BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Have been working on more interiors.

The next one is a uni-sex hairdressers.

The figures are Preiser and very expensive and you only get one person (male) actually sitting in a barbers chair in each set. So I've had to spent a lot of time creating a second (female) customer.

post-4476-0-47041600-1501586708_thumb.jpg

I have also had to convert the European hairdresser into a shorter Chinese one - in jeans rather than a mini skirt....

post-4476-0-72791200-1501586621_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

So in the hairdressers I wanted a male and female in the two chairs.

Preiser only do a man ...

post-4476-0-98424300-1501627422.jpg

They also include a woman in curlers sitting on a chair reading a magazine. So I made a few changes and sat her in the second chair. Her hair is now black and her skin tone is different most importantly she no longer has crossed legs and no longer wears a skirt.

Here she is .... before and after!

post-4476-0-44888000-1501627437_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not sure if I've made progress today yet or not. And that is a question of semantics.................

In one sense I've made progress because by 11.30am I had sorted out a problem ......... but it was a problem I hadn't known about at 8.30am ... so in a sense after three hours work I'm just where I thought I was three and a half hours ago ... so is that progress?????!!!!

Here's what I've been doing ...

You will remember I bought some grain cars and tanks cars 'as kits' from a dealer and had to spend  ages assembling them. By the end I had quite a few bits left over which (luckily) I kept. Today I discovered that some of the 'extra' parts actually needed to go on the ends of the grain cars in quite an obvious place - how did I miss that?

This is how a factory built one is supposed to look .......

post-4476-0-87295800-1501670732_thumb.jpg

This is how my assembled kits looked....

post-4476-0-35405200-1501670679_thumb.jpg

I found three of the bits I needed in my spares box but I had to make two as two had gone missing

post-4476-0-66359800-1501670847_thumb.jpg

So this how two look now ....

post-4476-0-30813300-1501672560_thumb.jpg

Bearing in mind that these two cars will be in a train of 35 cars that will pass your eye line at 3ft away doing a scale 40 miles an hour was that three hours worth the effort??

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

I'm not sure if I've made progress today yet or not. And that is a question of semantics.................

In one sense I've made progress because by 11.30am I had sorted out a problem ......... but it was a problem I hadn't known about at 8.30am ... so in a sense after three hours work I'm just where I thought I was three and a half hours ago ... so is that progress?????!!!!

Here's what I've been doing ...

You will remember I bought some grain cars and tanks cars 'as kits' from a dealer and had to spend  ages assembling them. By the end I had quite a few bits left over which (luckily) I kept. Today I discovered that some of the 'extra' parts actually needed to go on the ends of the grain cars in quite an obvious place - how did I miss that?

This is how a factory built one is supposed to look .......

attachicon.gifDSC_0282.JPG

This is how my assembled kits looked....

attachicon.gifDSC_0276.JPG

I found three of the bits I needed in my spares box but I had to make two as two had gone missing

attachicon.gifDSC_0271.JPG

So this how two look now ....

attachicon.gifDSC_0285.JPG

Bearing in mind that these two cars will be in a train of 35 cars that will pass your eye line at 3ft away doing a scale 40 miles an hour was that three hours worth the effort??

It's the accumulation of all these little details that makes a great layout...

Have wasted much of my day trying to get some cheap Chinese electronic timers to work - to be fitted into all seven electro-magnet circuits. Total watse of time, total waste of money!  Have now sourced a more reliable alternative via a friend of mine who is a retired ellectronics engineer.

Other than that, have spent hours and hours on the next interior - unisex hairdresser's.

post-4476-0-71008100-1502058247.jpg

Not quite finished yet.

