VTG Telescopic hood wagons

Iron Horse

Right then guys

I seem to remember whilst trawling the internet the other week a picture of a Peak disappearing into Kennaway tunnel with a VTG Telescopic hood wagon immediately behind the loco. I thought at the time that's nice I could have one of them on my West Country based layout :)

What I didn't realise until going through Hattons website yesterday was that Dapol made one. But then doubt set in, having been on many holidays in the 70's, 80's and 90's down that way I'm sure I never saw one and then I thought did I really see that photo or did I imagine it and now of course I can't find it all.

So the question is did VTG Telescopic hood wagons end up at any point of time in the West Country? Cheers in advance ;)

Not sure i've ever seen a photo of one, or any other air brake steel coil carrier for that matter. :scratchhead:

I'm pushed to think of any reason they might be seen down there; though the first batch had folding covers for the coil wells, the only non-coil traffic I ever heard of them being used on was zinc block traffic. Thus, if they were seen in the south-west, it would probably have been on some sort of coil traffic; were there any possible customers down there?

I think I have just gone mad, silly thing is I can still see the picture in my head, if I ever find it I'll let you know.

Cheers gents

It might have turned up as part of a c**k-up.. In the 1970s, a friend of mine worked as a technician at a Royal Navy Supply Depot, where the heaviest items normally dealt with were equipment cases made of thin plate. One day, his section got a call from the gatehouse, saying there was a piece of steel plate for them. They were bemused when the gateman said he was sending the lorry down, and even more bemused when they saw it was a low-loader carrying a piece of armour-plate, of considerable thickness, rather than the normal 22 swg or whatever. Someone had made an error in transcribing the digits of the order, and no-one had thought to query it.

I am also struggling to think why one might have gone that way.

There were occasional marketing exercises where different wagon types were put on show,

but with no likely coil traffic to the west country that makes no sense.

Perhaps a coaster loaded with coil making a passage of the English Channel got into difficulties and put in somewhere (Par?)

for repair, and for part of the cargo to be removed and sent away by rail?

cheers

I could imagine plate for ship repairs to Falmouth maybe, not sure they would use coil though.

I could imagine plate for ship repairs to Falmouth maybe, not sure they would use coil though.

Despite the proprietary representations by Bachmann and Dapol, the sort of plate that is conveyed in coil is quite thin (Arthur on here can probably give an idea of exactly how thick), and not much use for building anything bigger than a toy boat. 

Despite the proprietary representations by Bachmann and Dapol, the sort of plate that is conveyed in coil is quite thin (Arthur on here can probably give an idea of exactly how thick), and not much use for building anything bigger than a toy boat.

We use galvanised steel coil where I work, ours is only 1 to 2mm thick (used to make the punched metal plates that hold wooden roof trusses together).

We use galvanised steel coil where I work, ours is only 1 to 2mm thick (used to make the punched metal plates that hold wooden roof trusses together).

That's at the upper end of what can be easily coiled and uncoiled, I suspect; looking at tin cans, car bodywork etc, it would seem about 1 to 2 mm is more usual.

Sure it wasn't a VTG ferryvan?

It must have been mustn't it, I take it they ran down there?

Sorry gents I spent about 3 hours last night looking at my browsing history and still couldn't find the pic...........Think I'll go and stand in the corner :laugh: :laugh:

Archived