The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Good North American Beer Guide

trisonic

Found Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on draught at TGI Fridays, Rapid City, SD. Quite a pleasant wheat beer in a restaurant in Omaha and rather liked the 3 ales I tried at the Big Texan in Amarillo, but why do they chill it to death.

My son spent his 4 undergraduate years in Chico (home to Sierra Nevada which is much better in their tap room than anywhere outside Chico).  But there were a half dozen micro brewers in the late 90's already in Chico competing in the 50 ways to loose your liver contest. It was either that or Arcata and Humboldt State and Humboldt lightening grown in the back woods..

I just saw on a TV show they are now marketing the ultimate California Colorado beverage...Pot infused wine.Will Coors be selling a THC laced brew soon. I could see the resurgence of Rainier Beer with a little local additive in Washington State. Gives a whole new dimension to "craft" brewing.

• RMweb Premium

Next you'll be telling us that Natty Light* and Busch Light are the perfect beers for the end of a day white water rafting on the Rogue.

* aka Natural Light, an AB InBev product next to which Budweiser is ambrosia. 

Actually the list of top ten case sales by brand in 2013 is:

1. Bud Light

2. Coors Light

3. Budweiser

4. Miller Lite

5. Natural Light

6. Busch Light

7. Michelob Ultra Light

8. Busch

9. Keystone Light

10. Miller High Life

I have to confess to having consumed a significant amount of Miller Genuine Draft before micro and craft beer found me.

You need to be totally sober to go white water rafting down there, trust me!

I switch to lite beers in the summer due to increased thirst, it's more about quantity than quality when you're out in the sun  :heat:

Regular Busch isn't too bad. My last neighbor would drink it all day and anything would get done for a 6pak of it! 

It's a long way from chewy malty brunes and trippels to Nikasi's Total Domination or Jubelale!

Next you'll be telling me that Lagunitas Hop Stoopid (102 IBU) is mellow.

I'd take a Kwak, Duval, Westmalle Triple or Leffe etc. over anything if it's stocked! :drinks:   Yes it is a long way, and I dread to think how some of my Flemish mates would react to Total Domination or Busch, even worst Pabst..    Yuk..........,,,,,,  :bad:

I agree about Sierra Nevada. We ex-pat Brits were very pleased to find it being served on draught in the hotel bar at a soccer tournament in Stockton.

A bit OT, but can I congratulate you on being able to cycle in Ouray? We found walking anywhere there that involved a hill a noticeable effort. Did you visit the small railroad museum at Ridgway, just north of Ouray? A real gem, with an emphasis on the Rio Grande Southern.

The biking was of the motorised variety; I had a 1994 Ducati Monster, my friends a similarly aged Ducati Paso 907ie and the touring version of the Aprilia Mille. I intended to take in the Durango and Silverton but we couldn't get beyond Ouray because the 'million dollar highway' over to Arizona was only open for one hour a day due to 'rockfall mitigation' work in the high pass. We went south via Telluride at around 10,000ft, but there was only a little snow at the side of the road and a frozen lake or two. I had packed bike gear suitable for the Nevada desert and blizzards in the Rockies, leaving no room for normal clothes in my bag, but in the end it was pretty mild in the mountains. My train action was limited to riding alongside some typical monster freights; five UP diesels hauling 125 double-deck 45ft container wagons. I calculated it was nearly 2km long. No doubt the more knowledgable can give a precise figure!

The biking was of the motorised variety; I had a 1994 Ducati Monster, my friends a similarly aged Ducati Paso 907ie and the touring version of the Aprilia Mille. I intended to take in the Durango and Silverton but we couldn't get beyond Ouray because the 'million dollar highway' over to Arizona was only open for one hour a day due to 'rockfall mitigation' work in the high pass. We went south via Telluride at around 10,000ft, but there was only a little snow at the side of the road and a frozen lake or two. I had packed bike gear suitable for the Nevada desert and blizzards in the Rockies, leaving no room for normal clothes in my bag, but in the end it was pretty mild in the mountains. My train action was limited to riding alongside some typical monster freights; five UP diesels hauling 125 double-deck 45ft container wagons. I calculated it was nearly 2km long. No doubt the more knowledgable can give a precise figure!

