4mm Mark 1 BG in Blue Grey - trying to find

Though noting that the Blue/Grey BG in Legomanbiffo's Class 87 DCC Sound video does have Commonwealth bogies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91FVZgsrEMA

Presumably this is inaccurate for the period concerned (as well as the BG being at the wrong end of the WCML Mk3 L/H formation)?

I think you might be right, all the 100mph BGs were either on B4s (NEA or NEX) or specially maintained B1s (NEV).

Which begs the question, when were Commonwealths first fitted to BGs and what number series was used for them. Isnt that 2 questions?

Though noting that the Blue/Grey BG in Legomanbiffo's Class 87 DCC Sound video does have Commonwealth bogies.

Presumably this is inaccurate for the period concerned (as well as the BG being at the wrong end of the WCML Mk3 L/H formation)?

It sounds good though!

It depends when that particular class 87 received TDM equipment, had a repaint, if it got new headlights.  There may have been some crossover, but it is unlikely Commonwealth bogied BGs would have been allocated to the WCML, churlish to say it never happened.  If I was to include a BG in a blue/grey rake of air con stock on any region, it would get B4 bogies and NEA numbers.  It is far more likely to be accurate.

You are also quite right, the BG would normally be at the London end, in front of 1st class (less distance to carry the contents and freeing up the majority of the platform for passengers), but again, I don't think anyone can say that it never happened.

Alun

I think you might be right, all the 100mph BGs were either on B4s (NEA or NEX) or specially maintained B1s (NEV).

Which begs the question, when were Commonwealths first fitted to BGs and what number series was used for them. Isnt that 2 questions?

You could always read the rest of the thread, the post you quoted in fact, and post number 9 on the previous page!  :senile:

Alun

It depends when that particular class 87 received TDM equipment, had a repaint, if it got new headlights.  There may have been some crossover, but it is unlikely Commonwealth bogied BGs would have been allocated to the WCML, churlish to say it never happened.  If I was to include a BG in a blue/grey rake of air con stock on any region, it would get B4 bogies and NEA numbers.  It is far more likely to be accurate.

I take it back, I had a look at my Platform 5s to check allocations and decided to do a bit more looking around.  Here's a picture of a class 87 with a Commonwealth bogied NEX at Wolverhampton in 1986.  The BG has an additional grey line under the window line and is coupled to another NEX, with B4 bogies.  I also found this one at Preston in 1986, standard livery.  There were still a good few class 87s without TDM and painted BR blue around at the time.

Alun

• RMweb Premium

Just in case its of any interest, Rails have a blue grey Replica Railways BG on their Rails-vault ebay shop at the minute, but its lumped with 2 other coaches, an RBR and BSK, buy-it-now at £39.95, for whatever reason I can't copy and paste the link here I'm afraid.

JDW

The problem I have with Replica stock and ebay is I know I can go to the replica shop and pick up a bg for £10 in any livery, and their mail order works the same. On ebay, the bg's are mostly buy it now and all roughly around £20. The demand for blue/grey bg's is high now because replica have sold out which will only make the situation worse.

Personally I think it may be cheaper to buy from replica now and get 1 resprayed, It's what I'm thinking of doing. Get a western region or blood and custard livery carriage and it's just the 2 colours on the side that need altering which are already in position.

• RMweb Premium

The problem I have with Replica stock and ebay is I know I can go to the replica shop and pick up a bg for £10 in any livery, and their mail order works the same. On ebay, the bg's are mostly buy it now and all roughly around £20. The demand for blue/grey bg's is high now because replica have sold out which will only make the situation worse.

Personally I think it may be cheaper to buy from replica now and get 1 resprayed, It's what I'm thinking of doing. Get a western region or blood and custard livery carriage and it's just the 2 colours on the side that need altering which are already in position.

I didn't pay that much, they are not as detailed as the Bachmann, but they are short supply too.

And if I respray I would rather respray a £10 coach than a £30 coach.

You could always read the rest of the thread, the post you quoted in fact, and post number 9 on the previous page!  :senile:

Alun

So 1985 then, the book I looked in was the 1983 one, typical.

They're good people to buy from, very helpful and friendly.  I always look them up at shows.

Alun

Yep, they usually manage to relieve me of a few pennies as well.

I note all the Commonwealth bogied ones are in the 92xxx but does anyone know if one in the 8xxxx series was ever fitted with Commonwealths.

• RMweb Premium

So 1985 then, the book I looked in was the 1983 one, typical.

Yep, they usually manage to relieve me of a few pennies as well.

I note all the Commonwealth bogied ones are in the 92xxx but does anyone know if one in the 8xxxx series was ever fitted with Commonwealths.

Don't remember seeing any, will check my Platform 5 book later

I take it back, I had a look at my Platform 5s to check allocations and decided to do a bit more looking around.  Here's a picture of a class 87 with a Commonwealth bogied NEX at Wolverhampton in 1986.  The BG has an additional grey line under the window line and is coupled to another NEX, with B4 bogies.  I also found this one at Preston in 1986, standard livery.  There were still a good few class 87s without TDM and painted BR blue around at the time.

Alun

The additional line is white, Bounds Green applied these to certain of there vans for specific diagrams and usually had return to Bounds Green stencilled on the vehicle in black.

So 1985 then, the book I looked in was the 1983 one, typical...

...I note all the Commonwealth bogied ones are in the 92xxx but does anyone know if one in the 8xxxx series was ever fitted with Commonwealths.

Hi,

Likewise, the closer I get to 1990, the less books I have, my main interest being 1970s into the early 80s.  What I can tell you is that they were all renumbered into the 923XX and later the 924XX series when modified with Commonwealth bogies reclaimed from other Mk1 stock.  At the same time, ETH was fitted or de-isolated (if not already) and steam heating removed.  A completely different story to the B4 equipped NEAs, many of them receiving their new "shoes" years earlier, certainly before 1972, which is the earliest coaching stock book I own.

Due to the reclamations (for Southern electric stock too), you rarely if ever saw a coach with Commonwealth or B4 bogies on a heritage railway until the late 90s.

Alun

Archived