Use of CDU with DCC

banburysaint

Not normally no.

Some accessory point decoders have built in CDUs anyway. Not all though. So check if a CDU is essential.

These have CDU built in.... Team Digital SMD82, Hornby R8247 (these have one CDU shared between all outputs), DCC Concepts ADS2 or the ADS8 which have separate CDU per output. There are others of course.

Brian, thank you for the post

I am using a E-Z Commad Dynamis Point decoder 36-561 (which is an ESU switch pilot). I dont believe it has a CDU in built. I am only trying to fire one point at one time. In the instructions it states you can modify the CVs to cope with a peco motor (i am using the lower power versions). I have attempted to this however as i use a Digitrax 150 unit i cannot read back the CVs. 

Page 16 of the ESU Switchpilot manual states.....

In order to be able to read out any data you must connect a load to output 1 Out A that draws more than 60 mA, for instance a light bulb or a 180 Ohm / 1 Watt resistor.

Thanks for looking deep into the ESU manual. I have managed to change the CVs (i checked by tweaking one to give the pulse for the duration of the button press, my controller can only write CVs). I also changed the power supply from the DCc controller to a gaugemaster controller auxiliary output which i use for my turn table. And success my point now throws with a satisfactory thump! Only 15 more to go!

cheers Peter

Archived