3 Engines to Swanage Railway

Is there a slight parting of the ways between the Swanage Railway and the Southern Sream Trust..?

I thought that the SST supplied the Swanage Railway with most of its loco needs.

If 34028 is out of ticket  this year, 34053 would have been a direct replacement, but it as gone direct from the SST works in Swanage to the SVR..

Keith.

Is there a slight parting of the ways between the Swanage Railway and the Southern Sream Trust..?

I thought that the SST supplied the Swanage Railway with most of its loco needs.

If 34028 is out of ticket  this year, 34053 would have been a direct replacement, but it as gone direct from the SST works in Swanage to the SVR..

Keith.

I think you are referring to Southern Locomotives LTD?

They own: 34010, 34028, 34053, 34070, 34072, 80104 and an Austerity Saddle Tank.

Current situation on that from as of now:

34010: In need of Restoration

34028: Operational at Swanage until August this year, when ticket expires

34053: Operational at SVR, ticket expires in August 2022

34070: Operational at Swanage, ticket expires September 2018

34072: Under Overhaul at Herston Works

80104: Under repair. Boiler sent off site, rolling frames still at Swanage.

Austerity Saddle Tank 'Norman': Operational on the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway, ticket expires in Febuary 2021

All Swanage's steam traction at this current time (i.e. without the new 3) is provided by SLL, apart from 30053 (Drummond Locomotives Limited) and 6696 (6695 locomotive society).

Yes, OK. Southern Locomotives LTD.

I am aware of the location of their locomotives and which are operational, but my question still stands.

Is there a little bit of moving apart of the two organisations.?

Particularly with 34053 not replacing 34028, instead going straight to the SVR and not even touching Swanage metal.

Keith.

I believe, at the time 34053 was completed, it was deemed by SLL that Swanage had enough engines at the time (Shorter line, only 2 trains running at any one time, 6 engines, etc) so they decided to get the most use out of 34053, they sent it to the SVR, where it would see more service...

Not sure about that, but that was a rumor I heard at the time...

• 1 month later...

A very good friend of mine from Scotland recently had a holiday down here in Dorset. When he was down here, he managed to take a few snaps of the 3 engines near Wareham:

N 1874 with U 31625:
post-20657-0-05614300-1407579425_thumb.jpg

N 1874:
post-20657-0-65777100-1407579472_thumb.jpg

Thanks to my friend for supplying the photos!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think you are referring to Southern Locomotives LTD?

They own: 34010, 34028, 34053, 34070, 34072, 80104 and an Austerity Saddle Tank.

Current situation on that from as of now:

34010: In need of Restoration

34028: Operational at Swanage until August this year, when ticket expires

34053: Operational at SVR, ticket expires in August 2022

34070: Operational at Swanage, ticket expires September 2018

34072: Under Overhaul at Herston Works

80104: Under repair. Boiler sent off site, rolling frames still at Swanage.

Austerity Saddle Tank 'Norman': Operational on the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway, ticket expires in Febuary 2021

All Swanage's steam traction at this current time (i.e. without the new 3) is provided by SLL, apart from 30053 (Drummond Locomotives Limited) and 6696 (6695 locomotive society).

Is there such a thing as having too many Bullied Pacific's? Not ideal branch line power. Swanage is housing the ex Mid Hants John Bunch N & U class moguls which have been badly neglected by the MHR after their schism with Bunch and which need lots of work but may be more suitably sized for the line.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Is there such a thing as having too many Bullied Pacific's? Not ideal branch line power. Swanage is housing the ex Mid Hants John Bunch N & U class moguls which have been badly neglected by the MHR after their schism with Bunch and which need lots of work but may be more suitably sized for the line.

Dava

Badly neglected? How? Care to expand on this rather sweeping statement?

I read in a magazine, that John Bunch wasn't best pleased with how his moguls had been left to deteriorate and said that they were 'worse than barry condition', can't remember what magazine it was though...

• RMweb Gold

Take a look at 31625 in the current 'Steam Railway'.

Ah, the Steam Beano.

