Another mystery location

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it's anywhere up the Portbury branch, because I don't think there's any old disused track left on the Portishead bit, and the track to Portbury Docks is certainly not that overgrown. However, I remain to be corrected on that one.

Otherwise, the land beyond the railway reminds me a bit of the salt marshes up between Hallen Marsh and Severn Beach, but I'm not aware of a bridge like that and again, the railway is too moribund in your photo for the passenger section.

It cannot be Pasminco, can it?

Alternatively, surely nothing to do with Stoke Gifford tip?

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it's anywhere up the Portbury branch, because I don't think there's any old disused track left on the Portishead bit, and the track to Portbury Docks is certainly not that overgrown. However, I remain to be corrected on that one.

Allow me to correct you! It is indeed the Portishead branch as it passes under the M5. I haven't followed the route, but I understood that the track is still in place up to the outskirts of Portishead.

At any rate, here is the junction with the Portbury line.

post-7404-12650613565064_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Allow me to correct you! It is indeed the Portishead branch as it passes under the M5. I haven't followed the route, but I understood that the track is still in place up to the outskirts of Portishead.

At any rate, here is the junction with the Portbury line.

post-7404-12650613565064_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Andy

And perhaps I should add that, although it doesn't look like it, this picture was taken from the right side of the fence.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, is the view in your second shot looking towards the docks, or back towards Bristol? Looks useful for fotting the coal and car trains

cheers

jo

AS the other posters have said, it's looking towards Bristol. I also plan to photograph trains on this line, but there aren't all that many viewpoints due to the growth of trees and foliage all along the route. The M5 Avonmouth bridge has a footpath on the Bristol side with a good view, but I don't think there's a footpath on the other side overlooking the docks. There are a few good views in Pill Village, but thereafter it's more or less trees all the way to Clifton Bridge.

As for trains, I think quite a lot of them run in the hours of darkness, especially at this time of year, but just at the moment there seems to be an EWS coal train running towards Portbury that passes Pill at about 2pm.

Andy

The M5 Avonmouth bridge has a footpath on the Bristol side with a good view, but I don't think there's a footpath on the other side overlooking the docks.

I can confirm that there isn't a footpath on the docks side.

Archived