Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

8 hours ago, ac1874 said:

With all that said, I'm still working out if I can move money around to afford it!

I was hoping for a DB red 90, but after the recent price hikes I've ended up buying a railfreight grey one to spray instead - it cost me almost £100 less than this 90028.

I know the buffers are the wrong type for DB on the first run railfreight grey example, but it's the easiest one to paint. 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

Well, they have taken their time (three years and hmmmm eight 90s later) but they have finally got there ... the ninth 90 and first in a EWS/DBS/DBC era livery

90028 in DB Cargo Red LOL (it would have to be Bill, wouldnt it ? LOL @Squirrel Rail @amertonman

Well, it does look great ... doesn't it ?

And for those wanting a Schenker one, or a different running number, i imagine this will be reasonably adaptable for the following:

DB Schenker 90018, 90029, 90036 and 90040

DB minus Schenker 90018, 90029, 90036 and 90040

DB Cargo (livery above) 90019 ''Multimodal'' and 90035

DB Cargo Glider livery ...''Christine'' 

Kat :-)

1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

It may have been mentioned, but I can’t find it anywhere, who makes the sound files and chips that Bachmann have used in their sound fitted models?

I have bought a previous version in RFD, and would like it to match the newer sound fitted version 

I think there are several @47606odin .. of my sound fitted 90s, I have two different ones, Zimo and legomanbiffo..

I think there others as well, as to whom Bachmann use, maybe get i'd touch with them about it

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2022 at 23:01, adb968008 said:

More importantly…

we still dont know what 32-614 is… i’m betting on an EWS or DB one.

32-614 remains a mystery, i’m guessing 32-616 is probably favourite to be another DB variant in the future… 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

32-614 remains a mystery, i’m guessing 32-616 is probably favourite to be another DB variant in the future… 

It wouldn't surprise me if they have a batch sat there waiting for release in May. I kinda suspect that the timing of the launch of this DB one may have been to get rid of some of the (many) FL liveried ones before they distracted people with a DB one, they could have announced it the November announcement with the 90s it turned up with for example.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

EWS livery with faded numbers would be my preferred choice - my guess is that 32-614 will be EWS with many variants for regional sellers

My only gripe is the eyewatering cost of this model - the non sound versions cost more than the previous sound versions!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, letterspider said:

My only gripe is the eyewatering cost of this model - the non sound versions cost more than the previous sound versions!

Can you point me to where there was a sound release of a Bachmann 90 under £230? I don't think it has ever happened.

• Funny 1

13 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Buy a 90 for £120 and stick in a £100 sound chip - e voila

Ok, so just humour me for another question. Sound chip with a file is typically more than £100 as far as I am aware, but when have you seen Bachmann 90s for £120 anyway? I got mine for £130 and I think that's the cheapest I have ever seen them!

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Ok, so just humour me for another question. Sound chip with a file is typically more than £100 as far as I am aware, but when have you seen Bachmann 90s for £120 anyway? I got mine for £130 and I think that's the cheapest I have ever seen them!

I remember at the Warley 2019 show there was a trader knocking out the Trainload Distribution grey version for £110 each...I was very tempted but held off as there wasn't many grey ones I liked that I hadn't already created using remotored/rebuilt old-gen Hornby models. If we'd had a crystal ball on the pricing then I should've just bought the whole stack for repaint fodder :lol:

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, James Makin said:

I remember at the Warley 2019 show there was a trader knocking out the Trainload Distribution grey version for £110 each...I was very tempted but held off as there wasn't many grey ones I liked that I hadn't already created using remotored/rebuilt old-gen Hornby models. If we'd had a crystal ball on the pricing then I should've just bought the whole stack for repaint fodder :lol:

i'm surprised , you are normally ahead of the game with your mountain sized pile of 37/47/60s....;)

• Funny 1

Does anyone with a new 90 know if the servo settings are the same? I got a sheet explaining CVs for programming on Lokssound with my 042 2 years ago but 028 didn't.

To answer my own question, the position settings are different.

This is what I have found to be about right:

image.png.8f2253f40c4fe81755480765b82dabcd.png

For reference my older 90:

image.png.f67aca5d1031aad41eea8af31d5d4178.png

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2022 at 08:18, 47606odin said:

It may have been mentioned, but I can’t find it anywhere, who makes the sound files and chips that Bachmann have used in their sound fitted models?

