Suburbiton & my small Part

steve fay

Hi Steve,

Excellent work.

However I have a question. While I'm aware that it's a vast area of brickwork to pain, is there a reason why you don't paint it to show the mortar between the courses?

I think this photo of my old 4mm layout will show what I mean.

post-12902-0-86734800-1452809449_thumb.jpg

I do tend do give a white wash to show up mortar having said that a lot of buildings were filthy and the mortar used back then was dark in colour.

It really depends on the building and were it is,

I have been adding a little light mortar this evening to the top walls of the shed but there's still plenty more painting to be done yet.

Guttering now complete on one side, plus a nice cast concrete chimney,

post-5983-0-82985000-1453303578.jpeg

I've built up the roof vents but wasn't very impressed with the top as it was two pieces of ply glued to form an upturned V, I ditched these for some upturned tea tree candle holders. I used the same type on Canton.

post-5983-0-98155000-1453303705.jpeg

Dark mortar was not uncommon - whether due to the colour of the mortar or decades of pollution. e.g.:

attachicon.gif83271779.jpg

Dave

My Mum's old house in Bolton had dark grey or black mortar. Not sure what the mortar was bulked out with but I'm going to guess maybe some steam power byproducts! It felt a bit like smokebox char and there'd have been plenty of that going spare from mill boilers and engine sheds back in the 1920's when the place was built. The mortar was quite soft and the mortar lines on the house seemed quite thin.

JF

Hi Steve, just to echo what others have said top modelling work there with a critical eye for detail.

As with Jon Fitness sentiments, my Mum still lives in Bury in her Accrington red bricked built house, the house is now over 110 years old, and the mortar in those houses is black and very gritty to the touch, I remember my Dad telling me that the mortar was made up in part with coal or coke cinders.

Hope this info helps

Craig

Lots & lots of chairs today and everyone needs cutting in half!

Hi Steve,

You don't know how lucky you are, I am churning out 44' 6" track panels by the dozen at present. Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth the bother, but it is because it's got to look right in my eyes.

See you soon,

Martyn.

post-5983-0-59100300-1453904590_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-21205000-1453904609_thumb.jpeg

Here's the shed on the completed base, I just need to paint the rail sides and chairs.

The whole building has had various washes of colours to dirty it up but some areas do have lighter mortar showing through. I have to reduce the quality of the pictures to upload so it probably doesn't show up as well.

With these sorts of buildings I spray them black first then give light coats of brick so the black shows through, this highlights the mortar courses nicely.

It does really depend on the building and I try to follow pictures of real buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to do with Suburbiton but I just thought I would show this picture as it ties in with the mortar colour discussion, as I said earlier it really depends on the building and were it is.

This is a scratch built signal box built by my dad and in with me for painting. post-5983-0-05433100-1454753974_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Archived