In common with most other preserved railways we do not have the space or infrastructure to keep out of service locos under cover on the Mid Hants - indeed we don't have the facilities to keep in service locos under cover. Consequently over time the external condition will deteriorate quite quickly, so any photo of any out of service loco on any railway will come as a shock to people not familiar with the restoration and running of these locos.

As far as what Bunch has to say, well, he's not going to have anything good to say about the Mid Hants is he? I've known him for 27 years, I still see him to talk to occasionally on the other side of the fence at Southall, I was on the Mid Hants through the 'troubles' and know what went on. I choose not to count the man amongst my friends.

Enough said.

I did think his comments were a little harsh! But he won't like Swanage then, one engine shed that just about houses the M7, and the rest is open to the elements!

I read in a magazine, that John Bunch wasn't best pleased with how his moguls had been left to deteriorate and said that they were 'worse than barry condition', can't remember what magazine it was though...

Now I'm not an expert but from my inexperienced eye and I have no connection with the MHR, I would suggest that the standard 264t and the 75 standard are more ex Barry than anything else at Ropley, mainly because they are incomplete and have obviously been exposed to the elements with minimal remedial work since withdrawal in the 60s. I'm sure that Mr Bunches locomotives were in a far worse condition than they are now when they first came to MHR!

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I have read somewhere that JB was given the opportunity by the MHR to remove the engines from the line some time ago, before the current agreement expired this year. He chose not too. If this is true then he only has himself to blame for the condition they are now in.

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

What, no rods or valve gear? Cabs stripped of fittings? All non-ferrous bits ripped off?

I don't think so.

I've no idea what's been going on, but as a casual observer and fairly regular visitor to preserved lines, it all seems rather depressing.

All of which might suggest that nothing has changed in respect of the relationship between the "actualite" and Mr Bunch.  

Past events might suggest this might have been somewhat elastic.

Good luck Swanage, you might need a long spoon!.

I spoke to a very nice volunteer down in Norden yesterday, he brought up the subject of the engines, to which I questioned him about their whereabouts. He kindly informed me that the 2 in need of attention (N Class 31874 and U class 31625) were in/around Holton Heath (2-3 miles North-East of Wareham) receiving attention, having arrived 1-2 weeks ago!

Meanwhile, 31806, is to be arriving by road sometime next week or so, and is going straight into service!

31806 in June this year

attachicon.gifIMG_0660-1.jpg

Now there's no doubt that that really looks "badly neglected" and is certainly "worse than barry condition", what with steam leaking from the cylinder glands and absolutely nobody around talking to the poor engine!.

What are things coming to?. Oh sorry they aren't, the're going to Swanage, except none of them have arrived  on the railway yet!. 

How can we believe a word we are told?, but then if "someone" is involved we don't anyway, do we?. 

Now there's no doubt that that really looks "badly neglected" and is certainly "worse than barry condition", what with steam leaking from the cylinder glands and absolutely nobody around talking to the poor engine!.

What are things coming to?. Oh sorry they aren't, the're going to Swanage, except none of them have arrived  on the railway yet!. 

How can we believe a word we are told?, but then if "someone" is involved we don't anyway, do we?. 

Do please resist the temptation to be sarcastic! It's not helping the situation!

We know none of them have arrived at the railway, but 31874 and 31625 were never going straight to the railway anyway, and as said, 31806 is expected to arrive next week!

Finally, what else have we got to go on but someones word? I'm only trying to keep this updated with what information I can get! I'm sorry I can't provide a fixed date and exact facts about the moving of these engines, but it's the best I've got I'm afraid!

What, no rods or valve gear? Cabs stripped of fittings? All non-ferrous bits ripped off?

I don't think so.

I've no idea what's been going on, but as a casual observer and fairly regular visitor to preserved lines, it all seems rather depressing.

Yes, Mr Bunch has exaggerated quite badly, I know!

It's like he's blaming the rust on purposeful actions by the Mid Hants!

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Mr Bunch has exaggerated quite badly, I know!

It's like he's blaming the rust on purposeful actions by the Mid Hants!

He might have a point about the rust - after all, several preserved locos have been intentionally weathered by their owners so as to create the "end of steam" look. Perhaps it's not rust, just a few cans of Railmatch!

Archived