Is Dutch DCC the same as British DCC?

WD0-6-0

In a few weeks I'm going to Holland and one of the places I'm planning to cost is the Dutch NRM. In the Dutch NRM there is a class 3700 and I would really like one of the Artitec 3700s however if it won't work on my layout there is no point as its to expensive for me to justify otherwise. I would like the sound version but at £500 I really can't afford it so if I can get one it would need to be the DC version and if they do work on british systems that leads me onto another question. Will I need to buy a Dutch chip or will a british one do?

Thanks all

Rhys

There is no such thing as Dutch DCC, or British DCC, or German DCC, or US DCC. DCC is DCC, and the electrical connections between loco and decoder, and the data interfaces between decoder and controller are all standardised via the NMRA standards.

However, there are different versions of digital control, and you are more likely to come across these if buying in continental Europe. They are: Maerklin Motorola (MM) as used by the first generation of Maerklin digital locos; Maerklin's later developments, mfx and mfx+; and a version developed by the old german Trix company called Selectrix. So again be careful if you buy a loco with a decoder fitted, or just a decoder on its own, elsewhere in Europe that it will work with DCC. Fortunately, many continental european decoder manufacturers make multiprotocol decoders, i.e. ones that will work with some of all of themain digital systems, i.e. DCC, MM, mfx, and Selectrix, as well as DCC only versions. The DCC only versions are often slightly cheaper than the multiprotocol versions of the same decoder.

You cannot use MM, mfx or Selectrix decoders with a DCC system, unless it is a multiprotocol system like the ESU ECoS. Even then there can be problems with mixing different single system decoders on the same track.

If you are buying locos anywhere that Maerklin are popular, such as much of continental Europe, particularly Holland, Germany, Austria & Switzerland, make sure that the loco is the 2 rail version, as most continental manufacturers, Roco, Brawa, etc, also make 3 rail AC versions of their models for use on Maerklin layouts. Maerklin branded models are always 3 rail AC or contain an MM or mfx decoder. Since Maerklin bought german Trix some years ago, that is the brand used for Maerklin's 2 rail DC offerings.

If you like Asian food, you have to sample the Indo-Chinees, which is to The Netherlands what Indian and Chinese food is to the UK: but superior to either IMO. In Utrecht 'Blauw' is consistently good.

Oh, and seeing you are from Cornwall, try to refrain from using the term 'Dreckly' while over there. It might cause some misunderstanding.

Keith, you missed the Fleischmann FMZ system, now defunct. It was dropped when Fleischmann was taken over by the same company that bought Roco, in favour of the Roco DCC system (made by Lenz, IIRC)

Rhys: the Dutch NSM is only interesting if you like the NRM in York, as it's modelled on that. Which basically means it's no longer a museum, but a theme park and a pretty lousy one at that, IMO :rolleyes: Anyway, do enjoy your stay, but don't pay too much for your Artitec model! There's a large-ish hobby shop in Utrecht, Kuijpers Hobbyhuis: http://www.kuijpers-hobbyhuis.nl/ Browse around, use a translator service if you need it, they don't have web pages in English. Last year Artitec released the next Dutch steam loco, the massive NS6300, a 4-8-4 tender loco. It's even more expensive then the 3700 :O

One thing to note when visiting the Netherlands: although many Dutch speak English, it's not always very fluent. Especially if you have a strong local accent, you may find they have trouble understanding you. So, be patient and write it down if you need to ;)

I didn't mention Zero 1 either, also defunct, or the DCS system used by MTH in the US, which I believe they still use.

Thanks everyone for the advice about the DCC systems and just about Holland and my holiday much appreciated. I'm confident having done more research and saving that I won't be able to afford one on this trip but I won't stop me from trying and if I don't this time I will still be getting one in the future.

Rhys

Thanks everyone for the advice about the DCC systems and just about Holland and my holiday much appreciated. I'm confident having done more research and saving that I won't be able to afford one on this trip but I won't stop me from trying and if I don't this time I will still be getting one in the future.

Rhys

With the current exchange rates, now would be a good time to make your purchase.

Paul

Archived