New French narrow gauge layout in 1/32 scale

kirtleypete

• 1 month later...

We took 'Mers les Bains' to Eurotrack in Southampton at the weekend and also there was Martin Petch with his 1/32nd scale Belgian trams. By the end of Saturday the Ostend tramways had bene extended along the coast, through Dunkirk, Calais and Boulogne to terminate in Mers les Bains!

We couldn't run them because Martin uses a different wheel profile on his garden line, but they looked very much at home posed in the station to have their pictures taken. 

15318882291_4a77ef57ca_o.jpg

15298932966_f20d62ed9f_o.jpg

15135225359_f814fbdbca_o.jpg

15321967825_46fd9e5ab1_o.jpg

15135268450_035bd1c5af_o.jpg

15298929796_ec1a54a30c_o.jpg

15298929396_6174e58d64_o.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Certainly not the only 1:32 narrow gauge as there are modellers using the Scalelink WW1 series of models. But they represent 60cm gauge rather than metrique.

It's a very practical scale for modelling French prototype as there are lots of building kits (plaster) intended for military modellers.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am looking forward to seeing this layout next year, possibly York, partly because it's French, but mainly to compare notes on modelling metre gauge in 1/32 scale. Yes it has been done before, but not to the same standards. I have been dabbling in various scales/gauges over the years and have used 32mm gauge to represent both 3ft and 1metre gauge.

Its just a pity that it is caught between Gauge 1 which has upped to nearer 1/30th scale, and the military modelling scale 1/35th , which happens to be better than 1/32 for modelling 60cm gauge, unless you want to up the gauge. I intend to also model 50cm gauge but in 1/32 so will nicely fit in with my proposed 1metre gauge.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I am looking forward to seeing this layout next year, possibly York, partly because it's French, but mainly to compare notes on modelling metre gauge in 1/32 scale. Yes it has been done before, but not to the same standards. I have been dabbling in various scales/gauges over the years and have used 32mm gauge to represent both 3ft and 1metre gauge.

Its just a pity that it is caught between Gauge 1 which has upped to nearer 1/30th scale, and the military modelling scale 1/35th , which happens to be better than 1/32 for modelling 60cm gauge, unless you want to up the gauge. I intend to also model 50cm gauge but in 1/32 so will nicely fit in with my proposed 1metre gauge.

If you are interested in 50cm gauge, I take it that you have visited the preserved line at Lavaur.

Lavaur

Assume you mean the Cf de Tarn.

Unfortunately I have always been too busy doing up house on the short stays I am down there, but one of the locos I want to design for 3D printing is the Crochat loco.

Hopefully next year I will be able to stay down there longer so might get up to the line.

Another reason I want to see 'Mers les Bains', is to check out the 'non working' wagon turntable, as I have been designing some working wagon turntables for 3d printing. I wasn't sure on diameter for metre gauge, but as many of the 2 axle wagons have a wheel base between 2.5m and 3m, I thought 3.5m sounded about right. On looking at one of the photos above in windows paint, I estimate diameter is about 11cm, which is close to 3.5m scale. That's something else to design before York next year, so no hurry(probably be ready by the weekend!)

Scrub that initial estmate, as 12ft is so close, I wonder if that was used as standard wagon turntable diameter. That works out at 11.4cm in 1/32.

Standardisation is the important thing, and companies would not deliberately do something different , as it would probably lose them trade.

Looking at the photos above, I don't think I would want to walk on the stones. Many of the photos(pre 1945) in books either show tarmac(or something similar), packed earth, or something a bit heavier.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

Assume you mean the Cf de Tarn.

Unfortunately I have always been too busy doing up house on the short stays I am down there, but one of the locos I want to design for 3D printing is the Crochat loco.

Hopefully next year I will be able to stay down there longer so might get up to the line.

Another reason I want to see 'Mers les Bains', is to check out the 'non working' wagon turntable, as I have been designing some working wagon turntables for 3d printing. I wasn't sure on diameter for metre gauge, but as many of the 2 axle wagons have a wheel base between 2.5m and 3m, I thought 3.5m sounded about right. On looking at one of the photos above in windows paint, I estimate diameter is about 11cm, which is close to 3.5m scale. That's something else to design before York next year, so no hurry(probably be ready by the weekend!)

Scrub that initial estmate, as 12ft is so close, I wonder if that was used as standard wagon turntable diameter. That works out at 11.4cm in 1/32.

Standardisation is the important thing, and companies would not deliberately do something different , as it would probably lose them trade.

Looking at the photos above, I don't think I would want to walk on the stones. Many of the photos(pre 1945) in books either show tarmac(or something similar), packed earth, or something a bit heavier.

France was some way behind Britain in the matter of metalled roads. For instance, photos of the Tramway de l'Aude at Lezignan-Corbieres show the N113, the major trunk route across Southern France, as still being unmetalled in the late 1920's, early 1930's.

So roadside tramways would be running in compacted earth.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

By the 1950s many roads were being tarmaced, A quick look at photos and film from the period is best way to check. I have been surprised by what I have seen on occasions, and it is not uncommon to have found local councils attempting to make their towns looking old and traditional getting it wrong now. 

Most of the metre gauge lines around Carcassonne did not survice the 1930s, not too many steep hills to hinder local buses even on dirt roads. My house is not far to the north, over the Departmental border.

The surface on our local bike route on old railway line is probably very similar to what many roads were like, packed earth with a few loose stones, and you have to be careful cycling on it. Quite a contrast to local roads now, which have some of the best maintenance and money spent on them in France.

• 5 months later...