Barrow Hill Live 2014

Hello All,

Just a quick note to let you know that advance tickets are now on sale for Barrow Hill Live on 27/28th September. Once again, this unique event brings together model and full size railways in Britain's only operational roundhouse.

As a long-time Barrow Hill supporter, I'm just a bit biased, but I always really enjoy this show. Being amongst the full size locomotives is always a treat and there will be several new and visiting exhibits to enjoy this year; highlights will include new-build A1 No. 60163 Tornado and LNWR 'Coal Tank' 0-6-2T No. 1050 in steam on the free train rides, alongside industrials Peckett No. 2000, Nunlow and Vulcan (all subject to availability).

Static exhibits include the lovely Midland Compound No. 1000, which recently arrived at BH on long term loan, plus Roundhouse regulars: A2 60532 Blue Peter, Butler-Henderson, the LNER J17 and another recent arrival, GWR 'Large Prairie' No. 5164.  The Roundhouse’s extensive collection of diesel and electric locomotives will also be on display. Further additions to the line up will be announced in the run up to the event, including some exciting visitors from the modern railway - if all goes to plan!

On the model railway side, we'll have excellent trade support plus more than a dozen quality layouts:

Clee Valley Railway – 09 An unusual scale gauge combination being 7mm/ft running on 9mm track representing a miniature 15 inch gauge railway.  The layout portrays a typical 15 inch gauge tourist attraction of which there are 38 in the UK.  It is not based on any particular railway although visitors who have been to the Bure Valley Railway in Norfolk might see a resemblance to the station at Hoveton (Wroxham); or wonder about Stokesay in Shropshire.

Duke Street – OO Duke Street is probably the largest Hornby Dublo two-rail lay-out on the exhibition circuit.  It shows a full selection of Hornby Dublo 2 rail steam and diesel locomotives with possibly a few Wrenn locomotives. There is as complete range of goods wagons and carriages of the super detailed series and also all the later plastic buildings from the Hornby range plus other period accessories from other companies such as Merit and Crescent. Also on the lay-out are some Dublo Dinkey vehicles, which were specially designed to go with the railway system. These all date from 1958 until 1964, when Meccano/Hornby went liquidation and was taken over by Triang.

Edgeworth – OO Edgeworth is a BRM 'Project Layout'. The GWR branch line will be operated by BRM's Phil Parker who will be hands on to answer any questions.

Eisengebrau – HO Eisengebrau is a fictitious place in former Prussia around 1910.  The main aim is entertainment rather than 100% accuracy. The name is a horribly rough translation of that famous drink made in Scotland from girders!

Forthtal Schmalspurbahn HO Forthtal Schmalspurbahn is a depiction of the many German and Austrian narrow gauge railways that many people will have encountered on their holidays.  The detail in the locomotive models and the bridge will appeal to modellers while the wooded scenery, Faller car system and tourist atmosphere will appeal to casual visitors.  the layout is operated from both the front and back so that operators are always ‘out front’ and visitors questions are welcomed.

Foston Mills – O The layout shows a possible branch of the North Holderness Light Railway Railway from North Frodingham to Foston-on-the-Wolds to a brewery, and a large flour mill. The location and most of the buildings still exist; however, the mill had to be reconstructed using an invoice drawing, a nineteenth century floor plan for an insurance valuation and a 1910 photograph of the ruins after a catastrophic fire some ten years earlier. Other buildings have been added to the mill complex assuming the fire didn’t happen, the brewery didn’t close and the railway arrived! See September issue of BRM for a feature on this layout.

Hampton End – G Hampton End is a small branch line link serving a small village (Hampton End).  Most of the freight that used the line was fish from quayside.  After the closure of the line, a group of local rail enthusiasts reinstated the tracks and buildings and purchased a few foreign engines and stock and most weekends trains can be seen running.

Maloja HOm Maloja is a village near St. Moritz in Eastern Switzerland and is situated on one of the “planned but never built” Rhätische Bahn extensions, which would have extended to the border at Castesegna or even into Italy. It would have been quite spectacular having to descend the Maloja pass.

