Lima 42' GUV - help sourcing parts

This is mine, based very much on what Larry did with his.  Replacement roof vents (MJT), Bachmann bogies, wire replacement handrails, MJT door handles.

lms42cct.jpg

Looks good, do you have a photo of the other side...would like to see what you have done with the batterbox thing?  Or is this side shown becasue you have not done anything with it :-)  Only joking, but I was thinking about positioning my finished model so the battery box side was away from the viewer... if I couldn't vcome up with an appropirately simple way of making it look good.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

For the battery box on mine I used a cast white metal component which I think was from ABS. Comet almost certainly offer a similar part and I've also seen (possibly on this forum, but not sure) a nice example scratch built in styrene.

Whatever you use, the challenge is removing the moulded battery box without wrecking too much of the underframe trussing.

• RMweb Premium

I'm planning to carry out a similar modification to a Lima Siphon at the same time, but with Hornby (essentially Airfix) GWR bogies.  I haven't yet attempted to separate the chassis from the underframe.  Anyone got any pointers there?

Pull the bogies off revealing 2 screws. Unscrew.

Unfortunately, swapping the bogies does nothing for the body with it's seriously over-wide planking. 

Pull the bogies off revealing 2 screws. Unscrew.

Unfortunately, swapping the bogies does nothing for the body with it's seriously over-wide planking. 

That's great, thanks.  All said and done, it's a plastic toy train from when expectations were very different.  I got a couple for a fiver in pretty much mint condition and the Hornby/Airfix bogies cost me postage.  The era I model means that the brake rigging is incorrect and the vans should have additional vents on the bodyside.  All the bits are out there for one day, but right now I'll be happy with them stabled at the back of my carriage sidings, along with my Stanier bogie GUV and Lima CCTs.

Alun

• RMweb Premium

The additional side vents can be had in etched brass from the trade (Blacksmith Models, iirc). Unfortunately, it's the fitting of them that really shows up the over-wide Lima planking. A real pity, as the upper vents on the Lima body are very nice indeed. It might be possible to fill and rescore the planking (alternately, some received ply or sheet metal replacement panels in their latter years)

There is also a replacement trussing and underframe gubbins kit labelled Siphon G, but it really applies to the earlier, outside-frames ones. (gas tanks, original brake rigging, etc)

That's great, thanks.  All said and done, it's a plastic toy train from when expectations were very different.  I got a couple for a fiver in pretty much mint condition and the Hornby/Airfix bogies cost me postage.  The era I model means that the brake rigging is incorrect and the vans should have additional vents on the bodyside.  

Alun

do you have a photo of the other side.

Seems not, sorry. I only took two pictures of it, the second after I'd weathered it and they're both of the same side.

limacct.jpg

That said, I was looking at a picture of one the other day and that whole battery box assembly was very visible and looked just like the Lima moulding. So although I didn't do anything with it (and I don't think Coach did on his either) I feel more justified in that decision.

I notice we've strayed onto the Lima Siphon. I don't want to start a fight or take over the thread, but I think they look OK with the Blacksmith detailing bits. This is a Palethorpes one with new underframe, bogies and the side vents.

100_0607_zps1b65e4e9.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Had that problem as well!

I have used a piece of circuit board cut to length and mounted on the bogie, drill for a 8ba bolt and carefully melt the nut into the bogie pivot on the floor moulding. See below.

Seems to work okay for me.

Stephen

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Much neater than mine!  I did a couple of these many years ago using Airfix bogies which fitted quite easily IIRC but are rather on the skinny side.

As a result, parts of the original mounts had been carved about. I have since revisited one of them and had to make new blocks from plasticard; I attached a pair of Bachmann bogies using damn great self tappers! :jester:

Whilst making big holes in the floor, I took the opportunity to fit Keen CCUs and cut slots in the bogies to centre them.

I would advise anyone who intends to tackle one of these vans that they are easier to work on with the chassis separated from the body.

Also, take GREAT care with the one-piece roof/glazing. It's made from a very brittle plastic and, if the edge of the roof gets chipped, it's very difficult to mend invisibly. 

Mine have SEF flushglazing with home made grilles and I understand that Shawplan have one of these vans on their Lazerglaze to-do pile.

If you decide to replace the original windows, re-read my comment about the brittle plastic at least twice and leave a 1mm lip under the roof to locate it on the body. Copydex is ideal to reattach Lima roofs; mine haven't budged in a decade but will come off if necessary. You'll regret anything permanent if a window or grille ever comes adrift.

John

• RMweb Premium

No, they are underscale and I'm pretty sure HO, otherwise the wheels wouldn't be 12mm, they would be 14mm as per the Bachmann's.  If you have any Lima Mk1s, they need new footwear too.

Alun

The bogies ARE 4mm scale but they use standard very small wheels

The additional side vents can be had in etched brass from the trade (Blacksmith Models, iirc). Unfortunately, it's the fitting of them that really shows up the over-wide Lima planking. A real pity, as the upper vents on the Lima body are very nice indeed. It might be possible to fill and rescore the planking (alternately, some received ply or sheet metal replacement panels in their latter years)

There is also a replacement trussing and underframe gubbins kit labelled Siphon G, but it really applies to the earlier, outside-frames ones. (gas tanks, original brake rigging, etc)

I tell you what, I think it's a nice looking model for what it is and Blacksmiths indeed do a complete(ish) detailing pack, but it was out of stock last time I looked.  What stopped me, is that I am told the late survivors would have lever as opposed to Dean/Churchward brakes which is what Lima replicated.  For now, a bogie swap and a respray of the roof will do.  If I go much further, Hornby will announce a new tooling.

Alun

Back to bogies...

Are the bogies under the Dapol Staniers suitable? As I understand it, these are manufactured in the UK, so Dapol might have stocks of bogies and wheels to hand - might be worth asking...

Out of my usual era of interest, but Dapol Stanier bogies are basically the ex-Airfix tooling.  I haven't got any in my possession now, but I imagine they share a common pedigree with the Bachmann (Mainline) bogies.  They might not come from as clean a mould, the Dapol is a budget product, but hey ho.  This is the best picture I could find, they are of some Airfix Stanier's that I bought for my son, which along with the subsequent Mainline versions, are probably the best Stanier rtr coaches prior to the Hornby super detail offerings.

A simple answer would be yes, I believe the Dapol's are fine for a Stanier Bogie CCT.

The bogies ARE 4mm scale but they use standard very small wheels

You can call them OO, HO or O16.5 as long as you don't mind that they are inaccurate!  I got a ruler out and the wheel centres are 32.5mm apart which makes them closer to HO than OO and the frame is too narrow.  The depth of the whole unit is about right for OO, but the main frame itself is too deep and the brake shoes fouling scale wheels just makes them wrong.  Did I notice 35 years ago?  No, but like I wrote previously, expectations have changed.

Alun

Archived