BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

I am finally making some (limited) progress today. I have recently bought an HO scale rickshaw from a new manufacturer, just to evaluate it. Unfortunately, they all come with a driver figure fitted and so it would look a bit odd in a cark park. So, it has to be on the road - but unlike the Faller road vehicles it won't be moving - why would it be on the road, but not moving?

Answer if people were crossing the road in front of it.

Here was the hotel on Monday - note the two people pulling suitcases

InkedIMG_20230220_114756.jpg.8a0312bfa9fdea9343ee0730c7128001.jpg

The new arrangement shows the two now leaving their taxi which has pulled up around the corner and the rickshaw waits patiently as they cross in front of him - YES, I know that in reality he would probably just drive on the other side of the road and only miss hitting that woman by inches, but this is an ideal world, not reality!

IMG_20230222_135047.jpg.c83566f0da4b9d9acd4aae84e43159ef.jpg

Whilst on the subject of figures, I came across a set of figures with a child sitting on a suitcase and pointing and, of course, I had to have them on the layout.

IMG_20230222_135100.jpg.76854d2bc1a1c4c79c278e9b4b8173c8.jpg

• Like 9

On 20/02/2023 at 22:45, TEAMYAKIMA said:

<snip> as they're nice middle class girls they will try to avoid getting too close to those dirty working class types waiting on the street corner.<snip>

And also the weird "Laowai" with camera's from the wrong side of the railway tracks...

Luke

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Only just stumbled upon this thread. Having lived for several years in provincial Chinese cities - Binzhou and Yantai - around the turn of the Millennium I am bound to say that this captures the grimness of that environment perfectly, and I mean that as a compliment. Top, top work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I posted this photo last summer - one of my Faller Roadway vehicles got a bit too much sun!

IMG_20220623_145754.jpg.bbcacbb48ba7dfbfa1bb5f09cc439887.jpg

Luckily, the basic working chassis was not damaged and the only real loss was the sun shade over the windscreen (not much of a loss in industrial China!) and the tipper itself.

So, after taking advice in another thread, I have cobbled together a new body using bits and pieces from my bits and pieces box.

DSC_0006.JPG.d3ff1534108d08b42b67e5bba852826f.JPG

This rather poor photo doesn't really show the model off to great advantage - the gravel load is much better in reality!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I think I posted this photo last summer - one of my Faller Roadway vehicles got a bit too much sun!

IMG_20220623_145754.jpg.bbcacbb48ba7dfbfa1bb5f09cc439887.jpg

Luckily, the basic working chassis was not damaged and the only real loss was the sun shade over the windscreen (not much of a loss in industrial China!) and the tipper itself.

So, after taking advice in another thread, I have cobbled together a new body using bits and pieces from my bits and pieces box.

DSC_0006.JPG.d3ff1534108d08b42b67e5bba852826f.JPG

This rather poor photo doesn't really show the model off to great advantage - the gravel load is much better in reality!

The bent tipping body is almost prototypical given the crash on the M5 last week with a tipper jammed under the overhead gantry!

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/long-m5-delays-after-tipper-8205894

• 3 weeks later...

With all the 'major' outstanding issues having been dealt with, I have turned my attention to some issues which have been somewhat on the back burner. One such issue is destination boards for the 10 coach double deck train. 

IMG_20230320_160702.jpg.e8e425fea48764889af1daac5c234b31.jpg

Job done!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Now, with the layout nearly finished, I have finally got around to several issues which have been on the back burner for a long time. One of those issues was the rolling resistance of some rolling stock - especially the lesser known brands i.e. our old favourite Bachmann is very good in this regard, but some newer brands (some of whom have long since come and gone) were not so good. After a lot of sole-searching (years!) I decided to try Kadee GREASE'M as my preferred lubricant and set up a test rig using a PECO railer to be able to compare before and after so as to ascertain if it was having an effect 

Going back into pre-history, there were these (awful) NX17 flat cars manufactured by a company which (thankfully) only ever made one model - to see just how awful, look at this initial 'before' test run ........

IMG_20230331_154052.jpg.96a164906f1e6790f64b8471a511b8d1.jpg

You can see that its rolling resistance was so bad that it didn't even get off the railer.

But after applying GREASE'M .........................

IMG_20230331_154851.jpg.e8ca67a4ea437dd766fa4bdb02079e0d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Paul, I work in 7mm, but given a similar situation with my Kiss Mitteleinsteinwagen, I eased off the axlebox cover, reamed out the axlebox and fitted a top hat bearing.  Steel to brass works better than steel to sticky plastic.  One must use Roxey Moulding top hats for this job.  Bill

19 hours ago, bbishop said:

Paul, I work in 7mm, but given a similar situation with my Kiss Mitteleinsteinwagen, I eased off the axlebox cover, reamed out the axlebox and fitted a top hat bearing.  Steel to brass works better than steel to sticky plastic.  One must use Roxey Moulding top hats for this job.  Bill

Hello Bill

Thanks for the idea, but I just want to deal with these issues ASAP and move on to other things. If the GREASE'M method proves to be insufficient to do the job I will simply shorten the trains to suit the allocated locos.

I am going through every train and making 'final' checks and then signing off each train in turn as being 'done'.

I spent most of yesterday working through just one freight train - checking/solving rolling resistance, checking Kadee couplings for things like missing springs, gluing back damaged steps etc.

When all of those reliability issues were dealt with I found time to address some outstanding weathering issues. I have six super detailed container flats by MTC (Model Trains China) and They have loads of underframe detail which will be lost if/when they run with containers and so I plan to leave some without containers or just one. I didn't want to over weather these as they have plenty of nice lettering along the solebars and it seems a pity to weather them so much that that detail is obscured. Here is a weathered one with underframe detail exposed and a fresh out of the box for comparison. 