Newlands Farm – Gn15 Newland’s Farm is built in a fairly unusual scale – Gn15 – and represents a subject not often modelled, that of a narrow gauge agricultural railway. These were not unusual in the days before tractors were common on large farms and estates

Oldham King Street Parcels – O The layout features O gauge diesels with sand and smoke.  DCC control allows maximum use of these features in a compact space.

Orestone Quay – OO The layout was built by the late John Lewis and depicts a fictitious harbour location ‘somewhere’ in Southern England in 1947. Short trains only can be accommodated which arrive from the fiddle yard to be shunted by the privately owned quay engines to the various sidings or marshalled into trains ready to depart.

Stodmarsh During WW2 – O This layout is based on a proposed but never completed, extension to the East Kent Railway. Owned by Colonel Stephens, the proposed line would have run from Wingham to Canterbury West via Stodmarsh, a distance of 7½  miles. Construction began at Wingham in 1919 but in 1931, owing to the General Strike, followed by the depression and the ultimately death of the Colonel, work on the line was cancelled

Turners Folly – OO This layout runs Digital Command Control (DCC) with all round viewing of two continuous tracks, a large station and street scene followed by countryside leading to large marshalling yard with further scenics and models. The idea of the folly is to demonstrate the simplicity of DCC together with the benefits of train speed control, sound and lights. There is also the opportunity to watch working automatic sequential signals.

In addition, the following Demonstrators confirmed to attend the event so far are:

Paul Lunn – running a layout design clinic.

David Wright – the construction of model buildings for a miniature landscape.

Waveney Valley O Gauge Group (Rob Bishop, Jon Gardner, Paul Slade and Robin Arkinstall) – running a series of workshops including:

• Etched brass kit construction locos, wagons, coaches, etc.
  • A shuttle track with a display of completed locos and rolling stock plus DCC demonstration.
  • Soldering demonstrations.
  • Demonstration of American diesel and electric loco construction.

More layouts and demonstrators will be confirmed in the run up to the event.

Other highlights of the event include:

• Free steam train and brake van rides.
  • Explore Barrow Hill - Britain’s last operational Roundhouse.
  • Free parking
  • Free bus from Chesterfield Station
  • Excellent on-site catering.
  • A free showguide.

The event is open from 1000-1700 on Saturday 28th September and 1000-1630 on Sunday 29th September.  However, those holding advance tickets will be able to enter the show at 0930 each day. 

Last, but by no means least, we're also delighted to be working with East Midlands Trains and Network Rail again to provide a regular DMU shuttle service from Chesterfield right into the heart of the event. If you've never used these trains before, it's a novel experience and a great way to get to and from the show.

For more information about Barrow Hill Live, the EMT shuttle trains and to book your tickets see: www.model-railways-live.co.uk

I look forward to seeing you there!

Ben

Benpost-22012-0-27941300-1405423009_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hi all,

Who's visiting Barrow Hill Live this weekend?

The BRM team will be there. We'll be selling the latest issue of the magazine plus the new 'BRM Guide to Trackplans & Layout Design' Book. We'll also have a great subscription offer available. 

Plus, Phil Parker will be in attendance with the BRM Project Layout 'Edgeworth'.

For more information about this great show, visit: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Exhibitions/-9/Barrow_Hill_Live_/

• RMweb Premium

Very dissapointing selection, would have considered going if there was even a single N gauge layout attending. I can't remember the last show (large or small) that overlooked N gauge altogether.

Poor show I'm afraid... especially as there are multiples in other scales/gauges.

Also a reminder that the show has been organised with The Little Midland Society (My local Model Railway Club of which I'm a member!)

And some of the members hopefully including myself will be helping out with providing barriers for the front of layouts and other stuff including stewarding!