I have bought a previous version in RFD, and would like it to match the newer sound fitted version 

I picked up my factory fitted sound model on Saturday. It has a Loksound v5 fitted, but I have a few gripes with it & may end up getting a reblow from Biff:

F5 is a parking brake. It doesn't actually do anything expect prevent the loco from moving & it is set like this by the manufacturer, so if your brand new model won't budge, this will be why. It is a strange one & I do not understand the logic of it, but I don't consider this a problem.

Brake application is set to F2, which is fine, but it does not give you any braking sound.

It has 2 horns: a low & a low-high. It is missing the simultaneous blast which Biff's project has, which I rather like.

The loco will not move off until the pan is raised. I don't understand this one. It will continue to run if you lower it again though.

The earlier models contained a sheet of commands regarding how the pan is raised (lift speed, maximum height etc). This is missing. So if you have to raise the pan to move it & you have a low-ish bridge, you will need to drop the pan quick before you get there.

I can't read CV values into JMRI. I have not tried it from the handset but I was wondering if the decoder has simply been locked? I have not had a proper look through the settings for this.

I had previously heard that Bachmann factory sound was not as good as projects from 3rd parties, so I have avoided it, but will a brand new release change this trend? It seems not.

I will give it a while longer but may end up re-blowing it with Biff's project.

It is a minor blemish to what I otherwise consider to be a great model.

7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

F5 is a parking brake. It doesn't actually do anything expect prevent the loco from moving & it is set like this by the manufacturer, so if your brand new model won't budge, this will be why. It is a strange one & I do not understand the logic of it, but I don't consider this a problem.

Brake application is set to F2, which is fine, but it does not give you any braking sound.

So is F2 the driving brake (which I think is quite a useful feature for slowing a train down for a station or whatever assuming you are good enough at gauging it)? Or does F5 stop the train too?

Who's file is it, or don't you have a Lokprogrammer to have a look?

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

So is F2 the driving brake (which I think is quite a useful feature for slowing a train down for a station or whatever assuming you are good enough at gauging it)? Or does F5 stop the train too?

F2 is the driving brake. I have not had a proper play with it to find out what F5 does.

The shopkeeper pre-warned me about the parking brake & was not too impressed with the setting. He tests everything first but it wouldn't move so he had to troubleshoot the issue & ended up emailing Bachmann to find out about it.

I do have a Lokprogrammer but have not given the loco a proper interrogation yet, so have only used JMRI so far. I'll give it a bash later & get back.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TomScrut said:

F5 seems to be a parking brake only. It appears to do nothing when the loco is moving.

F2 is the active brake. I agree with you that it adds something to driving: I like a nice long coast (with idling sounds) then slow the train with the brake. I've not heard any brake application sounds from F2 yet though. That is another missed opportunity.

I have not been able to read much information from the decoder yet. Lokprogrammer claims it is not a supported decoder, so I manually set CV 15 to 16 (to ensure it is unlocked) then updated my Lokprogrammer software to the latest version, 5.1.9.

When trying to view decoder information, I did manage to get details for Manufacturer & Model, but now I get nothing, not even serial number.

I've not given up on this yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kevpeo said:

If you pop the decoder out of the loco the ESU Lokprogrammer will talk to it fine! hth Kev.

Now you mention it, I remember reading that a while back. I had completely forgotten so thanks for reminding me.

I guess I need to find a donor loco with a 21 pin connection. :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Lokprogrammer claims it is not a supported decoder, so I manually set CV 15 to 16 (to ensure it is unlocked) then updated my Lokprogrammer software to the latest version, 5.1.9.

When trying to view decoder information, I did manage to get details for Manufacturer & Model, but now I get nothing, not even serial number.

Ah yes, the 90 does not let it talk to the decoder properly. I had to chuck mine into another loco to read and program, was especially fun as I was experimenting with the CVs for the pantograph so was a lot of toing and froing.

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Ah yes, the 90 does not let it talk to the decoder properly. I had to chuck mine into another loco to read and program, was especially fun as I was experimenting with the CVs for the pantograph so was a lot of toing and froing.

It reads the decoder fine from within a Heljan 86/4. :D

There is nothing listed for Manufacturer/Project/Version details within Project.

• Like 1