Nile's kitbuilding bench - Midland 1377

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Nile said:

Putting the bits done so far together gives this, an almost complete model:

After a good clean it will be ready for painting.

looking nice and shiny. What you want now is a rake of Ratio Bain suburbans to go with it!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• Nile changed the title to Nile's kitbuilding bench - more Midland modelling
  • RMweb Premium

Next is another kit from Dave, for a Midland 1377 0-6-0T ( see here for Dave's original build ).

Starting with the chassis, I decided to make use of the High Level hornblocks I've had for ages to give it some more compensation.

M_001.JPG.53840330c7bc67ff0df558649cc4dd0b.JPG

I had an issue with the middle spacer, having to move it forward by 2mm in order to make room for the HL gearbox with drive stretcher.

M_002.JPG.266d9dc741bee206a5da22ad8135c474.JPG

I'm wondering if this is because my gearbox is a few years old. I can see from the current instructions online that the design has changed a bit.

Edited by Nile
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Nile said:

I had an issue with the middle spacer, having to move it forward by 2mm in order to make room for the HL gearbox with drive stretcher.

I'm wondering if this is because my gearbox is a few years old. I can see from the current instructions online that the design has changed a bit.

Hi  Neil,

Is it possible it's a D1 drivetretcher you've used which have centres of 16.6mm rather than 14.6mm for the D2 drivestretcher?

• RMweb Premium

Yes that's it. I thought it was the width that varied, not their length. Studying the instructions I can see why they vary in length. I'm using the RoadRunner + D1 combination as I have a few in stock.

• RMweb Premium

More work on the body, more specifically the boiler. I found a small gap at the back of the smokebox just above the splasher.

M_007.JPG.58c5fde59fc7c1c2ba0e736a239ed90f.JPG

I soldered a small piece from the etch on the inside to act as a support, then made up a wedge shaped piece to go in the gap.

M_008.JPG.ac95f5c482bbf6477b2f8fe2080e3363.JPG

At the front I had difficulty forming the cylinder cover to the shape I wanted. In my box of scrap bits I found a piece of 0.15mm N/S big enough to use, I had more success with this.

M_009.JPG.8127d0f91fe05954d96aadf5abc07f7b.JPG

Overall progress so far, not much more to do.

M_010.JPG.2fe0d4245bb3aa6a50e9fbd9f7b24353.JPG

Not much progress on the chassis. I've made up the brake shoe/hanger units with the help of a little jig. Only the middle joint is soldered at this stage.

M_011.JPG.25ad1c112bdc632f69ee6965f5ffc90a.JPG

Edited by Nile
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/08/2015 at 15:53, Nile said:

Now to apply the handbrake. I'm not going to do anything with the brake shoes themselves as that could get messy, and you can't really see them from the other side anyway. What I have done is move the brake lever down to the on position with a bit of cutting and re-gluing.

W17.JPG.10287c3b1cfd1281a63ec36b4fe61f8b.JPG

From the other side you can just about see the handle in its lower position.W18.JPG.3aab71e21850cccad0980311398ec292.JPG

Here it is sitting in the siding at Wyndal.W19.JPG.44b414519592fab086cbc285441548d9.JPG

I will eventually add more to this scene, but that will be for my Wyndal topic.

Just found this thread Nile, reading through from the start and had to say, this wagon with the open door and the brake on looks superb! I'm going to have to try that myself 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chas, as it happens I've recently done something similar with some old Airfix kits.

001.JPG.f1af62f9f5630639dacc72b1fb03655c.JPG

Now you've disturbed my slumber I suppose I should post some sort of update. Not that much has been happening here for a while, too many other distractions. But I can report some progress with the Flatiron, I was able to get it sprayed Crimson red last year.

F_046.JPG.db73ed0d10c71d4d659c3109ed00f7e9.JPG

I shall try to progress this further as time allows.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about the splashers. In some photos they look lined, but I cant tell if it's actual lining or polished metal that is showing. They aren't lined in the official works (grey) photo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nile said:

Not sure about the splashers. In some photos they look lined, but I cant tell if it's actual lining or polished metal that is showing. They aren't lined in the official works (grey) photo.

As far as I can make out, the splashers were pressings, or something like that (not sure what technology was available at Derby at the time) with rounded corners. So I think what one sees in many photos is a highlight reflection off the rounded edge. There was certainly no beading to polish; anyway that wasn't a feature of the post-1905 livery - beading was painted over. 

But there are a few photos that make me less convinced than I would like to be that the splashers weren't lined...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

But there are a few photos that make me less convinced than I would like to be that the splashers weren't lined...

I had a little struggle with this. In case anyone else did:

• That the splashers were not lined
  • My conviction thereof reduced (to an unpalatable degree)
  • By the photos, few in number

It actually makes perfect sense if you take a deep breath and read through steadily without pauses. But that's a risky business for an asthmatic like me.

You're welcome!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

I had a little struggle with this.

Sorry, was the struggle with the lining of your Flatiron or with my convoluted grammar?

If the latter, then my apologies, but I wished to communicate not only my doubt about the state of external reality but also my own internal self-doubt.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting that you are modelling No. 2004 as allocated to the LT&S section between 29 Dec 1913 and Feb 1919, when equipped with the Westinghouse brake for working on the LT&S section. (Dates are from Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 4.) Summerson also quotes a 1918 Railway Magazine article as saying that on the LT&S section, the 0-6-4Ts' main work was on goods traffic.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello again, today's episode is about couplings. As I would like this loco to be able to do some work without too much faffing about with couplings I worked out a way to fit NEM362 sockets to it.

The rear end was the most difficult, after much experimenting I ended up using parts from an Oxford wagon. These were glued and pinned (with the aid of heat) to a piece of white plastic, which was glued with epoxy to the bogie. This was later painted black.

F_063.JPG.f9b96c6a6fd478e717e5b257f048f05e.JPG

F_064.JPG.2b1082f880f0fb38d81ef4080a3b2681.JPG

The front end was easier, using one of the many coupling mounts I seem to have lying around. A small block of wood was glued into the chassis with epoxy.

View from above:

F_065.JPG.5f0f5ac844a030f0b2a017a2addbc6e3.JPG

View from below:

F_066.JPG.bf237dd8d78c50a5b881db14114d453f.JPG

The coupling mount is screwed into this:

F_067.JPG.430738ce26f5af256c24ab7d1c7bbea9.JPG

The view from the front. With the coupling removed the socket is barely visible.

F_068.JPG.aba70ab11e79f97f606c42943a7e2695.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1