New French narrow gauge layout in 1/32 scale

kirtleypete

I can't believe how long it is since I posted about Mers les Bains!  The reason for this post is that the layout has been refurbished ready to take it to Trainsmania at Lille at the end of April, so here are a few more pictures:

33798057475_b4c6561a8f_c.jpg

It will be interesting to see what the French make of it.

33798058045_ba28c34fa5_c.jpg

33798058515_e0eac38f15_c.jpg

If anyone is interested in French narrow gauge, I have just published the second edition of 'Narrow gauge on the Cote du Nord' which is available on Amazon along with all my other French narrow gauge books.

32985113233_e38b292d72_c.jpg

I've just finished a couple of new four wheeled coaches; I'll see if I can get a picture of them taken tomorrow. That will be about all the rolling stock we've got room for.

32985113843_17c4f5db8e_c.jpg

33798060145_ec76922ba8_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 10

This is the new rolling stock, two coaches and a Fourgon.

33425500600_7d34c366d7_c.jpg

The two coaches are based on preserved vehicles, but customised to suit the Cote de Picardy railway of course.

33810218645_2b222e12bf_c.jpg

The red coach would have been painted in a much more drab livery by 1952, but since when did reality get in the way of a nice model?!

32967248214_cb5f46594a_c.jpg

33425499540_124c68761b_c.jpg

After looking at these pictures I'm going to redo the planking on the end balconies using stripwood.

33425499350_4d728cc3bb_c.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 7

It's amazing how looking at a picture can show you what's wrong with a model, but looking at the actual vehicle it looks OK!

I've replaced the printed paper planking on the balconies with real stripwood, and done the same on the steps. It will need a little weathering, but it looks far better so I went back to some of the old stock and did the same to that.

32999266293_e84aa136df_c.jpg

32999265403_baf04b292d_c.jpg

33427450240_989362a349_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I think I've remembered everything - we're all packed up ready for the trip to Lille.  The floor plan arrived yesterday; we're right by the entrance so we'll be the first layout people see when they come in....that means we've got to be ready at opening time, no period of grace like the ones at the far side!

What is a bit worrying is that no where on the plan are there any toilets....as we're open from 10am to 7pm on Saturday I think we're going to need some.

I'll post some pictures when I get back on Tuesday.

Peter

• Like 1

What is a bit worrying is that no where on the plan are there any toilets....as we're open from 10am to 7pm on Saturday I think we're going to need some.

I'll post some pictures when I get back on Tuesday.

Peter

Ahhh! The bouquet of a bucket! - and we can do without pictures of that, thank you very much!  Have a safe trip and enjoy yourselves

Back safely from Trainsmania, which was brilliant but exhausting. It was held in the 'Grand Palais' in Lille, and if you're picturing something like Versailles think again!

34249591292_72e8182381_c.jpg

It looks better on the inside!

The show was a one-off celebrating the 80th birthday of Loco Review magazine and LR Presse put on a cracking good exhibition.  We found getting to Lille was easy, but when we went to book into the hotel and park the van we found that all the car parks in Lille are underground and are designed for cars...our van wouldn't fit in any of them! After driving round for two hours on Thursday afternoon in rush hour traffic we went back to the exhibition and left it there....on Sunday night we parked it in a bus lane outside the hotel and hoped for the best...fortunately we got away with it.

This is the exhibition hall; we were right by the main entrance.

33598795913_e73c4b27ff_c.jpg

There was loads of room, but it was needed because Saturday in particular was incredibly busy. We operated for nine hours solid on Saturday, from 10 to 7, which was a bit testing, and then at the end Voie Libre wanted to photograph the layout for the magazine and we had to look all cheerful and full of energy as we had our pictures taken.

34277965571_ccbd705bf2_c.jpg

We picked up invitations to Nancy, Boulogne and Montelimar shows which was nice so we'll be taking our bit of France back home again.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Back safely from Trainsmania, which was brilliant but exhausting. It was held in the 'Grand Palais' in Lille, and if you're picturing something like Versailles think again!

34249591292_72e8182381_c.jpg

It looks better on the inside!

The show was a one-off celebrating the 80th birthday of Loco Review magazine and LR Presse put on a cracking good exhibition.  We found getting to Lille was easy, but when we went to book into the hotel and park the van we found that all the car parks in Lille are underground and are designed for cars...our van wouldn't fit in any of them! After driving round for two hours on Thursday afternoon in rush hour traffic we went back to the exhibition and left it there....on Sunday night we parked it in a bus lane outside the hotel and hoped for the best...fortunately we got away with it.

This is the exhibition hall; we were right by the main entrance.

33598795913_e73c4b27ff_c.jpg

There was loads of room, but it was needed because Saturday in particular was incredibly busy. We operated for nine hours solid on Saturday, from 10 to 7, which was a bit testing, and then at the end Voie Libre wanted to photograph the layout for the magazine and we had to look all cheerful and full of energy as we had our pictures taken.

34277965571_ccbd705bf2_c.jpg

We picked up invitations to Nancy, Boulogne and Montelimar shows which was nice so we'll be taking our bit of France back home again.

Peter

Montelimar, a bit of a trek!

Beware that many French shows don't pay expenses.

• Like 2

Montelimar is at least in the southern sunshine. May should be just about OK temperature wise. 

I had also heard that about expnses, but had no problem at RAMMA when I was exhibiting a couple of years ago. I did notice that a lot of layouts did not have anything running later in the day, and I was the only one actually with a train running(on auto shuttle) in my area, but that did not seem to matter. Unless you actually want to work hard, it does pay to have something you can just switch on and leave running.

The French seem to have a much more laid back attitude to operating; we take the view that people have paid to come and be entertained. Lille was pretty good in that respect; we did wonder if LR Presse had laid down some conditions.

Peter

• Like 1

The French seem to have a much more laid back attitude to operating; we take the view that people have paid to come and be entertained. Lille was pretty good in that respect; we did wonder if LR Presse had laid down some conditions.

Peter

Hi Peter

It was good to see you and of course Mers les Bains (which did look great) on Friday and Saturday. I don't know how much time you both had (was it just the two of you?) to see the rest of the show but it was about the best I've been to in France and Loco-Revue clearly pulled out all the stops for their 80th anniversary.

Operation has always seemed less of a priority at French shows and I think their approach tends to be more a landscape (or village or townscape) with trains running through it than trains operating in a landscape. From what I saw on Friday, on most layouts trains did simply run through the various scenes and it was only on Mers les Bains, Pempoul, Olivier and Gaelle Taniou's latest industrial layout and one of the N gauge layouts in the AFAN are that I saw much actual shunting going on.  I've operated various layouts at French shows over the years where visitors have been rather intrigued by this strange British habit though I think that may be starting to change.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

I think you're right; things do normally go quiet operationally between noon and two o'clock!

There were just John and I, it keeps the costs down and stops us wandering around the show spending money. I'm glad you enjoyed the layout, it was a really enjoyable show to do.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I think you're right; things do normally go quiet operationally between noon and two o'clock!

Especially in France where meal times and lunch in particular are virtually a religion.

Many smaller shops still shut every lunchtime.

I have seen traders shut up shop at an exhibition for the standard 2 hour lunch!

• 3 weeks later...