My Laser Cutting workbench and my odyssey in model buildings.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update finished.

post-1485-0-85847900-1451679005_thumb.jpg

I'll add some plasticard hinge detail to hide the working door hinges. I may glue on slates but as this is demo model I don't think it needs it. 

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 2

Continuing to play around with signage I tried another approach.

Painted the engraved sign first, filled with white wood filler and wipe off before dry.

post-1485-0-95694700-1451943073.jpg

Might need a second application of the filler but I'm pleased with how it has worked out.

I'll try a lighter engrave and fill with paint on my next attempt.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You know, I can see the attraction of this LASER cutter!

...and I don't see it as some-how 'cheating'. You still have to have the idea, the imagination, concept, research, design and experimentation to get the final product. Even then you still have to make it and that's no different from a kit.

I just love what you have done in this thread.

One thing I don't like, (and I've put some thought into trying to improve it/fix the problem), is the 'dark cuts' made into the material.

This particularly shows up on the corners of brick structures where the two walls are 'interlaced' into each other. (Of course painting renders this a none problem!)

What does this material 'look like' when you cut it with a :-

1/ Scalpel

2/ Craft knife

3/ Use a Dremel cutter

4/ Use a Dremel abrasive 'grinder'

3/ File it?

I'm particularly interested in the 'finish' left on the work piece after the above tools have been used. (Distortion, stray fibres, etc...)

Can other materials be used? (I'm sure you have mentioned this before with the resultant fumes!)

Sorry for the questions. I'm just thinking of the possibilities...

Again, great work here.

Kev.

Hy Kev in answer to your "dark marks" question above.

This is a by-product of the laser which when cutting generates heat and therefore causes slight burning but in most modeling situations this is easily covered when painting up your model.

For this process to be profitable a balance between power of the cut and time. ie if you make less powerful cuts it will need more passes to cut through but would leave less edge darkening behind.

It should be possible but the cost per piece would go up so if you're happy to pay it might be achievable.

I'm sure Brushtype4 will expand and correct on this as required.

You know, I can see the attraction of this LASER cutter!

...and I don't see it as some-how 'cheating'. You still have to have the idea, the imagination, concept, research, design and experimentation to get the final product. Even then you still have to make it and that's no different from a kit.

I just love what you have done in this thread.

One thing I don't like, (and I've put some thought into trying to improve it/fix the problem), is the 'dark cuts' made into the material.

This particularly shows up on the corners of brick structures where the two walls are 'interlaced' into each other. (Of course painting renders this a none problem!)

What does this material 'look like' when you cut it with a :-

1/ Scalpel

2/ Craft knife

3/ Use a Dremel cutter

4/ Use a Dremel abrasive 'grinder'

3/ File it?

MDF cuts well with sharp tools. Any fibres can easily been sanded off with a fine wet and dry sandpaper.

I do my best to supply kits that are dry so with the right treatment they should last for years even in a loft/garage environment. I'd recommend priming with Halfords Primer and then using your preferred paints to finish off. All the kits are supplied so they can be painted in sections and particularly the windows so those nice sharp lines are easily achieved.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will make a few versions of a single road diesel shed including this one.

attachicon.gifIMG_0040.JPG

Hi BrushType4,

I've been following your work on this thread for a while and it's very impressive. I wondered if you have made any further developments with the single road shed as per your post on 15 Mar 2015?  In particular the version of the shed with the corrugated covering and small amount of glazing??

Looking forward to seeing more of your great work here.

Many thanks

Lee

• 2 weeks later...