RMweb

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Plenty enough there to keep you busy for a bit eh Nick? :)

Certainly do!

I've also got the 1955 fleet to do too! ;)

post-7376-0-24351500-1455384324_thumb.jpg

The two 4575 locos in GWR livery will be repainted into black and detailed. I will also build Comet chassis for the pair as their original Bachmann chassis don't run too smoothly.

4573 is an a factory weathered example, which I bought back in 2007-8 I think. I'm not convinced by Bachmann's efforts, so I will probably repaint this loco too into Black with large early crest and weather it more realistically myself.

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 8

You won't remember Rodney Pearce, but he modelled in 3 MM and had 2 main layouts, Burton Ash, which was to 14 MM and his biggy in the garage which was 12mm......

So he built two chassis for each loco!

Two for the price of one.....sort of......So........;)

Ps.....we had monthly sessions with the biggy, took 7 of us to operate, couldn't work out one month what was wrong......till Rodney realised he needed to swap a cpl of the chassis back!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not all engines in the 60s were green, some were black - or very dirty so you couldn't tell. In other words - the black ones could be used for either period...

Hi Tim,

Yeah 4555 will be one of the engines in black, as that loco was photographed at Coryton in 1962 in filthy condition. I know that 5511 was also in black, which is another possible loco for the stud. 

Kind regards,

Nick. 

• Like 1

4555 was seen at Clutton in 1959. As yours is now an OO engine, I can't let you run your 4555 over my layout.

I think the GW journal has some pictures of 4555 at Buckfastleigh, before repainting by the preservationists, could be worth checking...

• RMweb Premium

You won't remember Rodney Pearce, but he modelled in 3 MM and had 2 main layouts, Burton Ash, which was to 14 MM and his biggy in the garage which was 12mm......

I remember Burton Ash, lovely layout, is it still around?

Cheers, Dave.

All of Rodney's stuff, was disposed of after his death, mainly amongst members of the 3mm society.

Burton Ash went to a private home I believe, a lovely model made by a lovely man.

I have a few odd bits of rolling stock, as momentos.

Happy days, we used to have great fun operating and never once got through a sequence, with Rodney writing a different timetable for each month!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Come on Nick, any up-dates please,

just anything will do :O 

Haha!

Well Carrie and I walked down the old line form Horrabridge to Tavy yesterday, I only took a couple of pictures as it was bloomin cold! So really one had to keep moving, I will upload a couple of photos in a bit (currently using my iPad).

When it's a tad warmer we will walk it again and take some really detailed photos of the route. Carrie has also said that she would be more than happy to move to that area of the world, result! We did look up the price of the houses on the station site, but 6 bed detached houses overlooking a beautiful small village, are slightly out of our budget currently!

However, here is a nice shot of 4588 working an afternoon Launceston - Laira freight.

post-7376-0-35173200-1456688318_thumb.jpeg

Followed by a short passenger working over Walkham viaduct.

post-7376-0-00805300-1456688377_thumb.jpeg

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 18

Couldn't have picked a better site than Shaugh Bridge platform!   Saw a Castle there once in the late forties, no doubt on one of the many cheap excursions to the Moors.   I often wonder why the viaduct was destroyed only to build another.  The original fitted in so much better than the later concrete monstrosity/

Brian.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've read through this thread with increasing interest; as a former Plymothian who was born too late to remember the branch (but not too late to remember hydraulics) I have a stud including 4569, 5568, 5376 and 6400.

If you have not already found it, the Cornwall Railway Society's webpage www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/plymouth-to-launceston-the-gw-route.html is full of inspiring photos.

There are some very interesting formations on the branch to model: 4:30pm Tav to Plymouth; toplight autocoach, 6407, BCK W6940(no suffix W).   The Middleton Press Launceston & Princetown branch book shows that you can even use centenary stock: 4592 + Fruit D, 3 milk tanks, centenary BCK (E150, 6650-55), probably a C67 3rd, centenary BTK (E120).   Now this looks a bit different (under magnifying glass) to the Airfix version, so I suspect it is the left hand version, just two coaches built (4577/8) which had a large corridor window where Airfix right hand version (4 built) has a toilet window.

Maurice Dart's book (Last Days of Steam in Plymouth & Cornwall) tells us that 4591 and 4592 had bufferbeam numbers painted on c. 1960; there is also a photo of 4549 (inside steam pipes) similarly treated in another book, at Devonport which can be dated to after February 1960 (when it still had its smokebox numberplate).

You can also run a 55xx on an autocoach (5572); 5511 and 5560 were also fitted, appearing ex South Wales in 1958.  I've not seen photos of either working auto on the branch, but 5560 did work to Saltash.

5511 is interesting, camera shy, but appears in "Western Steam in Devon & Cornwall" (M. Welch) pre 56 logo, black, very clean, station pilot at Plymouth in  September 1960.

5544 and 5545 both have two steps on the tank fronts rather than the usual one - I think I've seen 5569 similarly with two steps, and just found a contradictory photo, so this is a "beware, tanks changed at overhaul" situation!

Re. post #157, I would be surprised if clearance was the reason Castles were not allowed past Yelverton, 45xx are also high and the tunnels were built for broad gauge.   More likely the Horrabridge bowstring girder bridge or Walkham viaduct prevented red engines.     The bowstring girder bridge may be a pig to model and unfortunately there's little left of the abutments to see how the girders "sat" on the masonry.

I can understand the lack of progress, personally having been frustrated by house moves, and ending up with several half finished pieces of different layouts which had too much work done to justify scrapping them.  

I think it is great when someone has enough courage to model a real station; it adds an educational and historical side to your layout, especially if you exhibit it.

Paul

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just read through these 10 pages.  Think this is set to be an awesome layout of a fascinating prototype location.  45xx lovers' paradise!  Look forward to eventual updates.

John C.

:​(My layout: STOKE COURTENAY.  See layout threads.)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi gents,

No I haven't moved on, just been incredibly busy with work as Tim said. I haven't done any modelling what so ever since June, the Mojo has gone currently. 

The summer holiday flew by; I spent 3 weeks redecorating various rooms, fitting carpets etc and then Ofsted turned up at the end of September. I couldn't attend Scaleforum, which was a pain, as I was hoping would inject a bit of enthusiasm again. Still, never mind. 

I certainly haven't given up, but no space and no time = no modelling currently. I haven't bothered posting on here for a while, simply as I didn't have anything worth posting! 

Hopefully October half term (2 weeks away now) will kick-start the modelling again.

Cheers for your interest and support.

Take care,

Nick.