Between 2 and 2.5km long depending on the type of cars.

Adrian.

Vancouver, as a city, seemed to have been besotted with very hard drugs in the last few years  - maybe it’s back to normal now? My cousin’s first visit to the city a couple of years ago (via ship) was rather “spoiled” by a very long “tannoy" announcement warning of areas to avoid in the town, he said it made it seem like Limehouse in the 19th century (opium dens etc.) Or maybe it was just a ruse to prevent more people from moving there?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:
Sasquatch might just venture on up to Ashland to catch England Vs. Italy on Saturday as the Black sheep will be showing all games. Check out their menu of beers here it's the best I've seen in the Rogue Valley, not to mention the Sunday roast!  

Edit: They even got crumpets!!    YUM

Perhaps I shouldn't be so pedantic, but you pick up a few snippets of info when you come from a family that had been involved in the pub trade in central & north Essex, and two of them had the barrels at the back of the bar. Two/three days is right, time to let it settle - Abbot is still one of the best.

Some of them still do. Saddleworth went to Thaxted for the dancing again last weekend, and in the pub in (I think) Bartlow, there were barrels on stillages at the back of the bar, looking like Hobbit-holes. The beer was chuffin' expensive to us northerners, though, except at The Cock in Castle Camps, where there was on for £2.50 a pint.

:offtopic:

Sasquatch might just venture on up to Ashland to catch England Vs. Italy on Saturday as the Black sheep will be showing all games. Check out their menu of beers here it's the best I've seen in the Rogue Valley, not to mention the Sunday roast!  

Edit: They even got crumpets!!    YUM

I've been to the Black Sheep.  Not a bad pub.Good local brews. {That's Ashland Oregon)

• RMweb Premium

Doubt very much I'll be having any of that either!

There's a new theme pub in Ashland too now, which I don't remember the name of where the staff are all decked out as 16th century serving wenches and try to put on thick English accents.

Sasquatch immediately got into the spirit of things and shouted for "a flagon of your finest ale serf". I was promptly handed a small glass of Black Butte Porter!  Ended up playing 'Cards against Humanity' with about 30 others, quite a fun evening in the end.   

Shaun

• RMweb Gold

Doubt very much I'll be having any of that either!

There's a new theme pub in Ashland too now, which I don't remember the name of where the staff are all decked out as 16th century serving wenches and try to put on thick English accents.

Sasquatch immediately got into the spirit of things and shouted for "a flagon of your finest ale serf". I was promptly handed a small glass of Black Butte Porter!  Ended up playing 'Cards against Humanity' with about 30 others, quite a fun evening in the end.   

Shaun

You could do a lot worse than drinking Black Butte Porter - had some in the Descheutes pub in Portland last week. Miss the place already!!

My only contribution would be to add that Morrisons has Stevens Point Brewery "Point IPA" Pale Ale Bottle 355ml on offer, 2 for £3. Infinitely better than the chemicals they're flogging for some kickball tournament...

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Triumph Brewery, New Hope, PA, today:

post-9016-0-00966800-1404608345_thumb.jpg

IPA on left. Panini with fries on right.

Turn around in my chair and the view is this:

post-9016-0-71184700-1404608584_thumb.jpg

and this 2 minutes later

post-9016-0-29835100-1404608762_thumb.jpg

Both beer and sandwich were good - beer a little cold, though as usual.....but tasty after leaving for a couple of minutes in 80f heat.

Pictures of odd ex CN diesel will follow in different posting later in USA and Canadian Railroads....

quality affected by forgetting both my camera’s and relying on Iphone - not too bad though...