Sam

• Administrators

If you're visiting Barrow Hill Live this weekend, here's what you can expect to find on the BRM stand (apart from Ben Jones, Phil Parker and me!):

Free Gaugemaster Controller if you subscribe at the show

post-14186-0-45106900-1411554420_thumb.jpg

The new 'BRM Guide to Trackplans & Layout Design' Book - just £5.99. If you want a copy, be quick as we sold out very quickly at RMweb Live!

post-14186-0-05669100-1411554474_thumb.jpg

BRM October - The RMweb issue

post-14186-0-44331000-1411554492_thumb.jpg

We'll also be selling some back issues cheap, plus a some books from as little as just £1 each!

See you there.

For more information on this show, click here: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Exhibitions/-9/Barrow_Hill_Live_/

Also a reminder that the show has been organised with The Little Midland Society (My local Model Railway Club of which I'm a member!)

And some of the members hopefully including myself will be helping out with providing barriers for the front of layouts and other stuff including stewarding!

Sam

That doesn't quite fit with the story i'm getting from some other members of the LMS...

To be honest Steve it's not always possible to get a representative balance of layouts or if you have and one drops out you can be left with an imbalance.

Andy,

I absolutely understand that sometimes layouts drop out, but for a major exhibition like this, surely BRM had some backups available?? If not why no questions being asked on RMWeb for an N Gauge layout to appear last minute. There are quite a few layouts around that would probably have helped out, and that are small enough to be bought up in the back of a car. I could name 2 or 3 straight off.

It seems to me as if BRM are not quite supporting N Gauge in the way they should be, after all N Gauge is a rapidly growing part of the Model Railway community. I'm going to draw the attention to the dates for RMWeb Live, the same weekend as The International N Gauge Show which was only 16 miles away, surely someone within BRM/RMWeb could have done some research to look at clashes within the area, before starting a new Exhibition, regardless of it's aims.

Regards

Neal.

It seems to me as if BRM are not quite supporting N Gauge in the way they should be, after all N Gauge is a rapidly growing part of the Model Railway community. I'm going to draw the attention to the dates for RMWeb Live, the same weekend as The International N Gauge Show which was only 16 miles away, surely someone within BRM/RMWeb could have done some research to look at clashes within the area, before starting a new Exhibition, regardless of it's aims.

Believe me when I say we try to ensure N Gauge gets fair representation in the mag although I don't see that N Gauge is growing any more than the rest of the hobby (my personal estimate based on reasonable data is that it's about 17-18% of the marketplace but this commercial consideration is often overlooked when I see people shouting for something to be done in N).

It has been well covered that the reasons for the date for Coventry were to do with venue availability but we did have good quality N gauge presence at the event (offered by the owners of the layouts). TINGS is aimed at N gaugers and Coventry had a broader market so I don't really see the point of it being brought up other than to try and support a misconception that we overlook N gauge.

Believe me when I say we try to ensure N Gauge gets fair representation in the mag although I don't see that N Gauge is growing any more than the rest of the hobby (my personal estimate based on reasonable data is that it's about 17-18% of the marketplace but this commercial consideration is often overlooked when I see people shouting for something to be done in N).

It has been well covered that the reasons for the date for Coventry were to do with venue availability but we did have good quality N gauge presence at the event (offered by the owners of the layouts). TINGS is aimed at N gaugers and Coventry had a broader market so I don't really see the point of it being brought up other than to try and support a misconception that we overlook N gauge.

Andy,

So I'm led to believe that according to Bachmanns figures, N Gauge now accounts for roughly 30% of their sales, which doesn't equate to your, admittedly personal, data of 17-18%.

But we're not talking about the BRM magazine in this thread, we're talking about BRM's organisation of a major exhibition, and your reply to another post in this thread which said "To be honest Steve it's not always possible to get a representative balance of layouts or if you have and one drops out you can be left with an imbalance."  I absolutely agree with this statement but it seems as if BRM have just shrugged their shoulders and made no effort to source another N Gauge layout to fill the space where an N Gauge layout was going to be.

The reason for bringing up the RMWeb Live dates are to show that, in my humble opinion, again no effort was made to see what was going on in the area, I have no doubt that the layouts you had at RMWeb Live were of a good quality, for example Vale of Oxbury, probably one of the best N Gauge layouts on the circuit, but that's not the point, I understand that you are tied by availability of the venue but surely out of the other 16 weekends between the show date and the end of the year, at least one weekend was available, when the dates didn't clash with 3 other major exhibitions. Ok take out 1 of those weekends for Warley, which makes it 15. I'm not saying that you'd be able to pick a completely free weekend without clashing with some Clubs exhibition, I'm talking major shows here like TINGS, Expo-EM North, Steam Swindon.

