How To Put A Frame Around Layout Front

Hi im looking to build something small about 4ft plus yards at each end,i would like to put a frame around the front and have internal lighting bit like chris nevards polbrock layout,whats the best way to achive this.

thank you   

I am building a similar layout at present. Mine has a solid-top baseboard but could just as easily be open framed. I built the baseboard then added the back and sides with corners rounded using filler (2 feet high), all glued and screwed. This made an open topped, open front box. I covered the back and sides with lining paper and painted light blue. I cut holes for the rails to leave the scene - in my case at the back as it is an oval. I have constructed some rising ground at both ends and across the back. When finished I plan to construct a frame (proscenium arch) to cover the edges of the board, sides and across the top, and a lifting top with lighting. Mine is not a lightweight layout and will not be portable (two 8' by 2' boards back-to-back) but with a bit of careful design I believe a 4 foot long layout could be built lightweight enough to be portable.

I am building a similar layout at present. Mine has a solid-top baseboard but could just as easily be open framed. I built the baseboard then added the back and sides with corners rounded using filler (2 feet high), all glued and screwed. This made an open topped, open front box. I covered the back and sides with lining paper and painted light blue. I cut holes for the rails to leave the scene - in my case at the back as it is an oval. I have constructed some rising ground at both ends and across the back. When finished I plan to construct a frame (proscenium arch) to cover the edges of the board, sides and across the top, and a lifting top with lighting. Mine is not a lightweight layout and will not be portable (two 8' by 2' boards back-to-back) but with a bit of careful design I believe a 4 foot long layout could be built lightweight enough to be portable.

Sounds very interesting I would love to see some pictures of this showing how you did it as I'm looking at an idea for a small tram layout of no more than 4ft by about 2 1/2ft and what you've done sounds ideal. Steve

• RMweb Premium

Sounds almost exactly like the board specs I had Tim Horn produce for me: https://www.flickr.com/photos/timhorn/13756083493/

See also: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86790-tim-horn-baseboards/

Tim's a member on here, drop him a line?

Hi im looking to build something small about 4ft plus yards at each end,i would like to put a frame around the front and have internal lighting bit like chris nevards polbrock layout,whats the best way to achive this.

thank you   

Hi jeff thank you for the reply some pictures would be nice has it sounds just want im after  :blum:

cheers

Here's some from a while ago just after track laying - it is On30.  These were really intended to show the track plan rather than the baseboard construction.  As previously mentioned it is not lightweight construction - half inch flooring board and 2" by 4" framing.around the outer edge, no support necessary in the middle.....

I will take some more photos of current progress with this board and the bare second half and support stand (this one is just sitting on an old kitchen table.

post-7723-0-43990700-1404218531_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-80754900-1404218573_thumb.jpg

As promised here are some more pictures showing the completed (constructed) second side standing on the 8' x 4' base with a shot underneath to show the unsupported, and thus uncluttered underside.  This second side will be back-to-back with the first side with probably Peco 0-16.5 track for a GVT layout.

Other pictures show the progress so far with the first half.  I have strengthened the outer edges of the ends with 2" x 2" and a horizontal 2" x 2" normally joins these together at the top to ensure the whole thing is square - this is removed in the photos but will obviously be re-installed prior to the front frame being fitted.  There will ultimately be a curtain to keep out the dust (house rules....)  Track is Micro Engineering Code 70 On30.  Points are rod operated with Blue Point manual switch machines.  Lighting at present is just for construction purposes.  Display lighting will need to be full length to avoid any dark corners.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

post-7723-0-99331300-1404242494_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-62338600-1404242515_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-43802600-1404242553_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-67372000-1404242572_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-25278900-1404242596_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-11816100-1404242620_thumb.jpg

Archived