advice on lighting wires please

55F

I am just about to install some lighting on the layout, starting with lighting around the engine shed.

I am fairly happy with my proposed circuitry, however the lamps which I have purchased have exceedingly flimsy wires [understandably], and I am in the process of deciding how best to join such flimsy wires into the circuit, indeed one of the wires doesn't even have any insulation.  I'm sure somebody on here has devised a sound way of dealing with this matter, care to share your ideas please?

[i have searched the Forum, but been unable to find an answer to my exact problem]

Thank you

One piece of advice I would give is to screw a little choc block underneath where a light might be.

Put the flimsy wires from the light into one side of this choc block.

Then when you are joining this light to the main circuit you won't be pulling & dragging on the flimsy wires.

You may find the wires too fine to hold in even the smallest choc-block so I would solder a thicker wire to the fine wire(s) first.  Tony's suggestion is a good one provided that you screw the choc-block down securely.  Incidentally, I think you will find that both wires are insulated - the one that looks as if it isn't, is probably coated in insulating lacquer that will dissolve in the heat of a soldering iron..

Harold

My technique, cue shock horror from the usual suspects drill two small holes in a piece of wood, push the end of the flimsy wires into the hole and ram a piece of thicker wire into the hole to clamp the thin wire and then connect the thick wire to your favourite power supply.  I use 3 volts so it works, Other people use 20 volts and wonder why they have problems, c'est la vie.

Archived