BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful scenes, you need a lot of Preiser (or similar) people. Do you purchase them ready made or unpainted?

My impression from the few trips I made into China (Tianjin, Baoying, Beijing) was that there are always a lot of people in the markets, and of course with their means of transport. The latter changed a lot, in 1999 Tianjin was full of bicycles (and tricycles) of all kind and shape, best I remember those where the driver has to paddle backwards because of the transmission. Some 10 years later a lot of the bicycles have disappeared and replaced by mopeds and cars. I cannot see all details of the stalls - but I am sure you integrated also some street cooking stalls which you find everywhere. I didn't like them as you see that some of them have a 30l water canister for the cleaning up business of the whole day...

Beautiful scenes, you need a lot of Preiser (or similar) people. Do you purchase them ready made or unpainted?

99.9% of the people on the layout are Preiser and the majority of them are prepainted. It's not because I don't want to paint figures it's because I tend to buy the latest releases which don't come in the unpainted sets. Where I can I buy the new releases because some of the old figures (especially the ones in the unpainted sets) have become somewhat clichéd - every layout has them!

99.9% of the people in the coaches are very cheap Chinese unpainted figures - mostly standing figures cut off at the waiste . They aren't a patch on the Preiser ones but in the unlit coaches they are really only seen briefly as they pass by.

There is real progress about to be made!

I have had a large apartment block made for over a year, but couldn't plant it on the layout because I was waiting for some 3D shop fronts.

Have heard today that the shop fronts are in production and should be in the post shortly.

post-4476-0-22392100-1503751294_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

More progress

I spent a long time modifying the backscene on scenic board #3 to allow the three new interiors to poke through. This shows the three .....

post-4476-0-06781000-1503950516_thumb.jpg

In the distance is the hotel ground floor, in the middle is the hairdressers (it only goes 3mm into the backscene to end up flush) and in the foreground is the clothes shop.

I will need to make some protection for the hotel and the clothes shop.

I also permanently glued the hotel onto the baseboard ....

post-4476-0-68894900-1503950213_thumb.jpg

The banner advertises a petro-chemical conference ....

post-4476-0-72012200-1503950235_thumb.jpg

Here's the original .....

post-4476-0-31145600-1503950363_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8

Very exciting development today - a small package arrived in the post - inside were my 3D printed shop fronts.

This has been a work in progress for some time as you can see from this photo. On the left is the mk 1 version and on the right is the mk 3 version.

post-4476-0-29179600-1504183940.jpg

Quite a lot of progress today across various topics

Firstly, I have never been 100% happy with the texture paper finish on the industrial station platform. I used foamboard as the base and sections of 40 thou plasticard as the top. I fixed the texture paper to the plasticard with double sided sellotape on my workbench and laid them in approx 5 inch sections. Whilst they looked great initially the gaps between the sections became more and more apparent - due I suspect to variations in temperature.

post-4476-0-28461800-1504203463_thumb.jpg

So I took the plunge ......

post-4476-0-47356800-1504203485_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Paul's layout is coming on a treat. As the scenery goes on its really starting to look like urban Industrial China.

For my part, I've been helping out with the goods vehicles. This is the latest one - before and during shots.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It started out life as a Wiking Royal Mail truck, and after a little bit of work and a coat of green paint, will end up as a DongFeng China Mail truck.

Only a dozen or so more to go.

Al.

Al, just remembered this post of yours. I completely forgot to tell you that I have photos which could be developed (with help from my friend Grant) into an overlay for this vehicle for you based on .....

post-4476-0-10026600-1504851574_thumb.jpg

and/or ....

post-4476-0-18862300-1504851657_thumb.jpg

Al, just remembered this post of yours. I completely forgot to tell you that I have photos which could be developed (with help from my friend Grant) into an overlay for this vehicle for you based

Can we get them printed onto water slid transfers?

• RMweb Premium

I have done similar, get some white decal sheet and print them yourself. Getting the size right will take some experimentation, printing on plain paper initially.

I did some wrap-around transfers for some curtain sided N scale wagons for a friend. They will probably be running on Welton Down at TINGS this weekend.

post-11458-0-11793900-1504908414_thumb.jpg

Here is an old video I made about printing transfers (decals)

https://youtu.be/VVIKNzzCxsE

Ian

Hampshire

I have done similar, get some white decal sheet and print them yourself. Getting the size right will take some experimentation, printing on plain paper initially.

I did some wrap-around transfers for some curtain sided N scale wagons for a friend. They will probably be running on Welton Down at TINGS this weekend.

attachicon.giftarps.jpg

Here is an old video I made about printing transfers (decals)

https://youtu.be/VVIKNzzCxsE

Ian

Hampshire

Hi Ian

Many thanks for this, I will definitely try that.

Can we get them printed onto water slid transfers?

Hi Al

As I said to Ian, I am very happy to try that both for the Post van and the coke van ..... I have rear end views for both too. The biggest problem may be colour matching paint for the cabs.

I regret it won't be my #1 priority for a while ....... but it's now on the list!

I'm working on several small projects at once at the moment - more of that later - but I haven't forgotten the hotel restaurant/cafe ....... here's where we are so far ....

attachicon.gifDSC_0002.JPG

You forgot the restaurant owner and three of his friends sitting at a table in the corner smoking under the ''NO SMOKING'' sign :)

Yesterday I completed some wiring - all electromagnets are now fitted with 'fire and forget' timers so that operators don't have to keep a finger on the push button whilst uncoupling.

Then spent hours messing around with signs for the last set of shops. These shops are mid-range, not too posh, but not too basic either and then there is the question of getting them in the 'right' order. By that I mean getting them in an order that is artistically pleasing - a meddly of colours and shapes.

After several hours, here is the final mock up .....

post-4476-0-72498700-1505117595_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

When I was playing with shop signs yesterday I found a really nice shop sign that I really wanted on the layout, but it was the 'wrong' shape for the building I'm working on at the moment. The current building suits short dumpy signs as every shop is one unit, whereas this sign was quite long and thin and therefore more suited to a double unit shop.

So I looked around for an existing double unit shop that could do with an upgrade - and I found one!

The previous sign........

post-4476-0-82404300-1505168517_thumb.jpg

The same shop with its new improved sign.....

post-4476-0-58338600-1505168529_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

I'm ashamed to admit that yesterday I worked virtuallu an entire day and the total production was six sets of window bars.

post-4476-0-27774900-1505976783_thumb.jpg

The small square ones with straight bars are a doddle, maybe 15 minutes work, that's because that is the size and shape they are supposed to be. Then comes the bigger versions of those which are two of the smaller ones knitted together, maybe 30 minutes. Then we have the ornate ones which are bad enough as the small square version (at least an hour) because they are designed to fit a tall thing window not a short stubby one! They are a complete nightmare as a double (2 hours each!)

Then there is fitting them to the building which took about 20 minutes - two of these were already made and fitted at the weekend.

post-4476-0-56549100-1505976771_thumb.jpg

Part of the reason for the time taken is that these do not sit flat against the building as I hope this photo shows - flat against the building is quite a bit faster.

post-4476-0-88375400-1505977234_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6