My Laser Cutting workbench and my odyssey in model buildings.

I try and make all my kits as easy to build and paint as possible, but it was suggested if it could be made even easier to position windows without glueing. So whilst not possible on every building, this is my solution for perfectly positioned windows and glazing without glue.

post-1485-0-79642600-1499782715_thumb.jpegpost-1485-0-99942600-1499782725_thumb.jpgpost-1485-0-82826500-1499782733_thumb.jpgpost-1485-0-75163200-1499782739_thumb.jpgpost-1485-0-89308300-1499782743_thumb.jpgpost-1485-0-49469800-1499782750_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

What details are you looking for?

Did you model the coal stage to a particular prototype, or generic?

Was this a commission or do you plan to introduce this as a kit?

Was this created in 7mm or 4mm?

From what I can tell, it really is a good looking model, well done

Regards

Did you model the coal stage to a particular prototype, or generic?

Was this a commission or do you plan to introduce this as a kit?

Was this created in 7mm or 4mm?

From what I can tell, it really is a good looking model, well done

Regards

Chris,

Most of my kits are 7mm as that is my main area of personal interest. I will do 4mm for the bespoke work and on request but I have no plans to make 4mm kits available.  

This building is based on GWR design that was found all over the network. I used pictures and drawings from Slough as this was a slightly smaller version of a coal stage that has already been produced in kit form by another supplier. No point in duplication, unless a significantly improved representation can be made.

I've also made the windows, doors and wall panels to be interchangeable so that modellers can create a model more in fitting with their chosen location or time period that they are modelling. It does mean that my kits can look different on each layout. 

I had always planned to do this as a kit, but it was confirmed orders that prompted me to get my finger out. The first kits will be delivered in early September. 

Edited by BrushType4

Some one said to me today that laser cut brick work doesn't look realistic as it is all too flat and precise unlike real bricks.

Do you agree?

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_6da-e1498920398625-2000x829.jpeg

Straight off the laser I can see what they are saying, there is a very uniform precision to the look. However as in your picture once the finish is applied and the mortar is added they do take on what I think is  a very  realistic look.

Additionally your  corner treatment using interlocking bricks  looks very good.

This is 4mm/ft:

post-22541-0-52975800-1503266826.jpg

• Like 5

Both the above pics look nigh on perfect to my eye.

I've always liked laser cut bricks, especially once finished and painted.

If people have an issue with them looking too flat and uniform then they need to learn how to use sand paper, files and a knife. 3 minutes of texturing and chipping is not hard!

Nuff said.

Edited by Knuckles

I think people have got very used to looking at the (often very good) impressions and sometime caricatures that typify modelling over these years, and expect to see a certain thing. Things like your work might therefore look 'wrong' until you compare it to a photo of the real thing or whatever.....

Most buildings don't have spalled bricks everywhere, and look just as you've created.

Incidentally, i think the painting and mortarwork are stunning!

Looks good. I'm a fan of the look of laser cut wood bricks although to date I've never built one. Keen to do so though. Only one major area needs improvement and that is the corners. Interlaced bricks do look better than flat wood ends yet they can stand out sometimes.

Would some aggressive filing and sanding help blend them more? I would think so yet having no experience with these I can only speculate.

Looks good. I'm a fan of the look of laser cut wood bricks although to date I've never built one. Keen to do so though. Only one major area needs improvement and that is the corners. Interlaced bricks do look better than flat wood ends yet they can stand out sometimes.

Would some aggressive filing and sanding help blend them more? I would think so yet having no experience with these I can only speculate.

The corners should all be square if care is taken. Fine wet and dry will sand out most problems if needed.

post-1485-0-04493600-1503503497_thumb.jpg

All assembly needs care, but I think laser cutting makes it easiest to get neat corners and decent bonding. (I actually use a 10 inch file on mine!)

35586584916_b6cfe718e4_z.jpgIMG_2181

by giles favell, on Flickr

Excuse a thread invasion Phil, not up to your creation, and not available for sale from me, but again showing that corners are doable.

• Like 4

All assembly needs care, but I think laser cutting makes it easiest to get neat corners and decent bonding. (I actually use a 10 inch file on mine!)

35586584916_b6cfe718e4_z.jpgIMG_2181

by giles favell, on Flickr

Excuse a thread invasion Phil, not up to your creation, and not available for sale from me, but again showing that corners are doable.

Superb Giles. Drop by if you are attending Telford. Stand 64.