• Like 3

New electronics module fitted. This is a timer to control  Kadee electromagnets (one module per magnet) - now just a quick push and the electromagnet stays on for 10 seconds so the operator can have both hands free to control the train.

post-4476-0-58832100-1502613619_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

I have spent virtually the whole day making a hotel room......

post-4476-0-52059500-1502643080_thumb.jpg

It took ages ................ I can't list all the issues that made it take so long but believe me it was a nightmare because I wanted the woman to be seen reflected in the mirror.

post-4476-0-92869000-1502643041_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Had a very satisfactory day so far. Completed ( including lighting ) the clothese shop interior. Now this one is different to all the rest because although in a very shallow half relief building the interior needed to be deep. And so, this interior will go through the backscene and I will need to make some protection, both for it and the operators who might injure themselves on it.

post-4476-0-10535800-1502892640.jpg

• Like 3

Had a very satisfactory day so far. Completed ( including lighting ) the clothese shop interior. Now this one is different to all the rest because although in a very shallow half relief building the interior needed to be deep. And so, this interior will go through the backscene and I will need to make some protection, both for it and the operators who might injure themselves on it.

attachicon.gifDSC_0288.JPG

... and because those operators will be viewing the changing rooms from the other side of the curtains!

Steve (red faced)

attachicon.gifDSC_0288.JPG

Paul, great modelling as usual. All your shop intervals and apartment intervals do look great. I can see why you've desided to increase the depth of the hotel lobby and clothes shop, but I do have to question it from a practicality sence.

If the intervals are permenantly fixed, how much will the extend out from the backboard back edge? And how are they protected while moving, stacking and storing the boards?

If the intervals are detachable, are they not just another item adds to to the set-up & strip-down time?

Paul, great modelling as usual. All your shop intervals and apartment intervals do look great. I can see why you've desided to increase the depth of the hotel lobby and clothes shop, but I do have to question it from a practicality sence.

If the intervals are permenantly fixed, how much will the extend out from the backboard back edge? And how are they protected while moving, stacking and storing the boards?

If the intervals are detachable, are they not just another item adds to to the set-up & strip-down time?

Al

The add-ons will have to be removeable as the boards cannot store in my shed with them on - space is tight.  And, you are entirely correct that one of my mantras has been about speed of setting up and taking down and getting everything as streamlined as possible and these two add-ons are in conflict with that thinking.

My plan is to make these as quick and easy to add as possible - for example the lighting in the add-ons is self contained and will have their own battery power built in to save time joining up wires to the layout supply. Moreover, they are both 'non-essentials' in the sense they are not needed to get the layout up and running, if necessary they could be added as  'the last thing' and removed before an exhibition closes.

• RMweb Premium

Really positive day today. Work on the hotel ground floor has begun.

Restaurant, foyer and bar ....,

attachicon.gifDSC_0291.JPG

Love how you care of all the details! Great stuff! Is there already a plan when to go public with this layout?

I would travel a few miles to see that!

Vecchio

Love how you care of all the details! Great stuff! Is there already a plan when to go public with this layout?

I would travel a few miles to see that!

Vecchio

The layout will have its first public outing at Bristol in May 2018.

• RMweb Premium

No matter if it is 100% finished or not - it is great and well worth showing it.

Go for it!

(saying that I have to look at my own layout - should be presented in Feb 2019 but is far from being operational...)

Vecchio

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself this morning. Did three hours work on the layout last night after work instead of watching TV!

As often before, the work invloved upgrading work I'd done previously.

My first attempt on these pavements which are right at the front of the layout looked more like Bradford than Beijing and so some months ago I re-did them with some photo realistic Chinese paving stone sheets made for me by fellow Twickenham MRC member Grant Alderson .......

post-4476-0-45203500-1503124896_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-21095400-1503124926_thumb.jpg

But I still didn't like them - the patterns repeat in blocks and as you look along the pavement you can clearly see these repeating patterns

So in the last few days I have re-done them again with a new photorealistic Chinese pavement made for me by Grant - much better!

post-4476-0-17485600-1503166648_thumb.jpg

All now done and ready to be permanently fitted to the layout.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

Some of you may suspect that I have been messing around with minor issues in order to avoid tackling the hotel ground floor - and you would be right!

There was nothing else for it today - I had to make a start some time!

Here is a mock up of part of the restaurant .....

post-4476-0-83697200-1503313800_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

On the subject of going back to improve things I'd done before and also on the subject of working on things to avoid dealing with the hotel issue .....

To my horror yesterday I realised that I had never 'finished' the open air market. So have done some work on it today (to avoid working on the hotel foyer!).

Here is the market yesterday ...

post-4476-0-89068300-1503500749_thumb.jpg

And now today .....

post-4476-0-69037400-1503500712_thumb.jpg

There are still two stalls to be made, but that's for another day

• Like 9