVs tend to be much larger than you are looking for, typically 55" and above.

I'd suggest that it is really not worth worrying about at this point...

John

Archived