Regards

Neal.

But we're not talking about the BRM magazine in this thread, ........................ it seems as if BRM have just shrugged their shoulders and made no effort to source another N Gauge layout to fill the space where an N Gauge layout was going to be.

Perhaps it would be helpful then to refer to Warner's exhibition department then than say that BRM (which is the magazine) doesn't support N Gauge. You say 'it seems' but you have no first-hand knowledge of what someone has tried to do just because they didn't pick up the phone to someone you may know.

I tried to offer a reasonable explanation and didn't expect to enter into an argument backed up by made-up assumptions.

You know I get on with you as a person so I can't understand why, not for the first time, you make someone (or an organisation) out to be the villain of the piece when it's wholly without substance.

But to answer the question on venue availability; there was no other date available for the venue before the end of the year (when we also had staff available) or even into next year so it was a case of do it or do without.

• RMweb Premium

We would normally come by car and stay overnight due to length of journey.

Due to other commitments we are unable to do that this year so are considering coming by train for the day. :O

However, this would give us limited time at the Show and we need to know departure times for the Shuttle/Coach runs to and from Chesterfield to work out if the journey would be feasible.  We would like more than an hour there.

We can't find any times of running on any of the websites.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Apologies Andy. We're updating the site as we speak. Prices are:

£13 for adults

£7 for children

£33 for a family (2 x adults/3 children)

Steve

Hi Steve, can you confirm if the payment on the gate is cash only? - I have been to similar events at Barrow Hill in the past and have had to drive to Morrissons for a cash machine!

Perhaps it would be helpful then to refer to Warner's exhibition department then than say that BRM (which is the magazine) doesn't support N Gauge. You say 'it seems' but you have no first-hand knowledge of what someone has tried to do just because they didn't pick up the phone to someone you may know.

I tried to offer a reasonable explanation and didn't expect to enter into an argument backed up by made-up assumptions.

You know I get on with you as a person so I can't understand why, not for the first time, you make someone (or an organisation) out to be the villain of the piece when it's wholly without substance.

But to answer the question on venue availability; there was no other date available for the venue before the end of the year (when we also had staff available) or even into next year so it was a case of do it or do without.

Ok mate, I have no beef with you at all and as you quite rightly said it's Warners Exhibition Dept. that are organising the show and not BRM, but the Advertising does state Warners and BRM and but the link is by association.

I think it's just the disappointment that for a major show there is no N Gauge presence at all, although when 'the other lot' ;)  ;)  organised it, they did the same thing and did not include any N in the first event, but rectified it the next year. So I hope that by us N Gaugers raising our disappointment that the powers that be at Warners get to hear of our disappointment and sort it out for next years event.

As far as RMWeb Live is concerned, let's leave it there.

All the Best

Neal.

We would normally come by car and stay overnight due to length of journey.

Due to other commitments we are unable to do that this year so are considering coming by train for the day. :O

However, this would give us limited time at the Show and we need to know departure times for the Shuttle/Coach runs to and from Chesterfield to work out if the journey would be feasible.  We would like more than an hour there.

We can't find any times of running on any of the websites.

Can anyone help?

Hi Steve, can you confirm if the payment on the gate is cash only? - I have been to similar events at Barrow Hill in the past and have had to drive to Morrissons for a cash machine!

Response as follows from our exhibitions dept:

A free shuttle bus will be running continuously on Saturday and Sunday between Chesterfield Station and Barrow Hill car parks. Please use the coaches for the station and mini buses for the cark parks. They will be operating from 9am until 5pm.

We will be taking card payments on the gate.

The paperwork I got with my shuttle train ticket shows the following:

Saturday

Train ex Chesterfield; 0955, 1055, 1203, 1259, 1455, 1605: Train ex Barrow Hill; 1014, 1114, 1223, 1418, 1516, 1630.