IMG_20230401_171413.jpg.af8b5ffefe62c9e278720e942dbb5a7b.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Do you have an up to date plan for BeiJiao so that us newbies can arrive a bit prepared?

Kev.

• Agree 1

On 02/04/2023 at 13:49, SHMD said:

Hi Paul,

Do you have an up to date plan for BeiJiao so that us newbies can arrive a bit prepared?

Kev.

Hello Kev

Yes and no. I am in process of producing a series of documents which will help newbies ( and the not-so-newbies ) with setting-up, dismantling and operation. 

Basically, in theory, things are easier now that I have replaced all the DIGITRAX DT402 throttles with the newer and (hopefully) easier to use DT602 throttles and the even easier to operate UT6 throttles. 

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, duff man said:

Paul, not sure if you are Dcc, if so have you considered Wi-Fi using smart phones. It's so easy as you witnessed on Wolfstatt recently. 

No, we don't use DCC - we use DIGITRAX.  That's an in-joke 😉

Joking apart, yes we use DIGITRAX and in the very early days, due to the size of the layout, we were advised to go wireless. So, all four DT402 throttles were sent back to the USA to be converted to wireless, but our very first exhibition was the big BRISTOL show and our layout was located directly under electricity pylons and that caused mayhem.

Then later, we went to the Glasgow show and mobile phone use caused absolute chaos with the signal - apparently it's a well-known thing in that venue.

So, last year I sold off all those expensively upgraded DT402's and replaced them with the latest conventional DT602 and UT6 throttles and they work well and operators now have fixed operating positions and everyone is relaxed and happy.

TBH on the basis of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I think we're now where we want to  be. I realise that what you are suggesting is not the same as what we had before, but I am not that technical and having just splashed out £hundreds on these new controllers I want to be conservative and stick with what we have. 

But thanks for your interest and input and BTW I thought your layout was the best at the recent London show.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, duff man said:

Paul, not sure if you are Dcc, if so have you considered Wi-Fi using smart phones. It's so easy as you witnessed on Wolfstatt recently. 

This assumes we all have a smart phone. I do not.

I do have a works phone but I am not allowed to install anything on it. (It's checked...)

I also find using none-tactile controllers difficult - I find the need to have-to-look at the controller before attempting to press anything, thus taking my eyes off the action at the critical moment.

Kev.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

No, we don't use DCC - we use DIGITRAX.  That's an in-joke 😉

Joking apart, yes we use DIGITRAX and in the very early days, due to the size of the layout, we were advised to go wireless. So, all four DT402 throttles were sent back to the USA to be converted to wireless, but our very first exhibition was the big BRISTOL show and our layout was located directly under electricity pylons and that caused mayhem.

Then later, we went to the Glasgow show and mobile phone use caused absolute chaos with the signal - apparently it's a well-known thing in that venue.

So, last year I sold off all those expensively upgraded DT402's and replaced them with the latest conventional DT602 and UT6 throttles and they work well and operators now have fixed operating positions and everyone is relaxed and happy.

TBH on the basis of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I think we're now where we want to  be. I realise that what you are suggesting is not the same as what we had before, but I am not that technical and having just splashed out £hundreds on these new controllers I want to be conservative and stick with what we have. 

But thanks for your interest and input and BTW I thought your layout was the best at the recent London show.

Paul, many thanks for the compliment, much appreciated.

Craig.

Yes Wolfstatt is my first attempt at building a model railway However I have been a railway modeller all my life (if that makes any sense ) just haven't until now got round to actually building the railway. Its been a 10 year build with many new skills learnt and mistakes made as I'm sure you will have had similar experience of.

Craig.

21 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

And I'm told it was your first ever layout - is that right?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another 'back-burner' issue was the TRACK LAYING TRAIN - in the past it has always just sat in a siding on the industrial railway at the back of the layout.

I've been working on it today and manged to test it on the flyover end of the layout as I have three fiddle yard boards and one scenic board set up in my shed. It will still need to be tested/proven at the other end of the layout before we commit to it at an exhibition, but things are looking good so far.

IMG_20230414_173415.jpg.0db3d746f8a09256903d3cf6397905c3.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Another 'back-burner' issue was the TRACK LAYING TRAIN - in the past it has always just sat in a siding on the industrial railway at the back of the layout.

I've been working on it today and manged to test it on the flyover end of the layout as I have three fiddle yard boards and one scenic board set up in my shed. It will still need to be tested/proven at the other end of the layout before we commit to it at an exhibition, but things are looking good so far.

IMG_20230414_173415.jpg.0db3d746f8a09256903d3cf6397905c3.jpg

When we tried to run it before one of the continual problems was the crane boom. When it went into a curve the boom would stick out and sideswipe passing trains.

Has there been any progress on getting the boom to follow the preceding flat car so this no longer happens. As a back up could the boom car and flat car be reversed so the boom trails the direction of movement not proceeds it? Then even if the boom occasionally stuck out it would be pushed back in place by an opposing train rather than behaving like a knight with a lance on a horse?

Luke

7 hours ago, SHMD said:

Is that Brake Van needed there?  Can you use it where you need it now

Kev

Kev - I can see that you follow things carefully 😉 - you are referring to a post which I have now deleted asking if anyone had a caboose they would be prepared to sell me - it was for this 'new' train. I was offered one and it's in the post now and so the caboose in the photo was 'borrowed' from another train just for that photo. 

• Like 2