Suburbiton & my small Part

steve fay

I've recently started to help out a friend with his large new project, it's a 4 track main line on the ex LSWR main line out of London. It will have 3rd rail which will go down once the track has been ballasted.

post-5983-0-85141200-1408303300_thumb.jpg

On my first visit I added the sand and weathered the track ready for ballast. This will be from the slaters range as they have now agreed to start supplying it again.

The station will be based on surbiton and will be designed by Pete Thompson of joint Lines. post-5983-0-58587900-1408303558.jpg

One of my next jobs will be to build a goods shed.

The layout will be split into the main scenic section, a large fiddle yard and then an engine shed and goods shed.

Permanent fixture, the room was purpose built for it. The owner loves EMU's and colour light signals so we will be having plenty of both.

Hi Steve,

It's shame It will be a permanent fixture as it would have been nice to see it on the exhibition circuit as well as your own layout sometime in the future.

Alan & I have the same issues in that even though we both have a few helpers it is essentially a one man project. This layout would require an arctic lorry to transport it. At least with these threads we can all follow the progress.

We used to travel in the morning train from Friary to visit relatives in Surbiton. It was there my interest was kindled in railways at a 'tender' age. The station was so modern, much

different from the Victorian structures in the South West as were the engines, Arthurs, Nelsons and other exotic stuff not seen west of Exeter. The Sothern's concrete structures always were fascinating to me and they seem to have endured over the years.

So thanks for this thread which will be of great interest.

Brian.

I have passing through Surbiton stationevery working day for the last 20 years or so though it is down to days a week these days. It even has a siding with a buffer stop and I once saw a wagon standing on it about ten years ago. Is it not sad that today's railway scene is so boring that one is excited by a single rusty siding and a buffer stop? By the same measure Woking is a delight and Eastleigh heavenly.

• 1 month later...

I think that the footbridge deck is a bit narrow, there are two footbridges side by side (a wide passenger bridge between the modern gatelines to the west and a footpath to the east with a further passage for the lifts stacked on top of the public footpath - I'm trying to remember if I've every been across the bridge at 'lift' level - I don't think so. The Bing maps birs eye view shows it quite well.

Jon

I think that the footbridge deck is a bit narrow, there are two footbridges side by side (a wide passenger bridge between the modern gatelines to the west and a footpath to the east with a further passage for the lifts stacked on top of the public footpath - I'm trying to remember if I've every been across the bridge at 'lift' level - I don't think so. The Bing maps birs eye view shows it quite well.

Jon

Thanks Jon but this is not a scale model, it's a very close representation of Surbiton, this station is Suburbiton. What Alan wants is to capture is the Southern at its most noticeable, four track main line, 3rd rail, intense commuter service and Art Deco. We spent some time searching the Internet and Surbiton really stuck out to us and Alan used to pass through there on a regular basis.

We thought we could do a good representation of it so its emidiatly recognisable but not an exact copy.

I came up with the name by the way!!!

Oooh now this looks very promising indeed.

I grew up deep in 3rd rail suburbia, travelled to and from school everyday on 4 Subs and Epbs

SR concrete architecture is a joy and that station building is going to be awesome.

I hope amongst all the units there will be Bulleid Pacifics storming through that station, and best of all Warships on the Waterloo/Exeter.

Thanks Jon but this is not a scale model, it's a very close representation of Surbiton, this station is Suburbiton. What Alan wants is to capture is the Southern at its most noticeable, four track main line, 3rd rail, intense commuter service and Art Deco. We spent some time searching the Internet and Surbiton really stuck out to us and Alan used to pass through there on a regular basis.

We thought we could do a good representation of it so its emidiatly recognisable but not an exact copy.

I came up with the name by the way!!!

I realised it wasn't a faithful copy, the point I was trying to make was that the proportion of the thing looks too tall and narrow, and as you seem to have the room adding a bit of the width back would do no harm.

Jon

Archived