Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

It’s nicely modelled , but an expensive paper weight !

I think I’d struggle not to be depressed modelling the “ current day railway “. So much good stuff that didn’t work for nearly long enough .

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

It’s nicely modelled , but an expensive paper weight !

I think I’d struggle not to be depressed modelling the “ current day railway “. So much good stuff that didn’t work for nearly long enough .

I get what you are saying ... Johnson Street IEMD is as much a diarama as it is a working layout, a little like Crewe IEMD i guess, with all those stored DB90s . 90031 is the first but not the last like this :-)

• Like 1

Recently I posed a question here about DCC chips for the 90s and thank you @andyman7 around what chip I would need to put into a 2021 EWS 90030 - the 36-569A was acquired and is now in 90031. I now find myself asking a similar question about the sound chip in from a 2021 onwards 90, can that work in one of the earlier 90s ? or if not, probably, it would go into the Bachmann Collectors club 32-616 DB90 - 90028 I imagine ?

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD

In relation to my query about Bachmann 90 sound chips from the later 90s going into earlier ones ... I queried this also with Bachmann as well, to which I received the following response, thank you Shaun:

here were some differences in the settings on the decoders from the 2021 models when compared to the decoders in the 2019 models. As a result, you can only use a 2021 decoder in a 2019 model if you were to change the settings on the decoder.

You would first need to ensure that the following CVs are set to these values:

CV 31 to a value of 16

CV 32 to a value of 0

After those CVs have been successfully changed, there are 4 further CVs that would also need to be set:

CV 362 to a value of 11

CV 366 to a value of 11

CV 367 to a value of 10

CV 368 to a value of 51

Making those CV changes would allow the 2021 decoder to be used in a 2019 model.

It’s also worth noting that if the decoder is ever reset, the CVs would revert to their default 2021 values so you would then need to change them to these values again.

• Informative/Useful 3

I have received comprehensive helpful info from Shaun Bradshaw at Bachmann. I had managed to miss that the previous answer was about sound chips, I was interested in interoperability of the silent DCC decoders. So here is the info for both:

DCC sound:

There were CV setting differences on the decoders between the 2019 and 2021 Sound Fitted models. As a result, you can only use a decoder from a Sound Fitted 2019 model in a 2021 model if you were to change the settings on the decoder.

You would first need to ensure that the following CVs are set to these values:

CV 31 to a value of 16

CV 32 to a value of 0

After those CVs have been successfully changed, there are 4 further CVs that would also need to be set:

CV 362 to a value of 14

CV 366 to a value of 14

CV 367 to a value of 22

CV 368 to a value of 47

Those CV changes should allow the decoder from the 2019 Sound Fitted model to be used in a 2021 model.

If the decoder is ever reset, the CVs would revert to their default 2019 values so you would then need to update them to these values again.

DCC silent:

There is a decoder specifically made for the 2021 Class 90 models, which is decoder 36-569A. However, 36-569 (without the A) can still be used if the following CVs are changed:

CV 162 to a value of 98

CV 163 to a value of 185

CV 165 to a value of 8

If the decoder 36-569 is reset then the CV values will go back to the default values for the 2019 version, so they will need to be changed again to these values.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 14/10/2023 at 17:33, The Meerkat said:

Hi all 

what is the best speaker to fit in the class 90 factory sound fitted,  i have the freightliner one and i cant really hear it, turn the other sounds off and you can just bout hear it same with 158 new tooled

Also worth a check with Richard Croft at Roads and Rails as he has done many tests with different speakers in different locomotives

John

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 03/12/2023 at 23:52, Johnson Street IEMD said:

My latest DB90 has landed... 90037 in DB red Glider livery ... but whilst it picks up nicely on the Gaugemaster Prodigy, it isnt being recognised by the Dynamis, rather annoyingly .. any ideas why this is happening ?

What do you mean 'picks up'? There seems to be a strange quirk with the 90s board which prevents programming the decoder (I think it won't let you read CVs). The way around this is to either put it into a different loco for programming, or use a decoder tester.

18 hours ago, james-htfc said:

Kernow have now got their exclusive DB version on offer, with the sound fitted one being just £200.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/72490/32-612ZSF-Bachmann-Class-90-1-Electric-90-129-Frachtverbindungen

Think I paid £250 for a second-hand sound fitted one so this seems like a great deal!

Thank you for drawing that to my attention. I have had a hankering for one of these for ages to join the Belgian Bachmann Collectors’ Club one. I made the mistake of mentioning it to my daughter, who asked if I needed it. In truth, I didn’t, but the itch didn’t go away and there was always something else to buy. I’ve spent my budget for the month but what the heck. I just won’t tell her; she doesn’t need to know, does she?

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Thank you for drawing that to my attention. I have had a hankering for one of these for ages to join the Belgian Bachmann Collectors’ Club one. I made the mistake of mentioning it to my daughter, who asked if I needed it. In truth, I didn’t, but the itch didn’t go away and there was always something else to buy. I’ve spent my budget for the month but what the heck. I just won’t tell her; she doesn’t need to know, does she?

Just need the Sybic one now. I think I’ll also renumber and tweak the livery on my RFD one (to 90022 I think) and get it the plates to make the set of 4 to fit in with the end of my modelling period. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Just need the Sybic one now. I think I’ll also renumber and tweak the livery on my RFD one (to 90022 I think) and get it the plates to make the set of 4 to fit in with the end of my modelling period. 

Will we ever see that livery? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Will we ever see that livery? 

Quite possibly, though I’ll be up for respraying one myself if need be.