Different voltage, same plug?

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks, me again....

I'm looking at wiring between boards.

I'm using 12VDC anologue, for track, but I'm using 15VAC for the H&M point motors.

Here's the question...

Assuming that such things as sleeving, etc, is spot-on, is there any barrier to me having both AC & DC in the same plug?

Any information, etc, will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies.

No, there are no larger voltages involved. Just 12VDC & 15VAC. I'm using 2 seperate PSU's. I had considered using different D9 plugs for the different voltages, but I could get both circuits into the same plug.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Just as long as you don't mix 12 volt and 240 volt in the same plug.

As always, 240 volts should NEVER be connected to any miniature plug/socket arrangement, but only proper plugs/socket designed for 240 volt application.

My club once had a layout donated to us by a late members estate, where we discovered months after playing around with the wiring, that it had 110 Volts (a 110 volt motored turntable) going through unsuitable connectors and was permanently live.

I once come across some telephones in a house that had been wired with 240 Volt plugs and sockets - very scary. Obviously the prior house owner had free access to such hardware & decided to use them.

I once come across some telephones in a house that had been wired with 240 Volt plugs and sockets - very scary. Obviously the prior house owner had free access to such hardware & decided to use them.

To paraphrase the old joke:

Boy,

Pass me my brown trousers :O

Regards,

Dave

I use "Molex" connectors such as these, as used in PC's for low voltage power distribution to hard drives etc.  Various lengths are available, I just cut them in half and screw into terminal blocks across board joints.

The 12v DC you can use the yellow and red so you know which is always positive and negative, and the two black pins for AC.

• RMweb Premium

To paraphrase the old joke:

Boy,

Pass me my brown trousers :O

Regards,

Dave

Sorry, I get the joke. But surely your not advocating that using anything but proper 240 Volt fittings is in any way acceptable? Nor should those be used elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

On the original question, there are a lot of handheld controllers where the AC input and DC output run through the same cable and the same 4 or 5 pin connecter.

Sorry, I get the joke. But surely your not advocating that using anything but proper 240 Volt fittings is in any way acceptable? Nor should those be used elsewhere.

Kevin,

No, proper connectors are the only answer IIRC RJ11 for phones. Like yourself the use of 240v plugs and sockets correctly wired for anything other than mains voltage fills me with horror!

Dave

Archived