Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-0 mogul 43160

daftbovine

I hope someone can help with some information about this model. I bought an unboxed example at a swapmeet on Saturday.

My model is in excellent condition and runs very well. It's not listed on Bachmann's website so I assume it's quite a few years old, split chassis and not DCC ready. None of this worries me as my layout is DC.

Any information and a link to a service sheet ( there doesn't seem to be one on the Bachmann website ) would be gratefully received.

I doubt if its split chassis as the  43xxx models were introduced after Bachmann progressed from these. I'd suggest that the previous owner might have done a renumbering so it doesn't show up on the website. Is it in lined livery or all over black - if the latter it will have been repainted as well as I don't think Bachmann have ever done one without the lining. From the number it sounds like an Eastern Region example, perhaps onetime on the M&GN and so might have had a tablet catcher on the tender.

John.

Perhaps not as old as you think. 43160 is listed as Bachmann reference 32-577 in their pdf of past products. Ramsay's guide suggests it dates from about 2005 and is DCC ready.

Could you look for a write-up with photos of a  DCC conversion in the absence of a service leaflet, as it might give some clues re which screws do what?

I hope someone can help with some information about this model....... It's not listed on Bachmann's website so I assume it's quite a few years old, split chassis and not DCC ready. None of this worries me as my layout is DC.

Any information and a link to a service sheet ( there doesn't seem to be one on the Bachmann website ) would be gratefully received.

The Ivatt 4MT is one of those Bachmann models which did not get an online service sheet for some odd reason (others affected include the BR Std.4 tank, Robinson O4/ROD, and Peppercorn A2, as well as the updated versions of the A4, V2 and B1), but the BR Std.4 2-6-0 chassis has similarities, so you might find it a useful substitute. In real life, too, the Std.4 Mogul was a tidied-up version of the Ivatt.

It is definitely not a split chassis.

Agree definitely not a split chassis, I have both this Ivatt, the BR derived version and the mini Ivatt mogul.

All are not split chassis.

Be contrast the Ivatt 2-6-2 tank is split chassis (although the next runs will see that replaced with a new chassis)

I'd try a request with Bachmann service for a photocopied sheet.

The link to the BR 4MT 2-6-0 is useful in giving a hint to what's inside; however the Ivatt body securing screws are differently positioned, although easy to identify. Look for the two deep holes in the underside centreline, there's a cross head screw at the bottom of each, they secure the body.

Also look out for the pipes to the injectors under the cab, in the earlier models these were glued into the injectors, and have to be cut free to allow the body off. Later models they are not connected which is easier.

Then the body may or may not come off! The mechanism is a really tight fit in the body shell, and there are two upward protrusions of the chassis into the body; in the firebox and in the smokebox. The chassis has to drop out level if it is not to bind, and may be 'glued' in place with paint that was still tacky at assembly. I had a real struggle with one of my two, and once I had them apart gave both chassis some attention with a file to make them an easy fit...

Archived