"Electric Loop" - where in Cardiff ?

br2975

I thought I had a good grasp on local railway locations, until I took delivery of a 1971-1972 Awre / Swindon - Swansea WTT that takes in the South Wales main line.

The WTT makes reference to "Electric Loop" which is shown, in the Long Dyke Jct. /  Long Dyke Yard / Electric Loop / Newtown West / Cardiff General area.

'Electric Loop' features in both 'up' and 'down' tables, so was either on both sides of the SWML or on one side, but accessible from both roads.

I've studied my copy of the relevant R.A.Cooke booklets which makes no reference to such a location as 'Electric Loop', which I would put somewhere in the Newtown Yard / Adam St. / Tyndall Fields complex .

So, can anyone out there help and pin down the exact location of 'Electric Loop' ? 

Thrown open to the floor folks.

Brian R

Cardiff

• RMweb Premium

Was it anything to do with the former power station located on Newport Road that was demolished in 1972?

Image here 

ww.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/418146/images/CARDIFF+CORPORATION+ELECTRIC+POWER+STATION%3BROATH+POWER+STATION%2C+NEWPORT+ROAD%3BCOLCHESTER+AVENUE%2C+CARDIFF/

Only a guess as I don't really know the area that well

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

I always understood it as being on the Down Side between Long Dyke and Newtown (however there was a reversible Goods loop on the Up side which might possibly qualify?)  What I do know is that which ever one it was, according to local traincrew folk lore, so named from being one of the first bits of Goods Line/siding in the Cardiff area to be equipped with electric lighting - but that was 'folk lore' and might be no more accurate than many other examples!

Was it anything to do with the former power station located on Newport Road that was demolished in 1972?

Image here 

ww.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/418146/images/CARDIFF+CORPORATION+ELECTRIC+POWER+STATION%3BROATH+POWER+STATION%2C+NEWPORT+ROAD%3BCOLCHESTER+AVENUE%2C+CARDIFF/

Only a guess as I don't really know the area that well

Thanks for the link to the photo - hadn't seen it before.

I didn't realise how big the tram/trolley depot adjacent to the power station was until now. Looking at Newport Road I would guess it was taken between the wars.

Regards,

Dave

Brian,

As there are no mileages shown in the timing points between Pengam Sidings and the General in the WTT, I have had a look at a 75/76 Conditional WTT and the mileages (down) are as follows:

Pengam Sdgs 168 20, Pengam FLT 168 00,   Long Dyke Jn 169 27,  Long Dyke Yard 169 50, Electric Loop 169 49,  Newtown West 169 74,  Cardiff Central 170 30 - no mileages shown up direction.

Is your Section 10 complete?

Whilst looking at my copy for your query re the Rogerstone workings I have discovered that pages 165 to 172 for the Saturday up workings are missing - something I didnt expect.

Hope that gives you a location.

Phil

Thanks everyone - it appears that the 'Electric Loop' was where I suspected it would be, between Newtown East & Newtown West boxes, on the downside.

Phil - I have been using the following WR WTT's  to research 1971

Section 7 - Swindon - Swansea incl Awre - STJ and Craven Arms - Newport

Section 8 - Swansea - Milford Haven & Branches

Section 9 - Cardiff District Branch Lines.

Whilst Sec.7 covers the Newport Valleys (East & Western Valleys) it doesn't contain anything relating to those lines i.e. details of freight workings etc - which I assume would be in freight/trip booklets.

Sec. 8 is similarly bare in respect of Swansea area freight workings.

Sec.9 on the other hand is very detailed as far as freight and passenger workings in the Cardiff Valleys are concerned.

As I've still got my spotting notes from 1971 onwards, these WTT's are very handy and interesting for me; but I'm always on the look out for anything else for 1971-1972 e.g. Weekly Notices etc.

Thanks again chaps.

Brian R

Thanks everyone - it appears that the 'Electric Loop' was where I suspected it would be, between Newtown East & Newtown West boxes, on the downside.

Phil - I have been using the following WR WTT's  to research 1971

Section 7 - Swindon - Swansea incl Awre - STJ and Craven Arms - Newport

Section 8 - Swansea - Milford Haven & Branches

Section 9 - Cardiff District Branch Lines.

Whilst Sec.7 covers the Newport Valleys (East & Western Valleys) it doesn't contain anything relating to those lines i.e. details of freight workings etc - which I assume would be in freight/trip booklets.

Sec. 8 is similarly bare in respect of Swansea area freight workings.

Sec.9 on the other hand is very detailed as far as freight and passenger workings in the Cardiff Valleys are concerned.

As I've still got my spotting notes from 1971 onwards, these WTT's are very handy and interesting for me; but I'm always on the look out for anything else for 1971-1972 e.g. Weekly Notices etc.

Thanks again chaps.

Brian R

In 1971, most freight services around Swansea and west thereof were covered by a separate volume, which I think was entitled something like 'Class 9 and Conditional Workings'. I had a virtually new copy about then, but it disappeared when my shed at my parents' house fell down. By then it was a pale shadow, with many empty columns.

Off at a tangent, for which I am sorry, but can anyone tell me the best site/shop/group from which to obtain WTT's - I am specifically after a BR SE Division one (covering Sittingbourne-Sheerness) from the early 1980's? I am in France and therefore cannot get to swapmeets or shows in Britain, unless by luck.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Off at a tangent, for which I am sorry, but can anyone tell me the best site/shop/group from which to obtain WTT's - I am specifically after a BR SE Division one (covering Sittingbourne-Sheerness) from the early 1980's? I am in France and therefore cannot get to swapmeets or shows in Britain, unless by luck.

Thanks in advance.

If you are looking to buy this seems as good a site as any with fairly realistic prices

http://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/wtt/appendix.php

I didn't realise how big the tram/trolley depot adjacent to the power station was until now. Looking at Newport Road I would guess it was taken between the wars.

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/418146/images/CARDIFF+CORPORATION+ELECTRIC+POWER+STATION%3BROATH+POWER+STATION%2C+NEWPORT+ROAD%3BCOLCHESTER+AVENUE%2C+CARDIFF/

Dave

The power station was also owned by Cardiff Corporation - and employed a 4wheeled electric loco, IIRC built by Baguley.

I seem to recall it was scrapped in the early 60s by Western Metals of Ferry Road (next to Bill Way, and near the former gas works), they also scrapped Cardiff Corporation's other loco - a Greenwood & Batley battery loco which shunted the former Glamorganshire Canal Railway alongside Dumballs Road.

40yrs ago this week, my first week with South Glamorgan Highways & General Engineering saw me cleaning out a (walk-in) safe c*m strong room in the City Hall, which contained mountains of old drawings many tinted with water colour. This includedplans and elevations of the Roath Tram Depot - I was told to bin them all, and whilst I kept quite a bit, like 1:500 plans of the Cardiff tramway routes, my mother wouldn't have put up with the other drawings such as the tram depot etc.

I still have the 1:500 plans and get them out every so often, remind me, and I may bring them along one Monday.......

Brian R

Archived