Lancashire Steel Manufacturing Tippler Wagon photograph

rope runner

Hi All, 

Bachmann are due to release their 27 ton tippler in October, in the livery below:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/37-280.jpg&cat_no=37-280&info=0&width=650&height=412

However, I have searched the internet and have drawn a blank as to a decent quality prototype photograph of this livery combination.

Does anyone have a picture of the prototype they can post/PM me please? 

Many thanks in advance.

Paul A. 

They are, for sure, elusive beasts.

I've posted this link before but you may not have seen it Paul.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnneave/3962190245/

Two, more vague, references;

There is also a photo in one of the old Bradford Barton albums, 'Steam in the Peak District' (something like that) showing a Crab at the head if a train of them on their way to Irlam. I also seem to recall a photo of a train of them behind a Stanier 8F, passing through one of the CLC stations close to Irlam, in an issue of Backtrack.

The Lancashire Steel Corporation themselves, certainly post WWII, didn't do much in the way of prompotional materials. Having worked there, it's one company I've particularly sought info on and there's not that much about.

Paul

Alas these appear to be as equally camera shy as the ICI POO's that were working to Cadishead from ICI Wallerscote!

Mark

I just can't believe that no-one has commented on the camera-shy ICI POO. There must be a brick out-houseful of puns and mirth on that subject.

If only they had made Carry On Trainspotting.

• 7 years later...

I'll just resurrect this thread which I came across whilst looking for info on the Lancashire Steel tipplers, but I can help a little with the subsidiary question of the ICI POOs

In the book 'Coasters of the Manchester Ship Canal' these feature in two photos, both in colour.

The book is by Bernard McCall and it's rather good if you like small cargo ships and/or the MSC.

The first one is at Northwich, a photo by the author dated 19 April 1980. Here's a heavy crop showing the POOs in the background:

ICI_POO.jpg.915ec8358edd62b5daf788911b7974bc.jpg

The second one is at Partington basin, on the northern (Cadishead) side, a photo by John Slavin dated 1 February 1980, and again here is a heavily cropped version:

ICI_POO_Partington.jpg.a0b39c7a36067f37f3830026a547f64b.jpg

If you look under the gantry you can see two parallel rakes of loaded wagons waiting their turn to be gravitated down onto the tipper. They would then be lifted up and end-tipped into the ship via the chute which has some canvas hanging off it.

The now-empty wagons would then gravitate back across the gantry to join the rake visible top right. Note that the sheets remained in place.

Hope that was of interest. Did anyone find any more views of the LSC tipplers? I've got my hands on an old ABS kit for the BR diagram 183/184 tippler (long wheelbase, roller bearing) which would provide a good starting point for an LSC Tippler.

Were they vacuum fitted from new? They were later:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lancswagon

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

A good find the Soda Ash POO’s .

The Lancashire Steel tipplers were always vacuum fitted from new is in effect a copy of the BR one!

The early tipplers are covered in another topic on here.

Great, many thanks Mark. I'm sure I can find some suitable clasp brake gear and Oleo buffers in the bits box and build up the kit as an LSC example which will suit my Irlam-based layout.

Is there any record of the numbers carried by these tipplers when in LSC ownership/usage in the 1960s? I assume these would have been different from the later LW250xx numbers carried in the TOPS era.

The 00 and N gauge models carry the number 15 but I'm always wary of making a model of a model.

LSC had a huge fleet of earlier wagons and the numbers went over 1000 (e.g. 1232 on a photograph of an earlier 20t tippler)  so 15 seems unlikely to me unless a new series was begun just for these wagons.

There is a very small (50mm x 30mm) image of a 27T tippler - "No 15" no less, to be found in Model Railway News March 1966, vol. 42, No. 495, pp 134.

The image accompanied an article by S A Leleux on ironstone railways, and was taken at Desborough.  Sydney Leleux is still active within the HMRS, so it might be worth an enquiry through them to see if there is any further information available.  There are no images of the 27T tipplers listed in the HMRS photo archive.

Regards

TMc

20/01/2022

• Thanks 1

Wonderful, many thanks Mark!

It's also good to see a photo of both types together and what the loads looked like. It appears that they are coupled to a 16t mineral (might be an LMS ore wagon?)

The RTR models in 4mm scale are a very dark grey, I think. Looking at the photo above, I wonder if that is correct. We may never know!

Cheers,

Mol

• 5 weeks later...

In the chapter by Keith Turton about Partington/Irlam/Lancashire Steel Corporation, he mentions:

"Stableford Ltd, of Coalville, built twenty-five all-steel iron ore hopper wagons in 1923. They were numbered 1973-1997 and were registered by the LNE-C."

At that date they would have been built for the Partington Steel&Iron Co, which was later merged into Lancashire Steel Corporation.

These 25 steel-bodied hoppers came after a large batch of 250 wooden-bodied 20t hoppers in 1916, and they preceded the 100 20t steel-bodied tipplers built in 1937 (for example 1177 in the photo above).

Has anyone seen any photos of these?

I wonder what they were like. A search on the HMRS photo archive for hopper wagons gives a surprisingly large variety of early steel-bodied ore hoppers, many of 20t capacity, but none built by Stableford.

There are some interesting photos of railway activities at Irlam in this presentation, on slide 59 there is a rake of what might be hopper wagons on the iron ore wharf in 1932:

http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/wotec-2099725-steelmaking-irlam-cadishead-edited/