Best, Pete

Went to Triumph Brewery, New Hope, PA, today:

IPA on left. Panini with fries on right.

Sounds like a nice way to enjoy the long weekend Pete.

I won't mention why we have a long weekend. I'll pretend that it's a July Bank Holiday or some such thing. :)

Michael,

Yes, it was pleasant. That brewery is ideal (in location) for Mr. Ian “roundhouse”!!!

Afterwards went to Ringoes in NJ to take a peek at the Black River and Western but a bit late, only took a couple of photos I’ll put them up in the usual section alongside the unusual Ex-CN #5315 GF- 30S (a bit of a misnomer, really).

Best, Pete.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread

Here in Colorado we've got

New Belgium Fort Collins

Odells Fort Collins

Coopersmiths Fort Collins

Fort Collins Brewery

Some cider place whose name escapes me Fort Collins

No prizes for guessing where I live

There's also

Left hand in Longmont

Boulder brewery

Breckinridge brewery

Grimm brothers in Loveland

Oskar blues in Lyons

There are many more I think that Colorado is second only to Washington state for the most microbreweries.

John P

• RMweb Gold

Just saw this threadHere in Colorado we've gotNew Belgium Fort CollinsOdells Fort CollinsCoopersmiths Fort CollinsFort Collins BrewerySome cider place whose name escapes me Fort CollinsNo prizes for guessing where I liveThere's alsoLeft hand in LongmontBoulder breweryBreckinridge breweryGrimm brothers in LovelandOskar blues in LyonsThere are many more I think that Colorado is second only to Washington state for the most microbreweries.John P

Stop winding me up with all those great beers.

Oh well at least we only have to wait til the new year to go back to Denver to try some of those. Even Utah has some good beers now despite that if are over 5% they have to be bottled

• RMweb Gold

We are currently drinking this Missouri craft brew but I am drinking it in Farringdon in London UK!!

Superb milk Stout though.

However there are two city workers with shots wanting their photo taken in here but it's just not right in here with all this good beer.

post-1557-0-13100000-1407784700_thumb.jpg

You must be in Craft Beer Company - probably my favourite establishment in London for US beers - last week I managed bottles of High Water "Hop Logic" Imperial IPA and Green Flash "Green Bullet" Triple IPA - as you may have guessed , I like hops....

There are many more I think that Colorado is second only to Washington state for the most microbreweries.

I'm not sure that's quite accurate, but Colorado is way up on the list and home to many fabulous beers.

By total breweries (this includes craft and mega breweries) but micros account for a big portion. (Data is extrapolated so should be construed as an estimate.)

1. California ...... 510

2. Washington .. 251

3. Colorado ...... 217

4. Oregon ........ 208

5. Michigan ...... 188 

By breweries per 100,000

1. Vermont ........ 6.38

2. Oregon ......... 5.29

3. Montana ....... 4.63

4. Maine ........... 4.37

5. Wyoming ...... 4.29

6. Colorado ...... 4.12

7. Washington .. 3.60

Source is here (cross-referenced using wikipedia population estimates for 2013).

Has someone in Colorado sold a marijuana infused IPA yet? (It seems like it's only a matter of time.)

Just in case anyone is worried about me, recreational marijuana is legal in Colorado and no, I don't partake.

• 10 months later...

We have a pub like place in the nearby township of Danville named "Pete's Brass Rail and Car wash" with the motto "There is no brass rail or car wash and who the hell is Pete". Anyway, they feature an ever changing (at least twice a week) list of 20 or so micro brews. And their Connoisseurs Club puts your name on the wall of fame/shame after 100 different micro brews. There is no time limit on how long you take. The colors change of your name are changed with each increment of 100 different brews. I was there one night when someone hit the record of 2000 different brews over about 5 years. Good grub too. Usual disclaimer applies.  There is a sign up list when the highly rationed Pliny the Younger (Russian River Brewing) make it's all to brief appearance each year.

And this in the heart of whine country....

Archived