Finescaling a Dublo breakdown train

Guest Max Stafford

Guest Max Stafford

Firstly apologies; 'train' above should actually read 'crane', I'm just thick and haven't figured out how to edit the thread title! :wacko:

Another project I currently have in formulation is to re-create the Eastfield 45 ton breakdown crane using the Hornby-Dublo model as a starting point.

I hope to borrow from the experiences of others who have produced a finescale Cowans & Sheldon 45 tonner via this route. The first priority is to sort out the wheels and replace them with something more up to date and capable of running on finescale track.

My preference is to turn the crane out in black livery, but I will turn it out in red if it had received this livery by 1963. Help from the livery aspect would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Another project I currently have in formulation is to re-create the Eastfield 45 ton breakdown crane using the Hornby-Dublo model as a starting point.

I hope to borrow from the experiences of others who have produced a finescale Cowans & Sheldon 45 tonner via this route. The first priority is to sort out the wheels and replace them with something more up to date and capable of running on finescale track.

My preference is to turn the crane out in black livery, but I will turn it out in red if it had received this livery by 1963. Help from the livery aspect would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave,

Others more knowledgable than myself will no doubt give chapter and verse, but I looked into doing exactly the same thing some time back.

I seem to recall that the jib is too short - just the first major hurdle!

I will watch for other responses with interest - I have a stripped casting waiting for the treatment.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks John. I'm happy to accept some compromises as long as I can achieve a good overall effect. I assume you have some transfers under consideration...? ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

The biggest problem for this rivet counting pedant is that the jib is held captive in the carrier on the runner wagon on the prototype, and the movement on curves is taken up at the jib foot on the carriage. The fact that the jib on the model slides on the runner wagon makes it look wrong to me.

If the jib were to be scale size, then the top end of the jib would be at runner wagon floor level and it's length could well be limited by the minimum radius curve on the layout.

I keep intending to alter the Hornby plastic crane, but so far I've not been able to source a runner wagon, nor made a full length jib, and always found something easier to do.

The biggest problem for this rivet counting pedant is that the jib is held captive in the carrier on the runner wagon on the prototype, and the movement on curves is taken up at the jib foot on the carriage. The fact that the jib on the model slides on the runner wagon makes it look wrong to me.

The jib's on the Cowans 45t cranes was rigid, not articulated, although I believe that one example had a new jib that was (and at the same time uprated to 50t) following an accident.

Jon

Archived