GWR Metro Tanks (455) in Cornwall, 1930's.

Dale

Hi folks,

In 1934, as far as my reference material shows, there were 3 metro tanks of the 455 class sheded at Truro.

1463 and 1464 were built together as part of lot 57 in circa 1881/2 and 1499 was a little later as part of Lot 91 in 1892.  The single metro Tank at St Blazey was 1446 and another Lot 57 engine.

Would I be correct in saying all of these engines would be fitted for autocoach push pull?

I have been trying to find photographs of any of these little engines to determine if a suitable kit exists so I can build one for my layout.  The South East Finecast kit has a full cab according to the picture on their website but I am unsure if these Cornish engines had a full or half cab.

Can any of the GWR boys shed some light on my quandary and perhaps offer some advice on suitable kits?

Many thanks.

D.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

In 1934, as far as my reference material shows, there were 3 metro tanks of the 455 class sheded at Truro.

1463 and 1464 were built together as part of lot 57 in circa 1881/2 and 1499 was a little later as part of Lot 91 in 1892.  The single metro Tank at St Blazey was 1446 and another Lot 57 engine.

Would I be correct in saying all of these engines would be fitted for autocoach push pull?

I have been trying to find photographs of any of these little engines to determine if a suitable kit exists so I can build one for my layout.  The South East Finecast kit has a full cab according to the picture on their website but I am unsure if these Cornish engines had a full or half cab.

Can any of the GWR boys shed some light on my quandary and perhaps offer some advice on suitable kits?

Many thanks.

D.

My Finecast Metro kits are either half cab, or full cab.

An e-mail to Dave at Finecast should clear that up. He's a helpful sort of chap.

Ian

There's a picture of a small Metro in the St Erth bay, c 1928 IIRC, but I can't remember which book. Also, a small Metro was on the Chacewater-Newquay line for a while.

I think the RCTS volume details which were auto-fitted, but I suspect the Truro engines, even if auto-fitted, were probably not used much in auto-mode.

No idea, but by 1934, the majority of the class were full cab. For full cab locos, bunkers were usually 6B or 6D. Rod styles differed, as did tool box positions. Some small Metros had top feed boilers. Suggest go to a show where some of the picture merchants are displaying their wares, and have a good look through what's on offer for your period.

Hi Dale

Reference my RCTS book the three you mentioned were all auto fitted with enclosed cab (type 93 in my book,not sure how it corresponds to Miss P's rating).If you need more loco's you could have 1494 scrapped 12.37 from St Blazey.1496 scrapped 10.35 from Penzance.1500 scrapped 9.37 from St Blazey all full cab,1494 not auto fitted.

Regards bizerba

• 1 year later...

Bought this of 1499 in the Hungerford Arcade, Hope this is useful. It is a rather faded sepia postcard with no copyright details printed on it. This image has been converted to greyscale and enhanced using auto matic photofix settings on paintshop pro.

I too hope to build a model some day possibly by 3D printing but need some suggestions as to a suitable chassis. My first thought is a Triang Nellie with new wheels but am having trouble getting Romfords these days and even more difficult finding the larger diameter axels made for Triang models so any alternative chassis suggestion would be welcome

Metro Tank 1499

Bought this of 1499 in the Hungerford Arcade, Hope this is useful. It is a rather faded sepia postcard with no copyright details printed on it. 

Many thanks for sharing, a nice atmospheric picture. 

Archived