BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

I reckon the first location is the better of the two. You'll have room to place all the bits and bobs that typically accumulate around places like this.

All the best,

Mark.

I agree

I like the position in the first photo. Adds something to, what I presume is intended to be, a small area of scrubland.

Hi Chris, Yes thinking of having three tress surrounding the building - sending off for some now.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the second best as the (hut) keeper has access to the main road when a train is crossing but I would have the back wall of the hut parallel to the rails and not the front parallel to the protecting road.

Kev.

Hello

Just caught up with several years’ worth of thread in a mammoth sitting on holiday.

Wow... just wow! For me your layout is now the golden standard for detailing interiors! All others should be judged against it in future!

“Not bad, but it’s no Baijao” ;)

Can I add something else to your obsessions? As a car enthusiast the herpa and wiking 1970s and 80s European cars are not prototypical. I recall on another thread (garage ramp arrangements) you are not a driver yourself so it falls maybe under your radar? China has a unique (!) mix of road traffic as you will know from your travels. Lots of primitive put-putting trikes and bikes etc. I don’t think many suitable vehicles are available in H0 at the moment though. I would maybe suggest those bulk buy H0 generic cars off the well known auction site as they are direct from Chinese sellers so doubly authentic! Plenty of scope for detailing as taxis and so on, plus some have working lights :)

Just a thought. I know that European cars are now much more plentiful in China than they used to be of course...

Edited by ianmacc

These are what I mean. The European cars at the front of my image are the later ones that the luckier Chinese new middle and upper classes were able to afford in 2005 and are circa 2000. The 70s and 80s cars such as the green wiking Passat next to the market on your layout were before the European manufacturers had any Chinese presence. The back ones on my image are a wonderfully hideous 1990s people carrier of Asian design that screams China!

post-34390-0-71675800-1529053185_thumb.png

Hello

Just caught up with several years’ worth of thread in a mammoth sitting on holiday.

Wow... just wow! For me your layout is now the golden standard for detailing interiors! All others should be judged against it in future!

“Not bad, but it’s no Baijao” ;)

Can I add something else to your obsessions? As a car enthusiast the herpa and wiking 1970s and 80s European cars are not prototypical. I recall on another thread (garage ramp arrangements) you are not a driver yourself so it falls maybe under your radar? China has a unique (!) mix of road traffic as you will know from your travels. Lots of primitive put-putting trikes and bikes etc. I don’t think many suitable vehicles are available in H0 at the moment though. I would maybe suggest those bulk buy H0 generic cars off the well known auction site as they are direct from Chinese sellers so doubly authentic! Plenty of scope for detailing as taxis and so on, plus some have working lights :)

Just a thought. I know that European cars are now much more plentiful in China than they used to be of course...

These are what I mean. The European cars at the front of my image are the later ones that the luckier Chinese new middle and upper classes were able to afford in 2005 and are circa 2000. The 70s and 80s cars such as the green wiking Passat next to the market on your layout were before the European manufacturers had any Chinese presence. The back ones on my image are a wonderfully hideous 1990s people carrier of Asian design that screams China!

Look online for 'JD delivery bike' should show you an example- I think...

Hello

I agree with you to a great extent ... I had just hoped that no-one would notice this anomaly.

I think the VW passat was built in China and I think Herpa or Busch made one - back in the day! I started a thread on RMweb to source these but got no luck. The trouble is that I would want 5-8 of them and any collector would only probably have one or two. The thread is here ....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121141-wanted-wiking-ho-vw-passat-1980s-style/?hl=passat

Needless to say that as a non-driver a lot of this went over my head!

• RMweb Premium

You are right. At the end of the 90 the roads were full of Chinese built VW Passat's and Toyota (Corolla?l The 3 wheelers went down in numbers dramatically fast at this time.

In the year 99 all was full of bycicles and mentioned 3 wheelers. 10 years later the picture has changed. This was in cities like Bejing or Tianjin.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with you to a great extent ... I had just hoped that no-one would notice this anomaly.

I think the VW passat was built in China and I think Herpa or Busch made one - back in the day! I started a thread on RMweb to source these but got no luck. The trouble is that I would want 5-8 of them and any collector would only probably have one or two. The thread is here ....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121141-wanted-wiking-ho-vw-passat-1980s-style/?hl=passat

Needless to say that as a non-driver a lot of this went over my head!

Some very clapped-out VW Jetta taxis would look good if you can find them, as would the ubiquitous small vans (Jinbei Haice) that were China-built versions of the Toyota Hiace.

This 2005 picture bears out previous comments. Thought it may be useful?

Still tons of bicycles. All the cars bar one are VWs. There is an E34 BMW 5 series near the China bank building. Both the vans are those Hiace clones.

I will let the others tell you which ranges have them for the right era as my knowledge is 1:72 and 1:76.

post-34390-0-52109300-1529132905.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This 2005 picture bears out previous comments. Thought it may be useful?

Still tons of bicycles. All the cars bar one are VWs. There is an E34 5 series near the China bank building. Both the vans are those Hiace clones.

I will let the others tell you which ranges have them for the right era as my knowledge is 1:72 and 1:76.

This 2005 picture bears out previous comments. Thought it maybe useful?

Still tons of bicycles. All the cars bar one are VWs. There is an E34 5 series bear the China bank building. Both the vans are those Hiace clones.

Which city Ian?

My (and I’m sure others’) pleasure. Then you can put your brilliant detailing skills to use by putting in passengers, adding tiny taxi signs, number plates, rust patches, different colour replaced wings, dents etc! ;)

PS this is just good natured friendly assistance of course. I have some cars on my uk layout that I just like rather than because they were the 7th best seller in Yorkshire in may 1983!!

Edited by ianmacc

Here are some of the cars in my earlier photo.

Herpa Jetta/ Vento in taxi also available plain.

Busch Passat B2 (not in pic but mentioned by others).

AMW 1996-2006 Passat B6 in estate and saloon.

Tomytec Toyota Hiace.

Herpa BMW 5 series E34 1988-1995. Was surprised by this one as that is an old model and actually challenges one of my earlier comments!

H0 is spoilt for choice compared to 00...

post-34390-0-14330100-1529146691.jpeg

post-34390-0-40495500-1529146708.jpeg

post-34390-0-43376200-1529146748_thumb.jpeg

post-34390-0-53139300-1529146906_thumb.jpeg

post-34390-0-94303400-1529160609.jpeg

post-34390-0-08716200-1529160668.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was very impressed with this layout, and it's operation, at the recent Bristol show.  The banking operation was particularly believable, and the DCC sound enhanced it (but perhaps because I do not really know how Chinese steam locos sound...).

There was some concern that the lights were a little overscale - too tall - and so I have built up the land to reduce their apparent height and to raise the hut in comparison so the lights look shorter.

post-4476-0-07743600-1529877509_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-42533500-1529877525_thumb.jpg

The electronics have now been installed and so the barriers go up and down and the lights then either show one single green light or two flashing red ones. Next is to wire in the IRDOT units so it all works automatically.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6