HO Monon inspired layout

12 hours ago, Boxcab said:

The magnets on Menasha actually slid sideways under the track, the space for them was routed out before the track was laid. 

This idea was used so as to avoid the chance of false uncoupling when moving slowly, and it worked brilliantly.

Did you use the Kadee one? On Menasha before I joined the crew made the magnet hinge so in place when needed and otherwise hung down out of the way

Forgot that - good way of ensuring flat surface.

early morning running session and went through all the expanded sequence using the dice and lasted 60 mins. Bug bear to running is going to be the pointwork on the Elm Street board as going to be hard to clean due to the link piece between the two parts of the plastic factory and that the curve is a little sharper than it should be.

hey ho resist all thoughts when laying track to reduce the radius as it will come back and bite you!

Crane train did make a successful trip out including reversing into the MOW spur 

0F5AF170-5466-47B7-A715-7D52EEB6FD8A.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Boxcab said:

The magnets on Menasha actually slid sideways under the track, the space for them was routed out before the track was laid. 

This idea was used so as to avoid the chance of false uncoupling when moving slowly, and it worked brilliantly.

I’d been looking at that for my Nm and sliding them from one track to another in the loops. I was thinking of cutting the hole and covering it with very thin plasticard and another thick plastic plate on the bottom that can be removed if they ever stick. 

• Agree 1

boxes work and although slows down the make up of the trains does not matter too much. Does show I need to make up some holding boxes for the cards for the main spots which of course I should have thought about before, 

bad order box already full of cars that need attention. Weight still seems to the issue as does the coupling moving freely within the coupling box.

Pleasant 90 min session spent running through a full sequence and very few naughty words uttered! The dice do throw up some interesting problems to solve, if already 4 in the grocery and Vulcan works and dice show to replace with 4 headshunt using the team track not long enough so have to store the outgoing cars on another track before switching in the incoming cars. Makes for more movements and if use no cars or engines can foul Vimes Street Crossing then more thought needed once more.

Put in a bid for the baseboards that might be available from the club. Will know by the end of April.

York Show and a visit to Contikits produced a 3 pack of 40 ft reefers which looked lone

y on their shelf so purchased along with a 52ft 6 in gondola. It appears I should try the longer shank No 5 Kadee in the 34 ft open hoppers as that might be the solution to drag off on the plastic factory curve 

79A23DF9-CF10-44C9-B4FE-4CB53E56AA56.jpeg

Reassessment for volunteering on NYMR successfully completed yesterday along with 19,000 steps logged whilst checking tickets and carrying out duties so quiet hour this morning fitting number 5 Kadee couplings, fettling and weathering the three reefers. All built in 1929 so aiming to reproduce worn as if pressed into service at peak times only 

C3568D07-6656-4C57-AFE9-9ECEDDABE295.jpeg

Rummaging in cupboards and found this flat car. Appears a number of lines did home made adaptations to create pipe and wire carriers so evergreen strip added and a few wooden strips on floor whist lemon drizzle cake baking in the oven 

A229AD35-8B07-4E11-91AB-14D1E6EF6B71.jpeg

• Agree 2

Rainy day so spending a couple of hours fettling the poor runners. The open hopper cars have been weighted to correct weight but still are poor runners. Was suggested couplers might be too close so swapped out number 5s for long shank 146s to see if it improves the running especially on curves 

B869A76B-78D0-470A-90F1-C8971B0D97FB.jpeg

One aspect of using the simple card system to make up the trains is that all stock does eventually get round to be run and with it showing up that some cars never have been weathered! Rain still falling so will start the weathering process on this covered hopper to approximate 10 years of being in service. 

Prototype image from rrachive 

A3EC3DB4-9F55-4073-A845-E160828094B5.jpeg

5F2D49A3-2F69-4C2C-9313-F326219622B5.jpeg

• Like 2