3rd Rail Liverpool area - new layout

Calimero

Developing plans for my new layout, infact this has been kicking around my brain and bits of paper for a number of years.

I've been playing around with the XTrkCad to get a bit more of an idea.

Originally as with the first plan it would be 15+ foot, platforms for 6-Cars and in that I added a freight yard (although this will be ommitted now)

I'm probably looking now at plan 2 which scales down to 3-Car platforms although I would probably extend them to 4-Car to get a better perspective.

Aim is to have JE Kit 503 and MTK/NNK 507/508 although there may be scope to add 142s, 156? and 1st Gen DMUs. Also occasional stabling of locos in the sidings.

Questions:

Using Peco streamline do the single slips match with medium radius or large radius?

Does anyone know where to get hold of an ageing copy of Railway Modeller which had 'West Kirby' as plan of the month, I think this was an edition in the 90s?

Does anyone have any info or photos on West Kirby?

Thanks

Andy

Guest Austerity94

Hi Andy,

Nice to see someone else thinks the WK is worth modelling. Saying that, my own version (provisionally named 'Hilbre Ferry') is still to get off the ground. What I do have, though, are lots of pics that I took in January 2008 plus signalling diagrams, historical stuff, etc. Sadly, most of it is copyright of others but I'll try and post some of my stuff as soon as I can (i.e. work permitting!). There are a couple of other folk on this forum who know the area well, some of whom have lived nearby for some time; hopefully they'll see this and put up some useful stuff. If there are any specific questions or info let me know and I'll try and get the info to you in the next couple of days.

If you're going to run some DMUs as well as the 507/508s, then you may want to look at Hatton's Ltd. Ed. 150/2 in MerseyRail colours; Hornby also recently did a 142 in the same scheme.

Good luck with the model.

Regards,

Alex.

PS. Why Calimero? It's not a reference to the cartoon, is it?

post-6748-12649421258622_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this, on the last picture I take it this is a Sandite/De-Icer unit? Is that EPB based 501/2 as used on the London Broad Streets.

I am originally from this area and I believe that somewhere there is a picture of my brother in the cab of that deicer/sandite unit. I will ask my father if he has any pictures of the area.

Thanks for this, on the last picture I take it this is a Sandite/De-Icer unit? Is that EPB based 501/2 as used on the London Broad Streets.

I believe they were; they came up as three car units.

The centre cars were removed at Birkenhead North depot and after a short while they were sent for scrap.

All the seats were removed from the remaining coaches but they weren't very reliable. Later a class 73 was put between two driving trailer cars and this ensemble was used until the MPVs arrived on the scene.

Another photo, taken a few years earlier (one I forgot to add to the previous post)

post-6748-12649526343312_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Another photo, taken a few years earlier (one I forgot to add to the previous post)

post-6748-12649526343312_thumb.jpg

Great picture (and nice to see some proper LMS trains - I grew up with the 502s on the Southport line). This station looks like it was designed by a modeller!

• 2 years later...

post-6748-12649421258622_thumb.jpg

It is a Class 501 from the London NLL area loosley based on a EPB as there were numeous differences. I have posted details of the differences on my website http://www.croxleywiggenhallroaddepot.co.uk/myblog/?page_id=73 (click on table to enlarge)

XF

Archived