NSE coaches in Scotland late 80's early 90's

scottishlocos

Guys

Need some help with one I have seen NSE coaches in pics of Scottish trains one is behind a class 47 on Highland mainline the other is behind a class 26 on a local Fife service. Does anybody have pic of these on these trains and why did they appear? At this time I thought sprinterisation was in full swing and locos and coaches were heading down south Class 47'7s to NSE. Were some coaches retained after the problems with sprinters especially the 158's

Iam asking because farish are producing the NSE coaches and I am thinking of getting some for my loco hauled train

Regards

Dave

Here are a few from the Inverness area in 1990. Roddy MacPhee's Flickr stream is well worth a look if you're researching Scottish train formations during this period.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11103441633/in/set-72157637845853796

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11103805944/in/set-72157637845853796

And a complete rake (with a Mk1 in the formation)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11669452465/in/set-72157637845853796

A veritable indian summer for loco hauled stock which I was privileged to be able to enjoy a few times in the period 1990 - 1992 (and a few times later too). IIRC the issue was with the late delivery and general unreliability of the 158s. They took other units (156s mainly I think) to cover the Edin - Ggow & Abrdn services so had to fill the void regionally. NSE were displacing LHCS from services such as Northampton, Oxford & Newbury and maybe even the GEML so the redundant Mk2 stock was sent north. 37s (not just the 37/4) and 47s were pressed into frontline service with workings such as Aberdeen - Inverness, Ggow & Edin to Inverness and Ggow to Ft William. I think there was also a push internally to get rid of Scotrails vacuum brake only mk2s for the ex-NSE dual braked stock but not 100% when this happened. I think the summer saw extra services which were all LHCS so you could go to Kyle and such places as well as the main cities.

Intercity were also using pairs of 37s on the highland sleepers around this time too.

Unfortunately I haven't any pics but I rode on the line between Inverness and Nairn a few times in the 1980s and was really surprised to find I was in NSE liveried Mk 2 stock, especially considering it was only recently that the NSE livery came into being.

I think there was also a push internally to get rid of Scotrails vacuum brake only mk2s for the ex-NSE dual braked stock but not 100% when this happened.

No service stock Mk2s were dual braked they were VB (MK2z) or AB (MK2a and later) - there was some swaping of VB/AB between some MK2z/Mk2A but none were X. In 1994 all Scottish early Mk2s were VB.

Archived