GNSR/LNER Brake Van brass etch kit

1ngram

Having made me a sheet of GNSR Brake Vans in H0 George Mitcheson has made the same in 4mm, initially for some P4 modellers here in the NE of Scotland, but to be made available to anyone else interested in this scale.

The wagon is the GNSR Diagram 20S 18' body, 12' wheelbase, wooden underframe goods brake, built 1895-1919 with ducket each side at one end and dog-box door at the other end.  GNSR numbers 1-64.  LNER numbers in the 804201 series.  From GNSR drawing CT63.  Photo of 804235 in LNER livery on page 169 of Tatlow's  LNER Wagons Vol 3.  There are no known photos of any of these brakes in GNSR livery though we would all very much like to hear of one.

The etch is likely to cost £15.00 and will include a body etch and a chassis which includes W-Irons which can be left rigid or compensated.  There is also a sheet of instructions.  The buyer needs to supply axle springs, buffers, roof, handrail wire, wheels and couplings.

More information and a photo (of the part built HO version) can be found on the pre-grouping thread of RMweb here:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87865-gnsrlner-goods-van-in-4mm-etch/

If you are interested in one or more of these please contact me kennclark@btinternet.com

Ken Clark

As far as I know no one makes specifically GNSR axleboxes in 4mm but there are plenty of alternatives made by MJT or Wizard.  The same is true for GNSR buffers but in at least one photo in Tatlow the van can be seen with plain flangeless buffers in LNER days so there is bound to be a MJT or Wizard set that would fit.

Hi, 

The GNSR buffers, in 4 mm scale,  are to say the least difficult! And that applies to the coach buffers (especially the bogie coaches, which are very similar) as well.

They both have a rectangular base, with 4 diagonal ribs running out from the centre casting the the fixing bolts. 

The nearest I think, and will be delighted to be proved wrong, are the 51L ones ref. number NERCO21; the diagonal ribs are too long really, but 4 rib buffers are unusual. They have steel heads so are not cheap - £2.40 for 4 + post.  These buffers are NER post 1918, and may also be a bit short.

Finally 'Furness models' make a 7mm version, with the ref. number of FRWC67  weblink (http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/furness)

I am interested in them as well.

Yours Peter.

Here is the brake van etch etc. put together.  George is expecting the 4mm sheets in a matter of days.  At that point I will post availability and cost here as well as his contact details for anyone wishing one.  He has orders for about two sheets of etches and once those are sold off it is unlikely he will ever do any more.  So if you want one get it now.

post-3983-0-28030300-1406714862_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Another photo of the goods Guard's van is in the book 'Great North of Scotland Railway Album: (1980 edition - thus the second edition) it is in LNER colours, but is fairly clear - its on page 81 and is taken from the non ducket end.

It has GNSR buffers (with webs on the buffer casing) and has J hangered springs which may be about 7 planks long; springs and short J hangers are available from Wizard/51L models. I think the NER

post 1918, with some filing of the axleboxes, to a vertical rectangular shape and add the bolts back, are then close, add the short J hangers (from I think the Midland Railway sets.

I have ordered a etch.

Yours Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

These brass etch kits, body and chassis but no wheels or axleboxes,, are available now from George Mitcheson - georgemitcheson@aol.com - for £14.00 each plus £1.00 postage in 4mm scale.  Construction instructions are included.

• 1 year later...

I have attached a link to my Gallery which has photos of the 7mm version of the Brake van in both painted and unpainted state. I was talking with Keith Fenwick over the colour of the brake van as some sources say it should be Grey and others state dark red. I'm just about start building two more for a client who wants one in red and one in grey.

Marc

Nice job. What castings did you use?

Brass etch from George Mitcheson inc chassis (see earlier posts for his email address).  He has done them in 3.5mm, 4mm and the 3mm Society has asked for a batch from him recently.  The photo is of my 3.5mm verrsion.  The GNSRA has the first (small)  batch of 4mm etches (still a couple left, I think) - they come 4 to a sheet, I think, and George is willing to make more if there is any demand in that scale.  MIne will be appearing at the Aberdeen Show soon..

Just an aside, I put mine together on Sunday night as I was looking for a little fill-in job. I'll be seeing Andrew Hartshorne at Spalding so I can pick up the castings then. Took under 2 hours and it's made up into a nice little vehicle. I'll post a photo sometime this week.

As promised, here's where I got to with this on Sunday night:

GNS_BV_4_zpsbejudyrq.jpg

Less than two hours to a rolling chassis and a body perched on top. This evening I've added pretty much the rest of the etch and made up handrails.

GNS_BV_1_zpscjtapbnk.jpg

GNS_BV_2_zpsgps8pbom.jpg

GNS_BV_3_zpsy4aoxtf8.jpg

Other than cleaning up and straightening that ducket, this will now have to wait until after Spalding show. I have to say it makes up very nicely, credit to the designer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived