Hi Andy just caught up with this must say your going well on this keep up the good work buddy

Mark

Cheers Mark, its coming on nice thanks to Lee's help, (got to say that here as I've just seen him lurking at the bottom of the page, ahhah)

All the best mate.

Edited by Andrew P

Well at last another big step forward, I have managed to get the old Kitchen Units inside that have been under the Blue Tarpaulin outside since we moved in in May, its a good job that we've had a dry Summer, but heavy rain is forecast for tomorrow so good timing.

post-9335-0-61688400-1412358868_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14328900-1412358876_thumb.jpg

Once I have the rest of the stuff and the other Kitchen units out of storage they will go all down the left hand side.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 16

Hi Andy

I can't believe that my first post on here is on page 67, :O and there's still no sign of a railway. :scratchhead: Since I was last active on RM you have had a lot happen but still achieved so much, I think you need to come up here and I can teach you how to live in the SLOW lane. :mosking:

I think we are both on our lifetime projects now but I have no doubt that this time next year you will have passed me and left me trailing in your wake, probably sticking the 547,123rd leaf on a tree :sarcastichand:

Take it easy mate and stick to that 1 or 2 hours a day like me - I can't have you getting too far in front

• Like 5

Hi Andy

I can't believe that my first post on here is on page 67, :O and there's still no sign of a railway. :scratchhead: Since I was last active on RM you have had a lot happen but still achieved so much, I think you need to come up here and I can teach you how to live in the SLOW lane. :mosking:

I think we are both on our lifetime projects now but I have no doubt that this time next year you will have passed me and left me trailing in your wake, probably sticking the 547,123rd leaf on a tree :sarcastichand:

Take it easy mate and stick to that 1 or 2 hours a day like me - I can't have you getting too far in front

Hi Jim, great to see you around again and still leaf counting, I certainly have slowed down but I promise there will soon be some real Model Railway to look at, I hope, hahha.

Keep looking in Jim, you may be surprised when the track comes in.

• RMweb Premium

. . . . . . you may be surprised when the track comes in.

So will the rest of us especially if it is before page . . . . .(insert number of choice and smiley as required.)

Great progress. I hope you checked the units for snails before moving them in, they seem to love anything under a tarpaulin.

Dave

Yes, every one was turned upside down, there's a few things I DON'T LIKE, and slugs, snails and spiders are just 3 of them, its nice and clean, which actually surprised me I must say.

• Like 6

Andy,

Didn't realise you were going to cook in there as well!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I’m looking forward to a fry up when I finally get to visit Andy..........that and a pint of best or three....

We’ll probably all be about 80 by then.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Best, Pete.

Not Andy, when he gets going he's like a rocket propelled dervish. We may be 80 but he'll be double that age even though he's only taken the same time as we have to get to our respective ages.

I'm still amazed he hasn't at least put some grass down somewhere in the potting shed. After all, he kept moaning at Mike for not grassing bits of Dent quick enough.

He hasn't even weathered the inside of the shed yet and then wasn't the slightest trace of sleeper grime on the drive. He really is slipping.

Well I've had a really good tidy up this afternoon after catching up on some sleep in the Chair before Lunch, having got up at 5am to watch Grand Prix Qualifying.

Anyway, back to matters Railway, or should I say Potting Shed, as I say I've now got a better idea of how things might look.

There are two more double base units to go in on the left hand side from the door up to the other units.P.S. I do have the cupboard doors.

post-9335-0-44850900-1412438290_thumb.jpg

The right hand side will have my Work / Spray Bench and some old white dressing table units when they come out of storage.

I also bought a Fire Extinguisher today. Having had a fire when I was in a loft working on a layout, and only one way out, I don't want that again.

post-9335-0-58153700-1412438471_thumb.jpg

And also there was a spare Smoke alarm left over from the Bungalow that will go in as well.

post-9335-0-43874600-1412438532_thumb.jpg

Also my intruder Alarm System arrived today and now just needs installing, but as I have said there will be NO PICTURES of that.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Will you be fitting a CO alarm as well? I wonder if there's any risk of triggering either type of alarm when you're airbrushing and whether the alarms that you can put into quiet mode for a short period - I think they beep at regular intervals to remind you that they're in quiet mode - would be better if you experience problems like that.

One observation passed to me when we fitted powder extinguishers to our (now sold) narrowboat. Give them a good shake every few months to stop the powder congealing (or whatever it does when left standing for long periods of time).

Andy

Will you be fitting a CO alarm as well? I wonder if there's any risk of triggering either type of alarm when you're airbrushing and whether the alarms that you can put into quiet mode for a short period - I think they beep at regular intervals to remind you that they're in quiet mode - would be better if you experience problems like that.

One observation passed to me when we fitted powder extinguishers to our (now sold) narrowboat. Give them a good shake every few months to stop the powder congealing (or whatever it does when left standing for long periods of time).

Hi Ray, thanks for the SHAKING tip, but I see no need for a CO alarm.

• Like 1

I’m looking forward to a fry up when I finally get to visit Andy..........that and a pint of best or three....

Best, Pete.

Am liking your new avatar...also noticing the New Yawker......only will take a while to recognise you .....no red guiatarrrrrr...yyeeeee harrrrrr.......... :jester:

• Like 2

Best, Pete.

That's better Pete, back to a Strat at least, hhaha.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I chose the CO2 extinguishers. Just a blast of CO2 to starve the fire of oxygen no water,foam or powder thrown over your stuff and not issue with electrics. Some years ago working in an enviroment with fibreglass and other stuff we had a demo from the firebrigade and a couple of us including me got ask to have a go using one on a a big tray of burning oil.

Nice to see you are thinking of all the right things,

Don

Dear Andy,

It's great to see the progress that you have made on your new railway room - keep up the good work, but see my comments below.

In the meantime I'm still slowly getting there with my own somewhat smaller shed (insulation and lining out), I guess still a few weeks away before I can get an electrician in.

Biblical rainfall today in Essex so it was a relief that the new shed was dry throughout, but the rain was a bit noisy on the roof :O Hopefully the roof insulation and lining out will reduce that noise a lot.

I hope you and your good lady wife are both well and I sincerely hope that you are not pushing yourself too much.  It's good to have a project to work on, as I have, but please, please, please take it easy.  It's a stay at home layout (I assume) so no exhibition dates to meet.  Fine, have your own deadlines to meet but don't publicise them too much - stress related issues will arise.

Great to see the progress you have made and are making but there's no rush.

Best wishes,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I have a couple of days work and have to jump pages on return and boy has the potting shed come on.  Its also been great to begin to see the 'old' Andy returning and giving advice to the G&W OO team.

I read about 'clouds' above somewhere (no pun intended) - incidentally my artist has gained commissions on cloud painting since posting mine on (ssh FB) - and think yours would be great done why you can still reach the back and to avoid spray paint on the forthcoming layout.  The trees etc. that you paint so well can be added later once the rest of the track and scenery is in place.  As a former resident of Gloucestershire I also can confirm that the sun shines well so a nice blue sky with the odd white cumuli would look great.

The spray booth ... you do not like spiders etc. crawling all over your layout and have 'sealed' the holes so perhaps you need a two-function extractor fan ...Function 1 to get rid of the solvent so that you are not overcome by the fumes and Function 2 to extract the 'creepy crawlies' that come in when you open the 'bank vault' door.

Cheers, P

• Like 4

Not Andy, when he gets going he's like a rocket propelled dervish. We may be 80 but he'll be double that age even though he's only taken the same time as we have to get to our respective ages.

I'm still amazed he hasn't at least put some grass down somewhere in the potting shed. After all, he kept moaning at Mike for not grassing bits of Dent quick enough.

He hasn't even weathered the inside of the shed yet and then wasn't the slightest trace of sleeper grime on the drive. He really is slipping.

Quite correct, not a mention of grass Ray! Andy is curled up in the corner trying to form a reasoned response, wait till he sees my recent 'grass attack' on Dent later today!

• Like 3

l don't know what he's on ?  don't think it's grass, l think now that things are moving at a great pace he can see 'Bitton' really happening at long last and that has given him a big boost ? health wise as well..

George

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

l don't know what he's on ?  don't think it's grass, l think now that things are moving at a great pace he can see 'Bitton' really happening at long last and that has given him a big boost ? health wise as well..

George

I'm a bit concerned about responding to that lest it seems as though we're moaning (nicely) when all we're really trying to show is our support and trust he doesn't over do things. I've been there and done it but like most I doubt it would necessary stop me doing it again even with all the best will in the world.

I can see how the health improvement might be related. I suppose it is a bit like when interest in an ongoing project wanes until suddenly something incites a revival and we're off like a Class 1 express train again.

Like others I'm a little concerned that Andy's enthusiasm may run away with him and he'll lay himself up again. That said from comments he's made recently he may still not be fully recovered although that could simply be that he needs to rebuild his stamina after his period of inactivity.

I'm sure we can all share the frustration he must be feeling.

On the brighter side he does seem to recognise when he needs to stop and is so far managing to curtail his enthusiasm.

What I think he really needs is a recently finished layout where he can sit and watch trains roll by in between spells of working on another one!

• Like 1

Hi Ray, I missed this yesterday, but just seen Mikes (cheeky) reply, No grass on Bitton for some time I'm afraid, loads to do that must take priority, but at least I can look out of the windows and see the grass in the garden, that reminds me, it needs cutting again.