Bus ex Chesterfield; 0855, 0925 then at 25 mins past each hour until 1625: Bus ex Barrow Hill; 0955, hourly at 55 mins past each hour until 1555, 1700, 1725.

Sunday

Train ex Chesterfield; 0955, 1055, 1155, 1255, 1455, 1559: Train ex Barrow Hill; 1019, 1114, 1214, 1414, 1517, 1618.

Bus ex Chesterfield; 0855, 0925 then at 25 mins past each hour until 1625: Bus ex Barrow Hill; 0955, hourly at 55 mins past each hour until 1555, 1700, 1725.

Possibly not in line with the OP but a comment I'd like to make as there does seem to be quite a few comments about the scheduling of dates for large exhibitions and in particular RMWeb live.

There are by European standards a relatively small number of large exhibition venues within the UK. As an aside For those of you who might think that the National Exhibition Centre near Birmingham is a large and expansive facility, you might be surprised to hear that by European standards it is one of the smaller exhibition centres, when compared to the likes of Geneva, The RAI in Amsterdam or the Messe in Hanover. It should also be mentioned that due in part to the fact that the UK transport system is still rooted in Victorian notions, many large exhibition facilities aren't well placed next to public transport (You try getting a bus to the National Motorcycle Museum?).

However back to my point. Importantly The UK's large exhibition venues primarily chase "Corporate" events. A bit like Hotels and Holiday lets. The corporate exhibition/conference industry has very predictable seasons and as a consequence venues tend to charge accordingly. Ironically low season are the school holidays. And don't think weekends are cheaper either. More often as not Corporate clients like to "Build" over the weekend in preparation for their employee's arriving for that all important conference Monday morning.

So choice of dates become further limited when you are looking for a venue capable of handling more than a few thousand square feet of visitor space. Not only are you not trying to clash with anything of a similar interest. You then have to find a venue that will suit the catchment and travel logistics of your target audience, but also meet a set of commercial deliverables in terms of price and services offered. In the UK venue finding is hard work and there are companies out there who specialise in purely that.

That certain members of this forum have derived a notion that Andy and his colleagues somehow sat down in a the pub one afternoon and over a pint or two said "I know! lets have it at the Ricoh and lets have it on 14th of September" shows a certain lack of understanding and thought. I have not been privy to any of the decisions made in the organisation of RMWeb live, but as someone who makes his living within the Live events industry I can assure that sourcing and booking a venue is possibly more stressful than buying a house.

I will also agree with Andy's remark about people making assumptions of what has or hasn't been done by organisers when it comes to arranging the details of an exhibition. it is very easy to sit on the sidelines and ask "Why isn't there this" or "Why isn't there that". But the realities of putting together a public event are far from simple and both time and labour intensive and unless you are one of those at the "Coal face" then you have little information with which to bring into question the remarks of those that are.

• RMweb Premium

The paperwork I got with my shuttle train ticket shows the following:

Saturday

Train ex Chesterfield; 0955, 1055, 1203, 1259, 1455, 1605: Train ex Barrow Hill; 1014, 1114, 1223, 1418, 1516, 1630.

Sunday

Train ex Chesterfield; 0955, 1055, 1155, 1255, 1455, 1559: Train ex Barrow Hill; 1019, 1114, 1214, 1414, 1517, 1618.

Caradoc, that's most helpful.  Many thanks.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Had a very pleasant time yesterday at Barrow Hill, took George to give SWMBO a break whilst she got the food etc ready for his birthday party later that day. It was a bit quiet, but for such a large venue it's difficult to say. I did get into the first overspill car park though. The last time I went I was about a mile up the road!

Here's a few snaps from the day

post-6717-0-94369100-1411986514_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-98523600-1411986568_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-24482900-1411986634_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-04479700-1411986671_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-50225300-1411986708_thumb.jpg

post-6717-0-76623600-1411986742_thumb.jpg

Good to see the team (Ben, Phil and Sam) and was glad the sun was shining :)

Archived