Various questions and posts from a noob

LU_fan

Another new question here: the 99931/1 set, 1938-stock Metropolitan East London Line "Last day of service", how realistic is that? Did these cars really wear the "Last day of service" notices in the door windows?

They had an A4 notice in each of the passenger door windows, although my photos don't tell me what it said.

post-336-0-43347900-1412497753.jpg

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Surely the pic in #55 is the preserved set filmed at Whitechapel in fairly recent times?  IIRC the last day workings would have been well worn stock with dirty (ie grey) roofs?

Edit:  I'd have expected the last day to have stock and station looking something like this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/7590221984/in/photolist-jG3ZP4-6b3Ctw-6VvVnk-5p7AxM-niAPqL-cyHSyh-6fdMbY-5cnNUK-6fdQJJ-dpwUHh-fnU7W7-8a4AHY-5aXeaW-7LuYph-6f9yGV-5KkzZA-56mACH-5s5c7w-5KkASG-5KgmDc-5d4aSq-hGhori-cUGKdb-eDTbsb-5Yj3q9-eDM5o2-eDTbuw-eDM5kv-eDTbw9-eDTbpE-eDM5nv-4dXK2y-jDBzKK-9QjSoa-jDEzzu-eDM5ma-outwzU-5KgmqP-5KkzKs-5KkAGS-5KkAwQ-5d43W3-6VFX6e-cmPMSC-bp8DQB-aZdXnR-6VzWMY-j89yX7-j85aSr-6VKZmJ

• RMweb Gold

My understanding is that set 99931/1 was of 1938 stock in  normal service on the East London Line.  It would thus be correct for the end of normal 1938 stock operations on that line (excluding any special notices on the last day).

My understanding is that set 99931/1 was of 1938 stock in  normal service on the East London Line.  It would thus be correct for the end of normal 1938 stock operations on that line (excluding any special notices on the last day).

Oh, ok. I had actually forgotten that the 1938 stock was actually used on the ELL in regular traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently my plans for an LU layout have begun to spiral out of control it feels like. And for some time i have been thinking about adding the 1959-stock heritage set to my collection. Now, obviously, that would require some custom work, something that i am not very good at. Therefore i have now started wondering, as my birthday is coming up, if there are any individuals or companies that i could contact about possibly ordering one of the driving cars?

Edit: Btw, if anyone cares, my red Isle of Wight set made its debut this past weekend on a museum show. There may have been a few issues, but nothing that couldn't be solved right away.

1902075_848354025184907_7169228388404417

The model firms that immediately come to mind for London Underground stock and bits and pieces are Metromodels and Radley Models.

Both are worth a look for ideas as well as buying kits and bits, plus a few ready to run items.

So you think that Radley Models could help out with the heritage set? Metromodels i think have their hands full with the development of their new 3D printed trains.

On the other hand, Radley Models never replied to the e-mail i sent a while back.

So you think that Radley Models could help out with the heritage set? Metromodels i think have their hands full with the development of their new 3D printed trains.

On the other hand, Radley Models never replied to the e-mail i sent a while back.

My experiences with both proprietors has been very positive, with both responding very promptly, and very helpfully, to recent queries of mine.

Emails are not perfect and can get lost or even shunted into spam filters/junk mail. I would recommend trying again, and reporting back here if there is no response a second time - give Phil the benefit of the doubt for the first one.

• RMweb Premium

As the '38, '59 and '62 stocks differed mainly in the cabs, the rest of the cars were virtually identical the answer is yes. The biggest 'fault' is the shape of the communicating doors on the '38 stock which on the prototype had a curved top. The moulds are made in such a way that the ends can be changed to provide the alternative cab. There are other small detail differences between the different stocks that you can choose to ignore or adjust if you prefer.

Lord of Narnia:

I'm not sure what you mean by "1990 red and cream" but i assume you are talking about the same train, the heritage train. The reason why i wanted to contact a firm about it is because i have never done any respray jobs before, but i have brush painted models and i am not good at masking. However, i can't seem to find your respray thread.

As for Radley Models, Phil did reply to my message. Thanks for your help.  :thankyou:

SRman:

Yeah, i know. I have given Phil the benefit of the doubt for the previous message. And seeing as how he replied to this one i guess the other one really did slip through the net.

• RMweb Premium

I assume by 1990's red and cream we're talking about this set, of which 2 cars went to Mangapps farm and 2 to Alderney?  Not sure if any of them are still in those places or in same colours.

revTubea800px_zps402c4294.jpg

The two at Mangapps are still there. This is one livery that EFE has never produced surprisingly.

I assume by 1990's red and cream we're talking about this set, of which 2 cars went to Mangapps farm and 2 to Alderney?  Not sure if any of them are still in those places or in same colours.

revTubea800px_zps402c4294.jpg

That's the train i'm looking for, yes. My personal favorite livery of the Underground.

The two at Mangapps are still there. This is one livery that EFE has never produced surprisingly.

Actually, i don't think it is very surprising. From what i understand they weren't even sure that their original models would sell very well. So why then produce a one-of-a-kind paint scheme? Although that might have referred only to the Isle of Wight cars, i'm not sure.

This was also known at the time as the Mars bar livery.

I believe in addition to the two cars started above a motor and trailer there is also a pair of motor cars on Alderney. There is also the last motor car at Morden depot retained by Althom. So of the Severn cars five remain.

Mars bar. That name sounds familiar, i think i've read it before somewhere. And i am not talking about the candy bar.

According to Squarewheels.org, there are indeed five cars remaining.

• DM 1030 at Mangapps Farm.
  • DM 1031 at Morden, converted to a conferenceroom/class room.
  • DM 1044 at Alderney.
  • DM 1045 at Alderney.
  • T 2044 at Mangapps Farm.

That's the train i'm looking for, yes. My personal favorite livery of the Underground.

Actually, i don't think it is very surprising. From what i understand they weren't even sure that their original models would sell very well. So why then produce a one-of-a-kind paint scheme? Although that might have referred only to the Isle of Wight cars, i'm not sure.

Mars bar. That name sounds familiar, i think i've read it before somewhere. And i am not talking about the candy bar.

According to Squarewheels.org, there are indeed five cars remaining.

• DM 1030 at Mangapps Farm.
  • DM 1031 at Morden, converted to a conferenceroom/class room.
  • DM 1044 at Alderney.
  • DM 1045 at Alderney.
  • T 2044 at Mangapps Farm.

Morden depot pics:

post-2049-0-31088500-1413730819.jpg

post-2049-0-02405100-1413730845.jpg

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

True. I didn't think of that. But the new sandite train looks pretty similar atleast.

The Sandite train is made up of 1962 stock, the most notable difference is the doors aren't red and some side windows have been blanked out.. Some of the 1938 driving motor cars were painted maroon (later yellow) when transferred to the engineers department as 'pilot motor cars' for transferring stock around the system. One 59/62 stock car was also converted to pilot motor car and painted green as well as a 59/62 stock trailer that was converted to a de-icer car carrying a unique livery.

• RMweb Gold

Archived