Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sheffield Grimesthorpe Railfreight Depot

Hi,

New member here.

I am thinking about making a 1980s shunting layout based on the railfreight depot that used to be at Grimesthorpe in Sheffield, but I am stuggling to find any images of the depot. there are a few on Paul Bartletts site, but do not show much detail as the imes are of freight stock.

Please can anybody point me in the direction of any webites or books that may contain any images?

Many thanks for looking

Marcus

There are photos of this depot when new in the NRM Liverpool Street photo collection. They are not digitised but you can view them on request, and take photos of the photos for your research, if you want copies they are expensive....trust me I know! You would have to look in the Liverpool Street collection files at the NRM then order the boxes of prints you want to look at, its a long winded process but may come up trumps for you.

I looked at them all a few months back and may be able to give you pointers as to which boxes to order if you are interested in viewing them.

I've seen that, pretty sure it showed the inside of the depot shed, but I can't remember what it was called or find it for the life of me. I don't think it was in part of the Engines must not enter the Potato sidings series, but they are worth a watch anyway

Many thanks guys,

I've not had time to watch the videos yet (We have really rubbish broadband in rural herefordshire so have to watch any videos early in the morning)

87023. That appears to be the only image on the web, apart from the ones of rolling stock on Pauls site.

Paul, are there anymore images in your archives of the depot at all?

Again, thanks all

Marcus

I've been doing some more digging and I think it may have been in either:

Sheffield - Engines Must Not Enter the Potato Siding (1969/b&w/sound)

or

Containerisation - Engines Must Not Enter the Potato Siding (1969/b&w/sound)

from this page, http://www.bbc.co.uk/nationonfilm/location/north/, however the inks are dead and I can't find them elsewhere on the web

Hmm, seems the links aren't dead, but the site does not recognise newer Windows Media Player versions so I had to install Realplayer.

Its not the Containerisation one and the Sheffield one is included in the longer Potato Siding one on Youtube I linked to above.

THIS is the one I was thinking of http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/9445-freight-and-a-city-sheffield-1966/ !

Freight And A City (1966)
21 minutes - Colour
The City of Sheffield is renewing itself, but until recently Sheffield's railway network exemplified the confusion and inefficiency created by competitive railway expansion in Victorian times. Now British Railways has swept away the small depots and the conflicting lines, and has centralised its goods operations in a new Freight Terminal, a Diesel Maintenance Depot, and one of the most modern Marshalling Yards in Europe, thus providing freight services fit for Sheffield's needs.

16mm & 35mm

Edited by Talltim

Brilliant! Thanks for that.

Just wathched it on a popular video streaming site. Very good indeed.

It makes you realise how much we have lost in the last 40 years.

My dad used to take me up to Tinsley on a saturday in the late 70s/ early 80s to watch the shunting taking place. then we'd have a walk along the bank behind the depot to cop the then new 56s.

It seems weird driving up the M1 now. By habit I still always look over to see whats on shed. It only seems like yesterday when there was line upon line of 20s parked up.

It's enough to bring a tear to the eye.....

I think this is one the Paul is thinking of, but not the one I was.

Thanks for posting that, it wasn't the one I was thinking of although it is a useful reminder as I have been wanting to post a link to it on the Dapol SR brake van thread, but don't keep records of such items I see. Nice SR Borail as well!

It was the one Tinsley Snail posted I was thinking of. That must be virtually every Coil D in existence!

Sorry, no idea about photos at Grimesthorpe, I'm not aware I have any photos at such a place. I do have ones at Sheffield Full Loads dotted about - a very quick visit on a Sunday morning, Goodness knows how I came to be passing it - We'd done a Derby open day and a party overnighter at Keith Parkins and the yard was open for some maintenance - but I was told to be quick as they were closing in "ten minutes". Photos include the rare dropside conversion

Paul

• 3 years later...

There is a film on Youtube of a train being prepared in the Sheffield area, and I think it involves the full loads depot. Should be findable via Google.

Paul Bartlett

This superb video is called "Third Rail Report", nothing to with emus(!), the main star being D8056 sparkling new (with sound much dubbed down!), it ventures onto the GCR Meadowhall-Birdwell stretch at one point, and picks up other stock at various points.Highly recommended viewing Imo. There's some nice shots of an ex-SR brake van.too.