OO and N together?

Has anyone hidden an OO line in an N gauge layout?

I'm looking at something to placate the kids with running their Thomas/etc and some of my trains that I have grown up with, and was thinking a single loop around the outside of the layout with the n gauge layout in the middle of it.

The question would be how to blend the track in well enough that it just looks scenic...

I am aware that it will use up a large chunk of space to do this, which I still need to look into a bit more

• RMweb Gold

Why not lay a double loop of N gauge track with the distance between the outer faces of the rails set at 16.5mm so that the children can run Thomas across the pair of tracks? 

Hopefully this will make sense,,,

R 9mm R - 16.5mm - R 9mm R

Where R indicates rail, the two sets of 9mm are the N gauge tracks and the 16.5mm is the distance between them but will accept OO trains.

You would need any over-track structures to be quite high and you wouldn't be able to have any crossovers between the two N gauge lines but it would give you both options of running without being too obvious.

Andi

One thought I have just had is to have a loop of OO on the bottom - just about tunnel mouth to tunnel mouth along the front - and N gauge above. Practically 2 separate layouts, just occupying the same space and it would mean I don't have as much space eaten up by the radius needed for the corners of the OO loop

Archived