HO Monon inspired layout

Fitted the long shank to all the troublesome 34 ft open hopper cars and 9 times out of ten can run a full set without derailing so looks like the weighting and change of couplers have helped. However the ends of the hopper angling down over the bogie fixing point means can only get a little weight there so still very jumpy especially if being propelled. Might also be planning a layout with two curved points and a baseboard joint at the throat of the fiddleyard might be something to consider avoiding in any subsequent builds.

• 3 weeks later...

Pleasant running sessions and when designed used 40 ft box cars as nominal length for Spurs head shunts etc. Inclusion of 50 ft cars has lead to some interesting problem solving tasks in order to complete a switching sequence. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good morni g Steve from a very sunny Charente.  I was sorry to miss you at Wakefield.  However I did take a coup.e of photos for you on my travels. I was standing on the foot ridge in Green River Wyoming last month and a long freight was coming into town.  In the formation were two gondols that I thought were empty. The photo show otherwise. I thought they might provide some i spiration for you.

P5180679.JPG.09160faeffc1d747872317ec5d608ad1.JPG

It looks like bundles of steel bar possibly galvanised as they haven't rusted and would have come through snow and rain on their eastward pergrination.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As the train was going under the bridge I saw the gondola's and thought that the load detail would be ideal for you.

Here's a pic of the train which when I looked at it has the Gondalas in the background and shows the other side of the one with the load of bars.

P5180677.JPG.c0bbf1ffe70f697f369f1172725d0f5d.JPG

Let me know if you want  hi res versions of these and I'll email them.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed up the RS2 that was decayed for ownership by the L and N and back dated back to Monon ownership. Number 26 is nearly ready to go into service on Vimes Street and has been allocated Stone traffic whenever the sequel to Vimes Street gets built - see Roundy Roundy 

E8E6DF94-BA97-4DD4-994D-387D3B8EB255.jpeg

• Like 4

Dirty black wash with frame dirt  and general used appearance is about there.

in some photos end hand rails and edges of steps are painted yellow but not sure of dates when changed from non yellow to yellow. Any ideas? 

Very warm today so north facing garage very cool and although strange to be doing so on such a nice day did run some trains 

856894DE-2921-41E9-9511-FC9A55E5E5FA.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Health issues resulting in a couple of stays in hospital has slowed down work on the layout but with brothers son coming for a visit and to operate the layout spent some time giving it a shake down this afternoon. Will be interesting to see what brother and my nephew Sam think of it. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

New baseboards for roundy roundy now installed in the garage so it marks the end of Vimes Street. Many thanks to all who have looked in, commented upon the layout as it developed. I learnt a lot from building it and am looking forward to developing layout 2. Look out for buildings and features appearing in version 2 as well as new buildings donated by the kindness of fellow Modellers. 

So goodbye Vimes Street and onto version 2 the sequel, let’s hope it proves not to be the equivalent of that difficult second album!

39D3D88B-6090-45E8-BD60-A617AFB08906.jpeg

• Like 2